Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 09:05 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenith
The ebrake was off, no luck. the camera is currently powered on via the reverse lights from the trunk. The red wire "rear-camera 12v" does not send 12v to the camera, I believe this is to trigger the smart box that the vehicle is in reverse, otherwise how would the smart box know? I've tried dip switch 8 in both on and off, without luck.

I will try the PCM settings to see if that helps.
You got it wrong. The wire is for camera power. The smart box will know when the car is in reverse via canbus.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:15 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

The ebrake was off, no luck. the camera is currently powered on via the reverse lights from the trunk. The red wire "rear-camera 12v" does not send 12v to the camera, I believe this is to trigger the smart box that the vehicle is in reverse, otherwise how would the smart box know? I've tried dip switch 8 in both on and off, without luck.

I will try the PCM settings to see if that helps.
Based on the diagram you provided the red wire is intended to power your backup camera; trigger wires usually are color coded in green or blue. I did not see a response on the yellow RCA (Video) connector, so I assume you ran the composite wire to the back of the vehicle, or your car already has a non-OEM backup camera previously installed?
Old 07-26-2019, 09:37 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RYE
You got it wrong. The wire is for camera power. The smart box will know when the car is in reverse via canbus.
I tested this wire when the car is in reverse, it did not provide 12v.

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Based on the diagram you provided the red wire is intended to power your backup camera; trigger wires usually are color coded in green or blue. I did not see a response on the yellow RCA (Video) connector, so I assume you ran the composite wire to the back of the vehicle, or your car already has a non-OEM backup camera previously installed?
I did run the yellow rca directly to the rear camera input. No luck. The screen also does not change when the car is in reverse, I would have assumed the screen would go blank if it senses the car is in reverse.

I did install the max speed reverse camera prior to this and all was well. It was removed prior to installing the CarPlay unit.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:54 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

I tested this wire when the car is in reverse, it did not provide 12v.

I did run the yellow rca directly to the rear camera input. No luck. The screen also does not change when the car is in reverse, I would have assumed the screen would go blank if it senses the car is in reverse.

I did install the max speed reverse camera prior to this and all was well. It was removed prior to installing the CarPlay unit.
The red wire from the interface box needs to be connected to the backup camera. Disconnect the wire from the backup wires at the back of your vehicle and follow the diagram provided by the CarPlay kit. This will require a hardwire from the PCM to the back of the vehicle where the camera is located.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
The red wire from the interface box needs to be connected to the backup camera. Disconnect the wire from the backup wires at the back of your vehicle and follow the diagram provided by the CarPlay kit. This will require a hardwire from the PCM to the back of the vehicle where the camera is located.
I never stated my vehicle, which may be of some help.
2016 981 GT4 manual

the car did not have a factory back up camera, I installed the maxspeed backup cam and removed it to prior to putting the Joyeauto kit in.

Two things:
1). I can’t get into pcm setup mode. Holding the cd eject button for 7 seconds or longer did nothing.

2). The back up camera is wired exactly like the diagram shows, dip switch 8 is off, rrear.12v red wire to back up camera power wire, chassis grounded the camera, then the yellow rca to camera rca.
A). All 4 loose wires from the smart box does not have 12v at anytime (park brake off, tranny in reverse, etc.). The 4 loose wires are labeled “key in”, “acc”, “rear c” and rrear.12v”
B). The screen does not deviate from the normal view when the car is put into reverse, which indicates the smart box doesn’t not know that the car is in reverse.

Ive been in contact with Joyeauto, they asked about what gearbox I have, manual. They said “Then need connect ACC to reverse light”, which did nothing. Perhaps the trick is to access the pcm setup, hope someone can help with accessing that.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

For what it's worth I'm having the same problem with no luck. If I set dip switch 6 to on and give reverse c 12v, then the screen flips to black when in reverse. I've confirmed the camera works by plugging into my garage TV but nothing on the PCM. Manual gearbox here, haven't messed with PCM setup mode
Old 08-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bry5on
For what it's worth I'm having the same problem with no luck. If I set dip switch 6 to on and give reverse c 12v, then the screen flips to black when in reverse. I've confirmed the camera works by plugging into my garage TV but nothing on the PCM. Manual gearbox here, haven't messed with PCM setup mode
The fact that the screen is turning black is a good sign. I would do the following:
-turn dip switch 8 on and off to see if there is any difference
-make sure the parking brake is off (disengaged)
-
Old 08-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

The fact that the screen is turning black is a good sign. I would do the following:
-turn dip switch 8 on and off to see if there is any difference
-make sure the parking brake is off (disengaged)
-
I've tried each combination of the above a few times after giving enough delay for the joyeauto to shut off, might try hitting the reset button on the unit next
Old 08-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bry5on
I've tried each combination of the above a few times after giving enough delay for the joyeauto to shut off, might try hitting the reset button on the unit next
Joye Auto also recommended this:

”After you do it, the dip swicth 4 need turn ON, otherwise can't get 12v power”

I haven't been able to try this yet, as I’m out of town until 8/7.

another suggestion on their site was to unplug the white connector on the smart box, flip all the dip to
switches to off, then set them back to where you need them and plug the unit back in.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:08 PM
bdschet
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my joyeauto unit installed last night but running into problems with audio volume. When I’m in CarPlay mode all sources from the phone like Spotify are half the volume (if not quieter) than if I play the same music via Bluetooth straight to the standard PCM interface. Even at max volume it isn’t loud enough playing when driving in the car. And then of course you ever accidentally switch to the pcm standard mode it is so loud it nearly blows the speakers and your eardrums. Anybody have that problem?
Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bdschet
Finally got my joyeauto unit installed last night but running into problems with audio volume. When I’m in CarPlay mode all sources from the phone like Spotify are half the volume (if not quieter) than if I play the same music via Bluetooth straight to the standard PCM interface. Even at max volume it isn’t loud enough playing when driving in the car. And then of course you ever accidentally switch to the pcm standard mode it is so loud it nearly blows the speakers and your eardrums. Anybody have that problem?
Change the volume for the AUX input
Old 08-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Success! I got a hold of a competent tech support agent at Joye Auto and they have a manual showing how to connect manual tranny cars versus automatics. Hope this helps others as well, would have been nice to have the sheet below indicating the differences in wiring and settings from the get go.

The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (08-24-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Success! I got a hold of a competent tech support agent at Joye Auto and they have a manual showing how to connect manual tranny cars versus automatics. Hope this helps others as well, would have been nice to have the sheet below indicating the differences in wiring and settings from the get go.

In my opinion this is likely the main reason why NM Automotive is missed dearly. NM provided excellent customer support and documentation.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Worked for mine too! Dip switch 4 on and the rest off
The following users liked this post:
Kenith (08-09-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:56 AM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Just ordered mine and need to add a rear camera. Recommendations? Also anyone near the Seattle area with knowledge or willing to lend a hand? Of course food and beverages provided!!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1