Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,657 Likes on 2,712 Posts

Originally Posted by 911CSC
Has anyone added a front camera without going thru the system? Like maybe a blue-tooth using the cell to see the image

Trying to avoid hitting my front Techart spoiler om my cab
I haven't done this but here 'might' be an option if you want to use your phone: RearVision: A Redefined Wireless Backup Camera System | Pearl (pearlauto.com)

I used an Android interface to couple the front camera to the PCM display, another option is from Nav-TV: Back-up Camera Interface - PCM4-CAM - NAV-TV

All of the above systems will work for a front camera.
The following users liked this post:
911CSC (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 09:34 PM
911CSC
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I haven't done this but here 'might' be an option if you want to use your phone: RearVision: A Redefined Wireless Backup Camera System | Pearl (pearlauto.com)

I used an Android interface to couple the front camera to the PCM display, another option is from Nav-TV: Back-up Camera Interface - PCM4-CAM - NAV-TV

All of the above systems will work for a front camera.
Thank you, will look into them
Old 01-02-2021, 05:22 AM
rainer
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Unhappy

Ok, thanks, understood.

A pity that a helpful thread has to been made useless because of some folks making money out of it.

I believe I already have what you indicated as I stepped across the link and tools you mention already some while ago. Did not find the Porsche-relevant pieces first but took some time to read now and see where it probably leads. Still need to invest some more time to fully understand, but I guess I have the big picture and bricks required...

Still have not found the "mkxfs attributes" file anywhere, maybe I'm too stupid too google it..

BTW - I'm not really keen to enable Android Auto as we're an Apple family, I could not even test it. I'm looking after enabling the logbook indeed. I used it at my previous Cayenne and it's nicely integrated, but Porsche does not offer it anymore. Like w/ AA, money does not help at the dealer in this case...

Originally Posted by asellus
Google around and you can find all the tools needed, someone forked the repo and it's public.

For the FEC patching, there's a message left on my profile by someone linking a forum that has the FEC patch notes available.

These pieces were removed to keep people from making a business out of charging $500 for the modification to be performed.

Last edited by rainer; 01-02-2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:58 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by rainer
Ok, thanks, understood.

A pity that a helpful thread has to been made useless because of some folks making money out of it.

I believe I already have what you indicated as I stepped across the link and tools you mention already some while ago. Did not find the Porsche-relevant pieces first but took some time to read now and see where it probably leads. Still need to invest some more time to fully understand, but I guess I have the big picture and bricks required...

Still have not found the "mkxfs attributes" file anywhere, maybe I'm too stupid too google it..

BTW - I'm not really keen to enable Android Auto as we're an Apple family, I could not even test it. I'm looking after enabling the logbook indeed. I used it at my previous Cayenne and it's nicely integrated, but Porsche does not offer it anymore. Like w/ AA, money does not help at the dealer in this case...
I'm not sure PCM4 has logbook on it. If it does, looks like the FEC is 00060600.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:14 PM
rainer
Instructor

PCM4 has logbook on it. It was available in the pricelist for early PCM4 Macans (order date 10/2015, for MY17 which started Jan 2016) and could be ordered as option 9NY.

I'm not sure PCM4 has logbook on it. If it does, looks like the FEC is 00060600.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:19 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

PCM4 has logbook on it. It was available in the pricelist for early PCM4 Macans (order date 10/2015, for MY17 which started Jan 2016) and could be ordered as option 9NY.
Nice.

I'll go enable it in a little bit and let you know if it works on my '17.
The following users liked this post:
rainer (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 05:01 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know if the (unmodified) PCM 4.0 stock firmware can be updated via SD card or USB/ethernet? And if yes, how?
I'm running a fairly old version (MHI2_ER_POG11_P3299) and woud like to update to MHI2_ER_POG11_K5126 ... wondering if this is possible assuming one has the actual firmware files available?
Old 01-02-2021, 05:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,657 Likes on 2,712 Posts
Default Related question

Can somebody share the specs for the PCM 4 display in the 991 and 718? Specifically interested in the screen resolution?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2021, 05:52 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rookie1
Does anyone know if the (unmodified) PCM 4.0 stock firmware can be updated via SD card or USB/ethernet? And if yes, how?
I'm running a fairly old version (MHI2_ER_POG11_P3299) and woud like to update to MHI2_ER_POG11_K5126 ... wondering if this is possible assuming one has the actual firmware files available?
Yes, this is possible, and the firmware files are available on this thread. See post 205.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:10 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@rainer I don't think logbook is available, at least on my MY17 PCM4.

After applying the new FEC file with the 00060600 code, AA still worked (so my FEC file is being read) and there were no rejections listed, but I was unable to find anything through the menus for logbook.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:12 PM
rainer
Instructor

make sure you upgrade and re-code the dash cluster w/ Piwis as well (according to a Porsche TSB WG47) when upgrading the PCM4.

Individual settings in the cluster will be lost and have to be set again.

Last edited by rainer; 01-02-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:17 PM
rainer
Instructor

I recall there was a coding option parameter w/ Piwis. I guess it also needs to be activated w/ Piwis.

some while ago I put this to active w/ Piwis while playing around... of course nothing happened in this case as I did not change anything in FEC ;-)

same thing happened when the dealer activated my CarPlay - it did not work at first though it was installed. They had to check some entry to active...

I sold my Macan recently and am in the market for a new one, thus cannot test myself currently...
what I can do tomorrow is browse thru my FAP (vehicle analysis protocol) in order to see if I can find the parm offline..

also - in case of PCM3.1 the logbook function was somewhat hidden in the PCM menus. It needed also be set to „active“ in PCM menu, else it did not pop up.

@rainer I don't think logbook is available, at least on my MY17 PCM4.

After applying the new FEC file with the 00060600 code, AA still worked (so my FEC file is being read) and there were no rejections listed, but I was unable to find anything through the menus for logbook.

Last edited by rainer; 01-02-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:23 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Yes, this is possible, and the firmware files are available on this thread. See post 205.
Thank you asellus! So is this just a matter of putting the firmware files on a SD card and booting the PCM with the SD card inserted?
Old 01-02-2021, 06:31 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I recall there was a coding option parameter w/ Piwis. I guess it also needs to be activated w/ Piwis.

some while ago I put this to active w/ Piwis while playing around... of course nothing happened in this case as I did not change anything in FEC ;-)

same thing happened when the dealer activated my CarPlay - it did not work at first though it was installed. They had to check some entry to active...

I sold my Macan recently and am in the market for a new one, thus cannot test myself currently...
what I can do tomorrow is browse thru my FAP (vehicle analysis protocol) in order to see if I can find the parm offline..

also - in case of PCM3.1 the logbook function was somewhat hidden in the PCM menus. It needed also be set to „active“ in PCM menu, else it did not pop up.
Aha, crap, forgot about coding. I'll mess around with my coder and see what I can't come up with later.

Originally Posted by rookie1
Thank you asellus! So is this just a matter of putting the firmware files on a SD card and booting the PCM with the SD card inserted?
Yep. From the home screen, click 'set' on the bottom right, then the.. third menu option, I believe, then the first menu option to "load firmware" or "load update" or some such. Then you can choose SD card 1, 2, USB, or one other option I can't remember off hand.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:30 AM
rainer
Instructor

@asellus - 2 quick questions for x-check:

1. did you test a FW upgrade yourself? Porsche states it requires a FW upgrade of the dash cluster plus some coding (at least in case of ConnectPlus)
2. did anyone look into Wireless CarPlay , can this be activated (PCM4 with WiFi a prerequisite, thus ConnectPlus I assume)?

wireless would be a big gain..

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?