Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022 | 11:29 AM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R N M
Macan T is a sad development especially that it uses the VW inline 4.

This makes me think the 992T will be base 3.0l turbo with manual and not a NA 4.0L

Right now is probably the best time to sell your T if you want to maximize profit.
r.e. "selling to maximize profit" Guess it depends on how you measure profit. You can croak with too much money but you can't croak with too much happiness.
The following 3 users liked this post by supercroc:
85Gold (02-18-2022), S S (02-18-2022), spyderbret (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022 | 11:35 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Yikes. I am not sure I want to answer that… but here goes… Especially for all of those soon after me that have this coming.

And, a quick search, and it seems that 20k / 4 year service outrage threads appear quite regularly on the Rennlist.

First, I would tell you that (since i have the AP Racing BBK, and did a brake fluid flush, I told them to not touch the brake fluid - which would have likely added another few hundred.)

So, the cost was $1,990… six spark plugs, engine filter… and the other normal oil change / filters. The labor was around $1,600 and the rest was parts. It took the tech the better part of a full work day. (I got there at 7:30am… they had to let it cool for an hour… but didn’t seem to start until 11am… and worked right up to closing at 6pm.)
Just as a datapoint - that's pretty consistent with what I've been quoted for my work Monday - Estimate is $2350, but I'm also having them do some other small things (wheel touch-up, wipers, replace broken plastic clips). I've been told it will be in week or so (they are really busy).
Old 02-18-2022 | 02:20 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Hopefully a car maintenance episode on your Carrera T will never exceed its value!
So. Worf. It.

I have saved Alex C’s YT on how he changed his own oil.. but I am happy to give this car some love…. Err… all my hard earned bucks. But, in other news, my 2022 track / tire / fuel budget this year has been diverted into the Avant and a PC for simracing, so keeping the miles for wine collection trips.
The following users liked this post:
Wing Commander (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022 | 02:21 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Highly doubtful there will be a non GT NA 992.

Last edited by Ceepe; 02-18-2022 at 03:50 PM.
desmotesta (02-19-2022)
Old 02-18-2022 | 03:58 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by Ceepe
There is zero chance of a non GT NA engined 992. It seems like there will be a 992 T but it's going to have the 3.0 certainly.

they should release a NA 3.0 with everything stripped out - 19/20 inch wheels, sport bumper and fixed wing, no rear seats, no sound deadening, no carpets, carbon roof, full lightweight glass, aws, pdk, no sunroof, no fancy speakers or rain sensors, or lazy man auto-handles, in black/white/yellow/red only.

Then I’ll trade in my 991.2 T or a kidney for it… 😎 …. but it’s good to have dreams.
Old 02-18-2022 | 04:16 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G99x.y
they should release a NA 3.0 with everything stripped out - 19/20 inch wheels, sport bumper and fixed wing, no rear seats, no sound deadening, no carpets, carbon roof, full lightweight glass, aws, pdk, no sunroof, no fancy speakers or rain sensors, or lazy man auto-handles, in black/white/yellow/red only.

Then I’ll trade in my 991.2 T or a kidney for it… 😎 …. but it’s good to have dreams.
It would be a better business case to put the GT4 engine in there. Tried, tested, and no engineering necessary aside from fitment/package. I tend to agree with Ceepe, though I'd say chances are non-zero. Maybe they make a stripped GT-T.

Old 02-19-2022 | 09:32 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
It would be a better business case to put the GT4 engine in there. Tried, tested, and no engineering necessary aside from fitment/package. I tend to agree with Ceepe, though I'd say chances are non-zero. Maybe they make a stripped GT-T.
991.2 T, 718 T, Macan T...have all been BASE engine at the end of model cycle. Why do you think they would change the formula for 992 and plop in a "unique" engine? The business case is take something with sunk costs, and do something to try to make it special, with minimal to no investment, to drive a few additional sales.

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 02-19-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2022 | 10:15 AM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
991.2 T, 718 T, Macan T...have all been BASE engine at the end of model cycle. Why do you think they would change the formula for 992 and plop in a "unique" engine? The business case is take something with sunk costs, and do something to try to make it special, with minimal to no investment, to drive a few additional sales.
I don’t. These dopes were talking about a NA engine in a Carrera and someone said a NA 3.0. If they were going to do it (they won’t) they wouldn’t build a new engine when they have a perfectly good one on hand.
Old 02-19-2022 | 11:17 AM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Yikes. I am not sure I want to answer that… but here goes… Especially for all of those soon after me that have this coming.

And, a quick search, and it seems that 20k / 4 year service outrage threads appear quite regularly on the Rennlist.

First, I would tell you that (since i have the AP Racing BBK, and did a brake fluid flush, I told them to not touch the brake fluid - which would have likely added another few hundred.)

So, the cost was $1,990… six spark plugs, engine filter… and the other normal oil change / filters. The labor was around $1,600 and the rest was parts. It took the tech the better part of a full work day. (I got there at 7:30am… they had to let it cool for an hour… but didn’t seem to start until 11am… and worked right up to closing at 6pm.)

(It has been a good week for me to invest in car maintenance - I decided to treat my lovely A4 Avant to new pistons/seals, because ‘oil consumption’, which ended up costing $10k, which is more than the car is worth. But let’s not get into that questionable decision.)
Thanks!!
Old 02-19-2022 | 12:09 PM
ducktails
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
I don’t. These dopes were talking about a NA engine in a Carrera and someone said a NA 3.0. If they were going to do it (they won’t) they wouldn’t build a new engine when they have a perfectly good one on hand.
With respect, my original post referenced outside speculation that the existing engine used in the 781 GTS could be put into the next 911 Carrera T.

At no point did I say it was definitely going to happen nor that they would develop an entirely new 3.0. I don't see anyone else in this thread saying that either, I'm not really sure where that came from.

See: https://www.motor1.com/news/564934/p...-facelift-spy/

The smart money is a sticker and option pack with an MT option on the existing base Carrera, but Porsche is capable of pulling a wild-card move (much like the 718 4.0 GTS) and I think it would be an instant classic / hype machine.

If Porsche pulls this move this dope will be gratified to be proved correct

Thought the 'Carrera T' community was better than this.
Old 02-19-2022 | 12:26 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ducktails
Thought the 'Carrera T' community was better than this.
Just a little banter, mate.
ducktails (02-21-2022)
Old 02-20-2022 | 10:59 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

If Porsche were to stick with the ethos of the original 911T, then the 992 T would have a less powerful engine than the ‘base’ Carrera, with less standard equipment and at a lower price point. The original T was introduced as a model to fit below the standard 911, to be the new entry-level 911. It initially had 110hp (compared to 130hp for the standard 911) and a four-speed gearbox. 🤓
Old 02-20-2022 | 11:25 AM
Alc
Racer

It’s definitely been said in here a few times that BMW apparently owns “Club sport” monicker therefore they reached for the T which is in the past not necessarily for its past ethos. When this new-aged 991.2 T came out it was the lightest version of the Carrera lineup with all the sport focused, not touring focused, enhancements. It had the right balance of power/weight ratio, suspension dynamics, and gearing enhancements to make it what it is. Porsche didn’t just throw it together for a badge but designed it then were left with what to call it. But now that Porsche is throwing the T on other lineups that don’t follow that development, this is my speculation since I haven’t driven a Maycan T, it will negatively impact future T “specialness” that comes from a deliberately designed and tested vehicle for driving dynamics. But yes, if it held to the T of the 1968-1970s it would be cheaper, less powerful with none of the sport goodies.
Old 02-20-2022 | 12:41 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alc
It’s definitely been said in here a few times that BMW apparently owns “Club sport” monicker therefore they reached for the T which is in the past not necessarily for its past ethos. When this new-aged 991.2 T came out it was the lightest version of the Carrera lineup with all the sport focused, not touring focused, enhancements. It had the right balance of power/weight ratio, suspension dynamics, and gearing enhancements to make it what it is. Porsche didn’t just throw it together for a badge but designed it then were left with what to call it. But now that Porsche is throwing the T on other lineups that don’t follow that development, this is my speculation since I haven’t driven a Maycan T, it will negatively impact future T “specialness” that comes from a deliberately designed and tested vehicle for driving dynamics. But yes, if it held to the T of the 1968-1970s it would be cheaper, less powerful with none of the sport goodies.
Porsche’s model naming conventions are shot at this point. I really think they need a clean sheet approach. Problem is they care about nameplate snobbery because people will pay for that.

The Cayenne Turbo GT is a great example.

oh and let’s not forget the Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Alc (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022 | 04:50 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Cars that were driven as intended today...

​​​​

Sneaky Mc Attack...

Drive 'em!

G99x.y (02-27-2022)

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club