Sponsored by:

000 Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 02:00 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C
I went from being cautiously optimistic to pessimistic regarding issues 25 and 26. I am an S subscriber and still don’t have either issue nor an email that they were shipped. I do have around 10 emails from 000, starting in early June, that the shipment would be soon. The email from June said shipment by the end of the month. I love reading 000 and can’t wait for my S editions. I just hope I receive them sometime this year.🤔
You will, and please accept my apology for the delays…but the one thing we can't afford to do is deliver poorly constructed S editions (especially!). These are individually bound by hand, and the quality of the materials as well as the construction is critical given the expectations of our customers. We fly the cover material in, and it isn't cheap or easy to get…but I have yet to see an acceptable alternative and the need to ensure quality was only underlined by an auction for a set of 000 S donated to help fire victims. It's one thing to turn out a hardbound book from time to time (that's not to say it's easy!), but it has proven to be something else entirely to do so four times a year. We are, however, committed to getting those issues your way, and the 2023 slipcases are already in process.

As to the amount of communication, I understand Rebekah has been in communication with you, and we will always err toward too much communication with our customers rather than the opposite—and I encourage you to stop by and see us at the 000 booth at RR7.

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I receive a monthly professional journal full of topics relevant to my employment. The last issue of the year in December always contains an annual index for the prior 12 months of editions. I can usually remember what year I read something and then just go to the December issue for that particular year and check the annual index to track down an article. Putting out an annual index in the last volume of the year also breaks up the work into manageable pieces for the editors/publishers. Putting together the annual index would be a great job for a journalist intern, under some supervision, of course. Just a thought as anything would be better than nothing.
Thanks for this input, and we've been mulling publishing an index on our site or as an app for readers because it's superior when it comes to keyword search. This is another way to go, and something Excellence decided to do once, in Issue 074, and then not again. The question then, and now, is whether to devote content pages on a regular basis to an index—and part of the problem with a paper index is it is only as intelligent as the ones organizing it (where I erred when I look back at that Excellence index) and the one searching it (I probably err there even now when using the best indexes, and I'd put previous editions of EWE high on that list).

So I am curious for your take—if you could choose only one or two, which would you prefer? Web-based? App-based? At the end of each year, in print?

Originally Posted by sunspot2013
The quality of each issue of 000 exceeds that of most Porsche-themed books. I feel like it is material that would be required coursework in a PhD level education on Porsche. Having gotten through "Excellence Was Expected" and a litany of other books on Porsche history, 000 scratches the remaining itch I have to learn more.
^ Thank you for this.

It means a great deal to me, because 000 was created not just to address the decline of car magazines but to add something else when it comes to Porsche-focused reading material, and I will pass your comment on to the team because I know it will mean a great deal to them too. From behind the scenes, I can say that the work that goes into each issue goes far beyond what went into any periodical I have worked on—to the point we sometimes question our collective sanity.

One of our consistent challenges has been production timelines & fulfillment, which ended up being exacerbated rather than helped by moving production to the U.S. We made some hard choices to prioritize production quality over production timeliness when proofs gave us pause, particularly as our readers tend to save their copies. Several iterations later, the new printer hit (or possibly exceeded) the mark…but we obviously want and need both for our customers and are solving for that.

Originally Posted by Macduc
Arrived in Australia today Pete - looking great and will read over the weekend.
Now, that is impressive…as we still haven't seen our bulk shipment here at 000 HQ…
The following users liked this post:
PLom (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 02:02 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 393 Likes on 227 Posts

Mine came today- woohoo!!!
timothymoffat (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 02:49 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,451 Likes on 916 Posts

I think the index with the best search capabilities would be the most efficient????? That points to a web based program?
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
stout (08-23-2023), timothymoffat (08-23-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 02:35 PM
Larry C
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Pete,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I also heard from Rebekah that the S issues should be going out by the end of this week and she will be sending me the tracking number.🤙🏻🤙🏻
Best,
Larry Clemens

Last edited by Larry C; 08-24-2023 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 08-24-2023, 02:40 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 000 Magazine

Mine came yesterday (San Diego)

Cheers, -Peter
Old 08-24-2023, 03:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Mine arrived today! Just opened the box will pop open the packages later.
Old 08-24-2023, 04:05 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I think the index with the best search capabilities would be the most efficient????? That points to a web based program?
Yeah, my leaning too. Thinking site first, then possibly an app. One fairly easy to do, the other is a higher bar but worthwhile and might fit into something else we are working on.

Pete,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I also heard from Rebekah that the S issues should be going out by the end of this week and she will be send me the tracking number.🤙🏻🤙🏻
Best,
Larry Clemens
Thank you for your patience!

Originally Posted by PLom
Mine came yesterday (San Diego)

Cheers, -Peter
Originally Posted by Spyerx
Mine arrived today! Just opened the box will pop open the packages later.
Right on—and good to know. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2023, 05:01 PM
frederik
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

I would think a web index would be the easiest to make and to use, and could maybe boost single issue sales as well!

Since we’re discussing the magazine, I would also like to add that the type of articles that I enjoy most are about driving. Especially Richard Meaden seems to always nail this, for example with the 996 GT3, the Carrera four-cam cars (an epic piece) and recently the 718 GT4 RS. Another example is the ‘67 S feature by Jethro Bovingdon a few years ago, or the pieces about the 997 GT2 RS and 4.0 RS. And I remember missing this with the Carrera RS feature in 001 and recently with the 996 GT2 (which did include glorious photos though). With most of these cars, mere mortals like me are not likely to ever be able to drive them so this is the closest we can get! I’m sure you’re already aware of this but wanted to put it out here in case it might influence future editorial decisions.

Last edited by frederik; 08-24-2023 at 08:45 PM.
stout (08-26-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 05:10 PM
Larry C
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you’re accepting content recommendations, the GTS Chronicles would make a very exciting pictorial and read.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry C:
stout (08-26-2023), timothymoffat (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 06:00 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 465 Posts

Nothing yet......
Old 08-25-2023, 12:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Popped open the packages, new prints look good. Maybe slightly different than the old but as nice. One thing: They didn't shrink wrap the magazines inside the 000 box/mailer. Might be a good idea to do that when they are mailed in just the outer package (not in a separate box) in case they get wet in transit.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:42 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 248 Posts

Arrived today in Mass.

stout (08-28-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 01:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frederik
I would think a web index would be the easiest to make and to use, and could maybe boost single issue sales as well!

Since we’re discussing the magazine, I would also like to add that the type of articles that I enjoy most are about driving. Especially Richard Meaden seems to always nail this, for example with the 996 GT3, the Carrera four-cam cars (an epic piece) and recently the 718 GT4 RS. Another example is the ‘67 S feature by Jethro Bovingdon a few years ago, or the pieces about the 997 GT2 RS and 4.0 RS. And I remember missing this with the Carrera RS feature in 001 and recently with the 996 GT2 (which did include glorious photos though). With most of these cars, mere mortals like me are not likely to ever be able to drive them so this is the closest we can get! I’m sure you’re already aware of this but wanted to put it out here in case it might influence future editorial decisions.
^ Agree re: web-based, and have requested an estimate to implementation whether on our current site or a new one that's in the works.

If you’re accepting content recommendations, the GTS Chronicles would make a very exciting pictorial and read.
Funny you should mention this. We are big fans of the GTS models at 000, and happen to think there are a lot of customers out there in GT3s who would be happier in GTSs. PCNA's press dept was uninterested in seeing such a comparison between 992s, and blocked a request—but perhaps it's something we need to revisit without their input. I don't like the idea of using customer vehicles for evaluations of current models for a variety of reasons, but perhaps we'll have to.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Nothing yet......
Hm. Will check in on that. We have had some instances with the new fulfillment center strapping copies together erroneously in certain zip codes—but if you haven't seen it by now, please feel free to email us so we can check on your copy and/or get a replacement copy on the way.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Popped open the packages, new prints look good. Maybe slightly different than the old but as nice. One thing: They didn't shrink wrap the magazines inside the 000 box/mailer. Might be a good idea to do that when they are mailed in just the outer package (not in a separate box) in case they get wet in transit.
This too has been noted as a problem with the new fulfillment center. Was in the RFP, but got dropped on some or many copies being mailed out. They have addressed the matter, and agreed to replace any copies that do end up getting wet. I'd very much like to keep production in the U.S., as I agree the quality of the printing and paper is a match for the Canadian copies, and maybe even a hair nicer, but everything matters. Thank you, as always, for your support!
Old 08-26-2023, 01:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
Arrived today in Mass.

^ Love this image.

When the Typ 64 cover was shot, Alex and I felt it was do or die time for the kind of car magazines we loved (and maybe something a bit further), and felt 1939 was the right origination point for the larger Porsche story we wanted to explore.

When the Typ 992 cover was shot, 25 issues later, we had just watched the #000 911 Turbo S become the first road-legal car to climb Pikes Peak in less than 10 minutes. Quite an evolution, and quite a story.

The livery for that 992 was taken from Issue 013, an unlucky number and up until 2023 the hardest issue to get into customer hands. We thought we'd never face a challenge like that again, but one might say the tagline on the 992's hood proved oddly prophetic. So I'm glad to see these issues in customer hands, and the cover story might be the most personal I have published.

Thank you for sharing this, and for your support! If you're at RR7, please do stop by.
Old 08-26-2023, 11:05 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 465 Posts

As things go, I left for a weekend in Whistler and was notified a “package” arrived today. I never get deliveries Saturday. Curiosity peaked.

Quick Reply: 000 Magazine