Sponsored by:

I Don't Know Jack! Floor Jacks..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:55 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by whacky
Wanted to get my 991.2 up on all four jack points this weekend.
Have 4 ESCO jack stands, 2 car jacks. Nothing fancy.

I need to know just how safe or detrimental is it to jack the car up from the rear crossmember, forward of the oil pain?
I certainly do not want to damange, or bend any crossmembers, beams, suspension components..

Anyone have personal expereince with this method who can confirm this is a safe place to lift rear?
That should work fine, especially if you work near the vertical supports, halfway towards one side or the other.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:09 PM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Plenum has a excellent blog, this one is on jack points

http://plenums.blogspot.com/search?u...&by-date=false

I guess this method just makes me a little nervous about the structural integrity of the cross member involved. Obviously I've never actually jacked up my 991.2 just yet.

What is that crossmember made of? No risk bending, or denting it even if jacked in in the middle like that blog recommends?
Old 04-28-2018, 02:03 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess this method just makes me a little nervous about the structural integrity of the cross member involved. Obviously I've never actually jacked up my 991.2 just yet.

What is that crossmember made of? No risk bending, or denting it even if jacked in in the middle like that blog recommends?
I have used it countless times ... absolutely no issues. Just make sure your puck or pad does not go too far forward of it, otherwise you'll be on the rear underbody panel

I have this jack and am able to reach the rear cross member from the rear directly, i.e. without using race ramps and putting blocks under the wheells beforehand. Just slide it under, lift the rear, then put jackstands under the rear jackpoints.

Sunex 6602LP 2 Ton, Low Rider Service Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1ZCN0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Hha5AbND1Y2E3 Sunex 6602LP 2 Ton, Low Rider Service Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1ZCN0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Hha5AbND1Y2E3
Old 04-28-2018, 10:51 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Wanted to get my 991.2 up on all four jack points this weekend.
Have 4 ESCO jack stands, 2 car jacks. Nothing fancy.

I need to know just how safe or detrimental is it to jack the car up from the rear crossmember, forward of the oil pain?
I certainly do not want to damange, or bend any crossmembers, beams, suspension components..

Anyone have personal expereince with this method who can confirm this is a safe place to lift rear?
I usually jack from the rear side jacking point and use the crossmember to place my rear jack stand and at the same time place the front jack stand under the front jacking point. This can be all done just by jacking from the rear. Then repeat on the other side.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:58 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Will race ramps work easier than jack stands? Not sure what the front clearance is would not want to damage it.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Take the plunge:

The following users liked this post:
Wimankid (03-21-2021)
Old 05-13-2018, 04:50 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
I usually jack from the rear side jacking point and use the crossmember to place my rear jack stand and at the same time place the front jack stand under the front jacking point. This can be all done just by jacking from the rear. Then repeat on the other side.
Be careful jacking up the rear on that subframe. I don't know about 997.1, but my 997.2 has an aluminum subframe with all the suspense components hooked up to it. If you solely use the subframe to jack up the rear, consider all weight of the rear, including suspension, engine, partial transmission weight. Say your car is 3200 lbs, that rear subframe has to be able to handle at least 2500 lbs if not more to be able to elevate the rear...SAFELY. I use the rear jack point to elevate the car so that the jack stand can get under the front jack point, then use another jack on the subframe to lighten the load, then with the jack on the rear jack point, then in combination with the jack on the subframe, they share the load to get it high enough for the rear jack stand. Yes, you need 2 jacks. I find you really need 2 jacks to work on anything under the car.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:29 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I also love Jackpoint stands. Since the OP asked about jacks, I think these Danish ones are considered the best (if price not a barrier):

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...yd1-detail.htm
Until I make up my mind (if ever) about a lift, I splurged on an AC floor jack. VERY nice, 4400 lb capacity, very low starting height (at least an inch of clearance with my Porsche jack pad), smooth lifting and lowering, and much lighter than my classic Craftsman floor jack.

Catharpin (03-21-2021)
Old 05-13-2018, 11:52 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Until I make up my mind (if ever) about a lift, I splurged on an AC floor jack. VERY nice, 4400 lb capacity, very low starting height (at least an inch of clearance with my Porsche jack pad), smooth lifting and lowering, and much lighter than my classic Craftsman floor jack.
+1 on the AC jack. I have one, too. They are incredibly nice.
Catharpin (03-21-2021)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:03 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
+1
Old 05-14-2018, 06:48 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by henryting
Be careful jacking up the rear on that subframe. I don't know about 997.1, but my 997.2 has an aluminum subframe with all the suspense components hooked up to it. If you solely use the subframe to jack up the rear, consider all weight of the rear, including suspension, engine, partial transmission weight. Say your car is 3200 lbs, that rear subframe has to be able to handle at least 2500 lbs if not more to be able to elevate the rear...SAFELY. I use the rear jack point to elevate the car so that the jack stand can get under the front jack point, then use another jack on the subframe to lighten the load, then with the jack on the rear jack point, then in combination with the jack on the subframe, they share the load to get it high enough for the rear jack stand. Yes, you need 2 jacks. I find you really need 2 jacks to work on anything under the car.
I'm only jacking from the rear jack point, not the crossmember of the subframe.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:44 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

The AC unit work with the jackpoint stands? Likely not based on the width,
Old 03-20-2021, 08:22 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
If it's only for occasional use, i.e. changing out summer/winter tires, I'd recommend Harbor Freight 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack for ~ $60.
Seriously?
Old 03-20-2021, 08:47 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Seriously?
Yup. Works great! What's the problem??
Old 03-21-2021, 01:00 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 300 Posts

Only way is AC, Yes it is a bit more up front, but so worth it in the long run.
I have had mine for 20 years and it is still going like a champ. I would have worn out multiple of the "racing aluminum" jacks by now.
Think about what a failure could cost. Chinese jacks and sheet metal "jack stands" are not worth the risk IMO.

Quick Reply: I Don't Know Jack! Floor Jacks..