Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:07 PM
solemojo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for advice gentlemen
seeing that gauge with no boost drives me nuts!
I'm going to take an Pdk one for a run tomorrow with my salesman ( they don’t have any manuals in stock) see how it boosts.
my friends 2018 GTS needed new turbos, from looking on the web I have found nothing regarding my question, I guess people drive them and don’t notice the 0 boost?
I did rev it hard and the boost gauge for a split second showed 3 psi, but a car that developed power at 1700 rpm should show boost at and over that?

Old 07-05-2018, 01:39 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

After searching high and low I finally found a car to do our R&D on that should appeal to anyone looking for a track oriented .2 GTS with what will essentially be free upgrades when I go to sell it in 2 month's time.

It's a 2017 with PDK, 5 lugs, steel brakes and sunroof delete. If I can find a pair of carbon fiber sport buckets I am going to jump on those. More updates to come and tomorrow I should have a good dyno baseline.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2018, 06:25 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Nice, setup just like my car, except I have the 200 cell cats......
Will be interesting to see what you do with this.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by arter
Nice, setup just like my car, except I have the 200 cell cats......
Will be interesting to see what you do with this.
Thanks! I've ordered the downpipes from Cargraphic already but it will be a few weeks; I will tinker with the Cobb flash as well. Since I'm in Florida and it will be a track car I can handle the issues with going catless; I am concerned that setup will be too loud for some for the street so I'm gonna take one for the team and see how loud it is.

My goal is to before and after dyno everything we do so I can have a detailed upgrade report.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:52 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's a royal PITA to get to the coil packs to get an RPM signal so my dyno appointment is this week. I didn't want to make two trips so I sent the ECU out to Cobb first so I can dyno the car this week with and without the tune. My initial reaction is that I'm absolutely blown away by the increased power and torque from the file. It's nuts. The car now feels like you're being shot out of a cannon. The power delivery is as smooth as silk and the car drives just like stock!
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:15 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Cant wait for dyno numbers
Old 07-16-2018, 05:35 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Yup
Old 07-17-2018, 06:52 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts
Default Howdy John.

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
It's a royal PITA to get to the coil packs to get an RPM signal so my dyno appointment is this week. I didn't want to make two trips so I sent the ECU out to Cobb first so I can dyno the car this week with and without the tune. My initial reaction is that I'm absolutely blown away by the increased power and torque from the file. It's nuts. The car now feels like you're being shot out of a cannon. The power delivery is as smooth as silk and the car drives just like stock!
Hi John, I found you. : ) See if you can guess who I am.
I have a 2018 991.2 GTS. And oh yeah, I'm gonna mod the **** out of it. First performance mod was IPD Plenum. Then I added the AMS Alpha Performance intercoolers, preparing for full Stage 3 COBB. Whilst I have the access port, I haven't sent my ECU away yet. I have MPSC2 on front already. Will do rear soon.
I am also looking at brake up grades.

I will be adding VEKTOR headers with white lightening ceramic coating. Akrapovic Sports cats. Next on list is the DSC Module. I also like their state of the art electronically controlled springs and shocks. (if not them then Ohlins TTX)
Then i was thinking elephant racing adjustable bars and spherical bearings, but I just see you have some as well. (Nice we will talk)

You know who I am, drop me a message to confirm. : ) P.S. Love your work.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:38 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Hi John, I found you. : ) See if you can guess who I am.
I have a 2018 991.2 GTS. And oh yeah, I'm gonna mod the **** out of it. First performance mod was IPD Plenum. Then I added the AMS Alpha Performance intercoolers, preparing for full Stage 3 COBB. Whilst I have the access port, I haven't sent my ECU away yet. I have MPSC2 on front already. Will do rear soon.
I am also looking at brake up grades.

I will be adding VEKTOR headers with white lightening ceramic coating. Akrapovic Sports cats. Next on list is the DSC Module. I also like their state of the art electronically controlled springs and shocks. (if not them then Ohlins TTX)
Then i was thinking elephant racing adjustable bars and spherical bearings, but I just see you have some as well. (Nice we will talk)

You know who I am, drop me a message to confirm. : ) P.S. Love your work.
Thanks for the kind words! I normally cheat though and see what your location is next to your avatar but now i know who you are. I told you man...I think that you're on your way to having the most potent 991.2 GTS in the world. The car will need camber and it's going to eventually need dampers but i feel if i do that i'm definitely going to exceed my original plan to try and keep it under the cost of the GT3 because the GT3 has the coil overs, the split arms, adjustable toe links and the aero.,

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 07-19-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:47 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As I am sure others have done, during the time spent waiting to find the 991.2 GTS, I began sucking up everything I could find on the internet about the 991.2 Carrera. The most repeated thing was "a 991.2 GTS with a flash will make unbelievable power" and will walk all over a GT3. 3 weeks ago the yellow car showed up but I had to leave town to attend the next round of Porsche Club Cayman GT4 racing so my guys removed the ECU and sent it out to Cobb and it showed back up Monday. They provide an RMA, a box with packaging to protect the ECU and insurance to cover it in the event that it gets lost. I flashed the car and was immediately blown away by the increased power and torque but I wasn't prepared for the numbers I saw this morning on the dyno. It's a hot day today in Florida and by the time I got to the dyno it was already 95F outside. I drove the car about :40 min south so it was already heat soaked when I got there. I did 2 pulls with the Cobb tune installed and another 2 pulls on the stock mapping.

All I can say is HOLY COW!

100 horsepower and 100 lb/ft AT THE WHEELS is pretty impressive from the base tune from Cobb. Soon I will begin tinkering and creating my own mapping. Next I will dyno the IPD plenum & BMC filter intake upgrade and then I will do the bypass pipes. Cargraphic is sending pipes with 200 cell cats and as well as catless because I want catless for the race track but I want to also be able to tell people how much louder catless is and how much power it adds, if any. The graph is attached below! If you have a 991.2 base, S or GTS and you want what I now think is by far and away the best upgrade for the money, you know where to find us!

Cobb Dyno Comparison
Old 07-19-2018, 12:16 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Subscribed. Amazing numbers from just the tune is a hot/humid environment. Can't even imagine running that in the fall/winter cold temps here in the midwest. Wowza. Eagerly awaiting upgrade path developments.... Keep up the amazing work.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:19 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

BGB - Any concerns tracking this car with a stage 1 tune? Adding a third radiator ? I moved from a 2018 GT3 to a 991.2 as I hated the attention I got in the GT3 ( AMAZING car though).. This could be best of both worlds if I think I can track the car.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2018, 02:27 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by slvr993
BGB - Any concerns tracking this car with a stage 1 tune? Adding a third radiator ? I moved from a 2018 GT3 to a 991.2 as I hated the attention I got in the GT3 ( AMAZING car though).. This could be best of both worlds if I think I can track the car.

Jeff
It's funny you say that about the GT3 because we have a customer with a 4.0L X51 981 GTS because both the GT3 and GT4 were too showy for the street but he likes the 485/360 motor in the sleeper Cayman GTS. The reason i'm invested in this project is that i think that there are others like you that want race track potential in a less flashy car that still has good creature comforts. At a minimum, any Porsche going on track should install a center 3rd radiator and this car is no different; we want lower coolant temps to create lower oil temps to keep the turbos running as cool as possible as much as we want intercoolers to keep the air as cool as possible going to the turbo.

I hope to be 100% successful in tracking the car with the Cobb Stage I flash but if i'm not, i will dial it back some; i want to do all cooling mods first and then put it on track because you will all want to be able to use that 100hp on the track, otherwise what's the point?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:32 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Thanks for the kind words! I normally cheat though and see what your location is next to your avatar but now i know who you are. I told you man...I think that you're on your way to having the most potent 991.2 GTS in the world. The car will need camber and it's going to eventually need dampers but i feel if i do that i'm definitely going to exceed my original plan to try and keep it under the cost of the GT3 because the GT3 has the coil overs, the split arms, adjustable toe links and the aero.,
Enter Elephant Racing ! I just pulled the trigger on pretty much everything they have. So when all that arrives, I will have full adjustability beyond GT3. I also got the GT3 adjustable anti-sway bars and elephant racing end links.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I know the 991.1 GTS had the third radiator, I assumed the 991.2 also has the third radiator?

Tractive look to have the state of the art Coilovers. I am interested in those with the DSC module.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:37 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Front Control Arm

Adj Rear lower Wishbone

Anti Dive Anti Squat

Rear Wheel Carrier monoball

Adj Tie rod end

Adjustable end links

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread