Sponsored by:

I Don't Know Jack! Floor Jacks..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:22 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Are the Harbor Freight ones better built than back in the mid-2000s? Mine developed a leak after about three years of use and would very slowly drop. Got one from Costco (thanks AOW162435!) and have never had an issue. Still have the HF for the few times when I need to jack up both sides of the car.
I avoided HF based on reviews. Seems like you can get one that will work well for a long time, or one that will always give trouble. HF is a good drive for me, so if I had to return one it would be a pain. That's when I decided to go the JEGS route.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

I bought 2 of these, have never had a problem with them and they work great

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
Old 02-02-2018, 02:17 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not to thread jack, but from my research, everyone loves Jackstands, but they've been out of stock forever. I emailed them to be put on a waiting list about a month ago, and have gotten no response. Does anyone have any insight?
The following users liked this post:
lyonghi (02-15-2021)
Old 02-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Being in Texas I don't know what a quality puck looks/feels like compared too a cheap one. Maybe it was a spectacularly cheap one. It felt solid until the weight of the car hunkered down on it a couple times. So maybe a nice solid puck would be fine. I'm just going to stick with locking ones engineered for the purpose from now on after that.
Actual hockey pucks are solid rubber. You can't squish them. That thing you posted seems like it was made of some sort of dense foam or something.

Some day I'll get myself a better jack and some Jackpoint stands. Meanwhile, I'll just be careful I guess. I've already been pretty spendy in anticipation of the new car so I'll have to make do with some of the serviceable stuff I've already got.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I also love Jackpoint stands. Since the OP asked about jacks, I think these Danish ones are considered the best (if price not a barrier):

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...yd1-detail.htm
Old 02-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Make sure you also use a high quality jack pad with a center positioning bolt. I'm using Rennline. The days of the old used hockey puck are over.
Yep. I have the Reverse Logic pad.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Yep. I have the Reverse Logic pad.
Rennlister also makes great jack pads from Delrin like the tool he makes for centerlock wheels:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ment-tool.html

The following users liked this post:
PhilT3 (PT3) (05-11-2021)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:28 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
If it's only for occasional use, i.e. changing out summer/winter tires, I'd recommend Harbor Freight 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack for ~ $60.
ditto. I have this one and its worked for the dozen or so times I've used it over 5 years.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
Old 02-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Rennlister also makes great jack pads from Delrin like the tool he makes for centerlock wheels:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ment-tool.html

To clarify, is the hockey puck debate just to provide a smooth surface for the 991 as most jack stands have "ridges", "troughs' or "valleys" ?
I bought the Esco jack stands (below) because of the flat surface that I thought was essential for the 991.

Adding a secondary disk, even with a center pin,to the above jack stand seems like it would reduce the jacking stability and increase the potential for slippage if the car is bumped.
I ask because I have gone to great lengths to protect myself from this kind of accident. Almost every mechanic I know has a horror story.
The Esco jack stands are well built and over engineered. The pad is huge, the stem is solid (not hollow like some) and the footprint is larger than most.

So, in this case with this Esco jack stand, would it be advisable to use additional jacking disks with the center pins that are on the market for 991 mounting points? Thank you in advance.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:07 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jungkim1234
Not to thread jack, but from my research, everyone loves Jackstands, but they've been out of stock forever. I emailed them to be put on a waiting list about a month ago, and have gotten no response. Does anyone have any insight?
Are you referring to the Jackpoint stands? I got on their list last November and emailed them a couple of times after that to see how long it would take. I finally got an email from them early this week saying next week is the most likely time they'll be ready for me. They're always out of stock so it appears to me they produce them in batches and wait until they have enough orders to justify production.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:25 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

This just arrived...bought 2 Esco stands from Pelican...nice set up. Fair prices.

$99 Costco $5 shipping...plus it’s Costco backed! Any problems, bring it back!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Me too!
$139 Canadian but free shipping from Costco Canada. You got the better deal. I also had to pay an additional 15% in tax
Old 02-03-2018, 12:19 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
To clarify, is the hockey puck debate just to provide a smooth surface for the 991 as most jack stands have "ridges", "troughs' or "valleys" ?
I bought the Esco jack stands (below) because of the flat surface that I thought was essential for the 991.

Adding a secondary disk, even with a center pin,to the above jack stand seems like it would reduce the jacking stability and increase the potential for slippage if the car is bumped.
I ask because I have gone to great lengths to protect myself from this kind of accident. Almost every mechanic I know has a horror story.
The Esco jack stands are well built and over engineered. The pad is huge, the stem is solid (not hollow like some) and the footprint is larger than most.

So, in this case with this Esco jack stand, would it be advisable to use additional jacking disks with the center pins that are on the market for 991 mounting points? Thank you in advance.
I have the ESCO jack stands and they are very stable and don't dent my Race Deck flooring. I have not used them on my 991 yet and I'm looking for a guide/video on how to jack up my car so I can pull all four wheels off at once. If you use the jacking points you can't use that spot to place a jack stand. I'm confused!
Old 02-03-2018, 12:24 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Or better... these one-piece ones for less $. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WSZH9G...pa_dk_detail_5
I highly recommend spending the extra money and get the two piece Race Ramps. The longer ramps are harder to store, you can stack the two piece easier, but more importantly it's easier to get under your car using the two piece so you can remove the ramp part for easier access to under your car.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:52 AM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
I have the ESCO jack stands and they are very stable and don't dent my Race Deck flooring. I have not used them on my 991 yet and I'm looking for a guide/video on how to jack up my car so I can pull all four wheels off at once. If you use the jacking points you can't use that spot to place a jack stand. I'm confused!
How to jack up a 991:
http://plenums.blogspot.ca/2015/01/g...p-on-jack.html

Quick Reply: I Don't Know Jack! Floor Jacks..