Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024 | 12:29 PM
ratt359
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy2111
Does this look like the app in case it is worth trying..

CarLink - Apps on Google Play
Def not that one (looks very dodgy!). There's my icon in the bottom left

Old 04-08-2024 | 12:44 PM
ratt359
Instructor

It looks like the one on this page. Not sure it's available on Google Play.

190000000_com.syu.carlink.apk (Sept 2023)

Translated website

Old 04-08-2024 | 12:48 PM
ratt359
Instructor

Originally Posted by ratt359
It looks like the one on this page. Not sure it's available on Google Play.

190000000_com.syu.carlink.apk (Sept 2023)

Translated website
The same APK binary is referenced on other sites. I would proceed with caution, however!
Old 04-08-2024 | 12:53 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

good spot and proceed with caution indeed. That said who knows what dodgy software these Chinese HUs come pre-loaded with already!
Old 04-08-2024 | 01:14 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

@RwdConnor I may have some good news for you. I managed to get wired CarPlay working on my CHSTEK. Considering how similar these units are, I'm hoping this works for you.

Firstly, wired CarPlay only works from the glovebox USB, not the "extra" USB (at least on mine). Secondly, you must disable WiFi and Bluetooth on your phone temporarily. This prevents the wireless CarPlay auto-connecting (Bluetooth seems to be used for the initial connection).

After doing that, plug in to your glovebox USB. Fingers crossed for you!
Are you sure that Z-Link didn't re-enable BT/wifi on the phone and just run CP wirelessly (but plugged in)? I have no idea because I don't have any Apple stuff, but Z-Link is a cunning beast, and if you have it ticked/enabled in settings it tries to take over. Or, of course, you could well be right since I assume you tried plugging in to the other 2 USBs and CP didn't then load. Wired AA has to be plugged into the OEM USB (no idea if that is true for CP, of if CP does truly only support wireless, which is what all the seller websites seem to claim).
Old 04-08-2024 | 01:16 PM
ratt359
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Are you sure that Z-Link didn't re-enable BT/wifi on the phone and just run CP wirelessly (but plugged in)? I have no idea because I don't have any Apple stuff, but Z-Link is a cunning beast, and if you have it ticked/enabled in settings it tries to take over. Or, of course, you could well be right since I assume you tried plugging in to the other 2 USBs and CP didn't then load. Wired AA has to be plugged into the OEM USB (no idea if that is true for CP, of if CP does truly only support wireless, which is what all the seller websites seem to claim).
Def not. On my iPhone, I had BT disabled and WiFi was connected to my home network (which you can't do whilst on CarPlay). It is the disablement of BT that prevents the wireless CarPlay from auto-connecting.
Old 04-08-2024 | 01:16 PM
ratt359
Instructor

Def not. On my iPhone, I had BT disabled and WiFi was connected to my home network (which you can't do whilst on CarPlay). It is the disablement of BT that prevents the wireless CarPlay from auto-connecting.
Also, when I pulled the cable, CarPlay stopped immediately.
Old 04-08-2024 | 01:19 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Also, when I pulled the cable, CarPlay stopped immediately.
Fair enough. That is great news then because as far as I can tell, nobody has managed a wired connection with CP. I always thought it should be possible and never really understood why it didn't work. But I know that Apple like to keep things buttoned down and assumed it was something to do with that. A good find!
Old 04-08-2024 | 01:46 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I think that @RwdConnor might have to join those of us in the 'experimental club' and install the software and see what happens...!

It would be awesome if we can solve this issue for everyone (even though I'm not an iPhone user myself, I love seeing things fixed!)

Worst case is a factory reset to get back to a clean installation - but of course it's not my call and I totally understand if people dont like installing apps like this

Last edited by andy2111; 04-08-2024 at 01:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by andy2111:
RwdConnor (04-08-2024), ZedZed (04-09-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 01:55 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

I think that @RwdConnor might have to join those of us in the experimental club and install the software and see what happens...!

It would be awesome if we can solve this issue for everyone (even though I'm not an iPhone user myself, I love seeing thisng fixed!)

Worst case is a factory reset to get back to a clean installation - but of course it's not my call and I totally understand if people dont like installing apps like this
Honestly, im down to try anything. I love tinkering with things so Its all good.

From my understanding, Zlink is built into the OS on the Erisin. I dont see why it wouldnt be possible to enable wired connections somewhere in the plist files deep within the unit. Its just a matter of finding the file. (or somewhere in the factory settings)
I have tried switching the CarPlay ports from 1, current, to all the other ones 0-5, without luck, i dont think port actually means Usb ports. There are settings in there i have yet to try, but i have logged probably 3 hours of messing around with the unit so far...

I think it could be possible to install a new APK like Car Link 2.0, just a matter of finding it. However, the connection between the iPhone and the Unit might be a problem, just because iPhone is such a locked down OS.. (I miss the days of jailbreaking...)
Old 04-08-2024 | 02:21 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

There's a download link here in post #47 (and post #294 seems to be referencing the same build number as the latest, but from a folder with a later date)
Question - Any Car Link Update? | Page 3 | XDA Forums

Let us know how you get on!
Old 04-08-2024 | 02:32 PM
ratt359
Instructor

There's a download link here in post #47 (and post #294 seems to be referencing the same build number as the latest, but from a folder with a later date)
Question - Any Car Link Update? | Page 3 | XDA Forums

Let us know how you get on!
Yes - I downloaded the APK from there (30,401,387 bytes) and opened it with 7zip to check the manifest file and have a poke around. At first glance it looks legit

Good luck @RwdConnor !
Old 04-09-2024 | 08:37 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Honestly, im down to try anything. I love tinkering with things so Its all good.

From my understanding, Zlink is built into the OS on the Erisin. I dont see why it wouldnt be possible to enable wired connections somewhere in the plist files deep within the unit. Its just a matter of finding the file. (or somewhere in the factory settings)
I have tried switching the CarPlay ports from 1, current, to all the other ones 0-5, without luck, i dont think port actually means Usb ports. There are settings in there i have yet to try, but i have logged probably 3 hours of messing around with the unit so far...

I think it could be possible to install a new APK like Car Link 2.0, just a matter of finding it. However, the connection between the iPhone and the Unit might be a problem, just because iPhone is such a locked down OS.. (I miss the days of jailbreaking...)
Great stuff! I am wondering that with your advanced understanding of jiggery-pokery if you could throw any light on a possible solution to the terrible phone app built into the Erisin unit? The phone app is built in and the unit doesn't allow any phone app from the Play Store to work. Initially, I thought it would be like an Android phone, where we can install any phone app we like, but it isn't the case. So we are stuck with a pretty poor phone app experience. The built-in app is functional enough, and allows for the phone's contacts to be downloaded to the HU, but it is pretty clunky. Those using CP or AA won't have this experience as their phone apps are great, but those using the HU in 'native' form will know what I mean.

This has arisen because my wife has, surprisingly IMO, decided that she prefers running the unit 'natively' and has turned her back on Android Auto. She loves everything - the satnav experience, her new DAB radio module (working perfectly, better than OEM), the full YT Music experience and so on. The only fly in the ointment is the phone app. It isn't the end of the world as she rarely uses the phone while driving and she is OK with it as it is, so it is me who is pushing for a better phone app, not her. These are, of course, real first world problems!
Old 04-09-2024 | 11:41 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Great stuff! I am wondering that with your advanced understanding of jiggery-pokery if you could throw any light on a possible solution to the terrible phone app built into the Erisin unit? The phone app is built in and the unit doesn't allow any phone app from the Play Store to work. Initially, I thought it would be like an Android phone, where we can install any phone app we like, but it isn't the case. So we are stuck with a pretty poor phone app experience. The built-in app is functional enough, and allows for the phone's contacts to be downloaded to the HU, but it is pretty clunky. Those using CP or AA won't have this experience as their phone apps are great, but those using the HU in 'native' form will know what I mean.

This has arisen because my wife has, surprisingly IMO, decided that she prefers running the unit 'natively' and has turned her back on Android Auto. She loves everything - the satnav experience, her new DAB radio module (working perfectly, better than OEM), the full YT Music experience and so on. The only fly in the ointment is the phone app. It isn't the end of the world as she rarely uses the phone while driving and she is OK with it as it is, so it is me who is pushing for a better phone app, not her. These are, of course, real first world problems!
So with iPhone, jailbreaking was the way to edit literally anything on the phone. With Android, i believe its called "Rooting". The other problem is your are now fighting the OS of the unit. Im not very familiar with rooting android devices so id have to look into that.
Old 04-09-2024 | 11:46 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I think the challenge is as already mentioned in this thread somewhere, the Chinese head units are basically tablets with a phone module bolted on and they use some kludgy way to get their bespoke (and terrible) dialler working. This is why you can't install a new dialler app like you can with any regular Android phone

There are a few forum posts going back a number of years on the topic and I dont think there's an easy solution. I'd love to be proven wrong as I also use the HU in native mode and would like to use the Google dialler app
The following users liked this post:
RwdConnor (04-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1