Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the Cobb tune which was installed by my dealership. I have no experience with Giac but I'm sure it's similar. The tune really adds a next level of excitement to an already great car. Car feels very factory just with the performance turned up quite noticeably. I get the new car itch very often. Spent last weekend test driving a 2019 Turbo S ( drove it twice because I wanted to want that car) and a McLaren 570S Spider. Both were great cars but neither had the combination of exciting and usability that my tuned T has. The Turbo S was very usable and great power but felt like a faster version of my BMW Sedan and the McLaren was very exciting but not something you could reach for the keys anytime you went out. Also the throttle response on the 570 in the lower Rpms was not as good as my T. I only offer up the comparison to say that FOR ME my tuned T is an amazing combination of performance, usability, and visceral experience that's hard to beat. My three prior cars were a 911-50, 2016 GT3 and 2018 GT3 Manual. Much to my surprise this car is making it very hard for me to consider my next toy. In stock form the T is great - tuned its awesome. Just my two cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by slvr993:
GT3FZS (11-15-2019), Jeahbladejeah (02-18-2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:42 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
I have the Cobb tune which was installed by my dealership. I have no experience with Giac but I'm sure it's similar. The tune really adds a next level of excitement to an already great car. Car feels very factory just with the performance turned up quite noticeably. I get the new car itch very often. Spent last weekend test driving a 2019 Turbo S ( drove it twice because I wanted to want that car) and a McLaren 570S Spider. Both were great cars but neither had the combination of exciting and usability that my tuned T has. The Turbo S was very usable and great power but felt like a faster version of my BMW Sedan and the McLaren was very exciting but not something you could reach for the keys anytime you went out. Also the throttle response on the 570 in the lower Rpms was not as good as my T. I only offer up the comparison to say that FOR ME my tuned T is an amazing combination of performance, usability, and visceral experience that's hard to beat. My three prior cars were a 911-50, 2016 GT3 and 2018 GT3 Manual. Much to my surprise this car is making it very hard for me to consider my next toy. In stock form the T is great - tuned its awesome. Just my two cents.
Just the Cobb tune? No exhaust (high-flow headers etc...)? Seems like an easy decision...
Old 05-31-2019, 01:17 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Just the Cobb and a stage 1 tune. Nothing else ( yet). With Cobb going to stage 2 or higher octane fuel is a simple download - I love that. Best money I've ever spent on an upgrade.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:04 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,219 Likes on 448 Posts

This is all music to my ears! If money were no object, the 991.2 GT3 with Touring Pack would be my dream car. However, back in reality I am relishing my Carrera T. Got it in April 2018 and have loved every one of the 17,000+ miles covered so far. Have already had work done on the suspension & to improve handling. In July I’m having more work done, taking the car to 480hp. My own ‘junior’ GT3.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:39 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

What did you have done to the suspension and what's next on your list? I'm deciding now what my next mod will be. As for the touring - I thought it was my dream car as well and told my SA to call when he got a used one in. I loved my 2018 GT3 but didn't enjoy all the attention the wing created. So I traded it for my T and waited for a touring. I got the call about a month or so ago and I went right over (5 miles) with my checkbook. I test drove it with a buddy of mine and couldn't pull the trigger. The T ruined me. I liked my T better. Blew my mind. Good on you for al those miles!!!
Old 05-31-2019, 02:49 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 808 Likes on 402 Posts

What did you have done to the suspension and what's next on your list? I'm deciding now what my next mod will be. As for the touring - I thought it was my dream car as well and told my SA to call when he got a used one in. I loved my 2018 GT3 but didn't enjoy all the attention the wing created. So I traded it for my T and waited for a touring. I got the call about a month or so ago and I went right over (5 miles) with my checkbook. I test drove it with a buddy of mine and couldn't pull the trigger. The T ruined me. I liked my T better. Blew my mind. Good on you for al those miles!!!

Damn! GT3 Touring is also my dream car and I was hoping to be able to get a 992.2 if they stay NA. Maybe it will be a 992.2 T now.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:47 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,219 Likes on 448 Posts

Shorter, stiffer KW springs. New bushes. Dropped car by 10mm at the rear and 20mm at the front. 7mm spacers all around.

In July am having ECU remap, new sports CATs, new manifolds and a Remus silencer.

All work being done by Litchfield Motors here in the UK.

Google ‘Litchfield Carrera T’ for details. I drove Iain Litchfield’s Carrera T and it’s awesome.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:57 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

Great to hear! My car is in getting Cobb tune right now! Cant wait! My car is optioned very light as well and Im doing coilovers with gt3 suspension arms so think the car will be tons of fun. I love drivability of those small turbos!
Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

From previous posts it appears that the Cobb tune produced greater results but from speaking with my local dealership, they can remove a GIAC tune without leaving any fingerprints. This may be incorrect. I’m also curious as to changes in drivability after tune.
i’m also Intrigued by similarities in P car ownership. I also had/sold a 911-50 but still have my 2018 GT3 pdk. The T (manual) is the more well rounded car and more enjoyable to drive overall. The GT3 engine with its high revving and quick spool up works much better with pdk. It’s also noises and not as engaging to drive on the streets. So I’m fortunate enough to have both.
i just now have to decide between Cobb or GIAC tune. I suspect it will come down to what my local dealer supports.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

All tunes leave a physical trace since the ecu has to be cracked open. The car also records boost and torque so youre f’ed if they do a data dump. Even though giac tune is done with piwis II and has power delivery characteristics similar to stock (although much higher limits). Dealers would process claims through Champion who offers a limited warranty that bypasses pcna for some drivertrain components, but there hasnt been a single post about this yet.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

I was at the dealer yesterday and they had a light day, I was there was alignment and balancing check. Spent couple of hours there with the master tech and I asked him about the tune, he said go for it
i asked him about porsche finding out about it, he said porsche doesn't look for it like audi does. So it won’t be reported to porsche in any way.
but if something goes wrong with the ecu then it won’t be covered as there will be physical evidence was tempering
also if engine blows up due to the tune then it wont be covered
but if anything happens which is not related to the tune then it wont be a problem
Old 06-01-2019, 12:00 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
All tunes leave a physical trace since the ecu has to be cracked open. The car also records boost and torque so youre f’ed if they do a data dump. Even though giac tune is done with piwis II and has power delivery characteristics similar to stock (although much higher limits). Dealers would process claims through Champion who offers a limited warranty that bypasses pcna for some drivertrain components, but there hasnt been a single post about this yet.
Which dealer installed the tune?
Old 06-01-2019, 12:02 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
I was at the dealer yesterday and they had a light day, I was there was alignment and balancing check. Spent couple of hours there with the master tech and I asked him about the tune, he said go for it
i asked him about porsche finding out about it, he said porsche doesn't look for it like audi does. So it won’t be reported to porsche in any way.
but if something goes wrong with the ecu then it won’t be covered as there will be physical evidence was tempering
also if engine blows up due to the tune then it wont be covered
but if anything happens which is not related to the tune then it wont be a problem
That is required by any warranty in the USA. I think we are all concerned about popping a motor. (POST IMS warranty denial at 6k miles for me.).
Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 PM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 5mm spacers pic please

Does anyone have the Porsche 5mm spacers installed on your T? If so, please post pics. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Das14444
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 160 Posts

I would also love to see pics of Ts lowered with spacers.

reading 5mm front and 10mm rear with H&Rs looks great. (TechArt doesnt seem to lower much)

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club