991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018 | 10:45 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

LAVAGTS: I dont think anyone will disagree that fans will help keep temps down. For sure they will. However, if the initial run was made without fans then all subsequent runs need to be identical.

BGB: I had no idea you were paying for runs, I figured you had a friend in the biz or you did it for free. At $200 a pull it will certainly add up quick.
I do think the catless bypass pipes will produce significant gains, but the cost will be fumes, extreme loudness and CEL warnings. Yes, with the tune they can be cleared but, not sure I could deal with daily smell and noise.
Old 08-01-2018 | 11:41 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@ PTS-BRG: I ask Santa Claus for my own dyno every year but I haven't found one under the tree yet. If I had a dyno at the shop I'd dyno everything I could find including our golf cart. I don't own a dyno but there is one about 40 minutes away and they give me a discounted rate but it's still $200 per go. If you factor in the 3 hours that I lose at the shop by going and doing this along with the 3 hours I lose taking a tech with me who isn't generating revenue for BGB, the numbers add up rather quickly.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 08-04-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2018 | 03:06 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

When MotoIQ performed the test of our headers, they used the wind tunnel dyno at World Motorsport. Due to the location of the air intakes for the IC ducts being located on the top of the rear decklid, the blower fans to push air through the ICs were located at the IC duct outlets. So they basically pushed air reverse of their flow path in the real world, but it achieved the same purpose.

Last edited by VektorPerformance; 08-02-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2018 | 03:17 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Below is the datalog from the dyno session showing ambient air temp, intake manifold temp, and engine speed. 9 dyno pulls in a row over the course of 30 minutes were used to make sure the data was consistent along with the coolant and oil temperatures being the same at the beginning of each pull. Ambient temp was around 70F. Intake manifold temp measured around 110F when just 'cruising' on the dyno. Notice when the car is accelerating to get into the gear for the pull, and then the beginning of the dyno pull, the intake manifold temperature actually drops. We believe during cruising/light load with the throttle mostly closed, there is significant heat transfer from the engine block into the intake plenum and then into the intake air. Once the driver goes wide-open-throttle, the inrush of cold air brings down the measured intake manifold temp until boost starts to build causing the temperature to rise. Over the course of the dyno pull, the intake mani air temp went from about 95F to 137F. With the car idling but the IC blowers still going, it still took a couple minutes for the measured intake mani air temp to come down. You can also see the oil and coolant temps. Sorry, I forgot to scale them the same. Oil temp was 208F at the beginning of each run and 217F at the end. Coolant temps were 200F and 208F respectively.

Old 08-02-2018 | 08:35 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Vector: Based on your dyno tests, how much HP/torque did you gain using your headers?
Old 08-02-2018 | 12:03 PM
tango131
Instructor

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Vector: Based on your dyno tests, how much HP/torque did you gain using your headers?
info here, click on page 8 for the bottom line: https://motoiq.com/testing-vektor-pe...e-911-carrera/
no affiliation.
Old 08-02-2018 | 10:06 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

BGB - When do you think you'l hit the track with the modified GTS? Watching anxiously!
Old 08-03-2018 | 08:40 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by slvr993
BGB - When do you think you'l hit the track with the modified GTS? Watching anxiously!
I'm trying to get down to Palm Beach for a Wednesday night baseline run on the road course but August is busy for us. We have two trips to Road America (where I am right now for the IMSA race) and 1 to VIR all in the same month. I think plans are shaping up to go back to COTA in October and if I can get a weekend in September elsewhere i will but when I average 20 track weekends for work, I'm less enthused about going to a track on my weekend off!

December is when I am going to try and exceed my previous best top speed at Daytona of 182mph that I did in a 991.1 GT3. Hoping for 185 in the tri-oval at start/finish.
Old 08-04-2018 | 04:33 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Please forgive me if I am mistaken
4 point 0: PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU CAN SAY THAT THE IPD MAKES ANY MORE POWER THAN THE STOCK PLENUM.
I think the chart would support that the stock plenum produces more HP and torque at it peaks and over a broader range than the IPD.
If the chart was reversed and you told me the stock graph was the IPD graph, I would be more inclined to buy it due to higher peaks and broader range.

Sorry guys, this falls under the snake oil category for me, just as my speed shop guys told me it would.
John, great work. I know you want this thing to be a bolt on HP maker, but until you can show proof it does anything I would never put this in my car...
I am going to tell you this as a friend would. You are a pain in the ***, and you are being told information that you want to hear so people do not have to deal with you. OK. So whilst you are digesting that, I will clarify.

The IPD is an extremely cheap mod. One of the cheapest. So the profit margin in that item would be next to nothing, especially resellers. The three professionals you spoke to, thought to themselves, its just not worth dealing with this guy for the tiny bit of money. You are demanding the world form an extremely cheap mod. You want dyno's. you want proof you want put up or shut up. They want you to shut up and go away. They do not want your tiny bit of money. They don't want to deal with you, its not worth their time. So they tell you its not worth it. Which is the truth, its not worth the trouble for them.

Ok. How can I say it made power. Well I did my own dyno's with the Fans ON. This is an air flow mod. It is never going to show real results with zero airflow. Please argue with this. PLEASE. It is meant to have the vehicle hammering down the road sucking in cold air. Not stationary heating the carp up.

Its a floored test. I race loads of people. I know who beats me and by how much. And when I change something and the result doesn't change, I think that did little. But when I changed this and a result did change, I think NICE that made a difference. AND we dynoed with fans on before and after.

So stop being a pain in everyones ***. No one cares if you buy this cheapest mod on the planet or not. I have no dog in the fight. i am on the other side of the earth from all of you.

The Plenum was a massive pain in the *** to install. There is no room and it is a tight fit. But credit where credit is due. I want max power. I am not expecting that from a $950 mod. But it will add up in the grand total of the scheme. So lets put it to bed. Don't buy it. No one needs the aggravation. But you can't call a company a snake oil company, just because your expectations are unrealistic. You demand 15 HP or its snake oil.
No one is here to meet your demands. No one gets a prize for miss leading you. In my opinion, I think it makes power. I think it adds to performance. I am happy with that extremely cheap mod. Not trying to sell them. Don't care who has or hasn't got one.

Remember, I actually have one. So you can take advice form people who don't have one if you wish. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2018 | 04:36 AM
groundhog
Race Car

^^^ how was your track event and how did you go relative to your friend?
Old 08-04-2018 | 04:37 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^ how was your track event and how did you go relative to your friend?
I'll PM you .
Old 08-04-2018 | 10:56 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Guys does anyone know if its possible to swap a 991.2 Series 2 GT3 PDK diff onto a 991.2 Series 2 PDK GTS?

Last edited by groundhog; 08-14-2018 at 01:34 AM. Reason: missed 3 key letters
Old 08-04-2018 | 11:42 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

4 point 0: Well, I think the opposite. I think you know it doesnt work. I think you have buyers remorse. I think you probably feel like an A hole for buying a part that reduces power, but you need to come on the forums to justify your announcement publicly that you bought and installed this POS. I'm telling YOU this as a friend.

About no one wanting to deal with me, I mean do you just make this stuff up because you are creative? You dont know me or any of the three speedshops who deal with me. I had the entire back of the car apart, including air filter to get to the ECU and the labor was zero, it was right there if I wanted to install it. The mechanic cold have put any plenum I wanted back at that point and he said dont even bother. The stock plenum was sitting on the floor in front me and we examined what it was and what it was doing. Makes no sense to change it and the dyno supports that.

"I did my own dyno's with the Fans ON: By all means please show us the results, that would certainly support your claims that it produces power rather than you beating guys on the street that you couldnt before which introduces about a dozen variables and reasons why you lost then and win now. Show the dyno charts.

"
This is an air flow mod. It is never going to show real results with zero airflow. Please argue with this. PLEASE."

Ok, I will.. Both tests were done without fans. Both parts are airflow parts. Since both tests were performed under the same conditions then the IPD should show IMPROVEMENTS NOT REDUCTIONS over stock. The larger diameter, the dimpled interior, the improved design.. complete Horse ****. If it flows more air then why cant it flow more air than the stock part under the same conditions? Please argue with this, PLEASE.
The car PULLS air into the engineand there is no reason why a part that claims to be able to increase airflow, HP and Torque cannot do so over a stock "restrictive" part.

Of course fans would help with flow, but it would help with flow on BOTH plenums, not just the IPD plenum. Same with heat soak, fans would help but, heat soak would still occur on both even with fans.

If I had installed this part on my car I would not only ask for a refund, but I would ask the company for money back to cover the labor to install and remove it. Its cheap for a reason and it doesnt work.
I'm certain I speak for many when we tell you how happy you are you have one, enjoy it. We are happy we don't. XOXO
The following users liked this post:
sapman (12-05-2020)
Old 08-04-2018 | 12:15 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

PTS-BRG, remember 4 Point 0 doesnt have his Cobb unit yet, and thus maybe seeing a bigger benefit than he would with the Cobb tune installed.
You both may be right ( see my post #91 where I discussed the order of addition of add ons).
Old 08-04-2018 | 01:01 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Arter: There are so many variables that its nearly impossible for anyone to have a definitive answer. Personally, I dont know why there could be a bigger benefit BEFORE the tune using the IPD then AFTER the tune. If you can explain to me your thinking I would be interested. If anything, I would think that AFTER the tune it would/could produce better gains because a custome tune could account for the "higher flow" and the engine tuned would also benefit more from "increased flow" as boost, heat, etc. increased.

I have a proposition...
Why dont we start a Dyno fund to help John out? He is doing this for all of us and we all benefit from his work. Even $10 would lower his costs and allow us better and more accurate testing.
I am in for $50 towards a dyno run at 11:30AM using the sport Plus button so we can eliminate 2 more variables from this IPD situation and see if can do anything better than the first time.

John: Call or PM me and I will send you $50. I want another run eliminating the variables you forgot. Lets get an apples to apples test. NO FANS

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread