Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 04:50 AM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SLATETT
Is there a DIY on removing 991.1 glovebox?
I made a pictorial guide on my old thread here when I wrapped my interior with vinyl: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1087...mod-diary.html

Just scroll down.

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Both systems offer a decent product. Both also offer the wireless CarPlay feature as well. The Joyeauto system offers a lower priced unit that comes with a larger integration box. I believe the backup camera is optional.
NMautomotive offers superb customer service with an optional backup camera kit which included the composite wire (wiring harness), and with a smaller integration box. You will need to specify the type of camera of your choice based on what they offer. You will need to inquire if you would like the camera mounted on the bumper, or license plate light (usually mounts on driver side). If you need more information I recommend you reach out to Nick at NMautomotive via phone or email. Both kits require breaking the warranty seal on the PCM to add a circuit board.
If I were doing this over again with an installer, I'd probably go with NMautomative. I was very dismissive of added-value of the support. After all, I DIYed full navi retrofits/swaps for a few of my BMWs back in the day which not only involved the same amount of installation and wiring, but I also had to learn how to code my car with my computer to make everything fully functional.

But the average installer does not have our DIY spirit. And probably won't have the patience to deal with the WeChat/WhatsApp Chinglish speaking tech support or read the forum for any troubleshooting. So someone who has the expertise, speaks fluent English, and can hand hold an installer through the process is immensely valuable. My installer almost gave up a couple times. Took a lot of firm encouragement.

Lastly, just a heads up, I initially purchased this back-up camera for my 991, but the JoyeAuto guys said it wouldn't fit my car when I sent them pics of my 991 rear. It did say "911" in the Title so who knows. So they cancelled that part of the order. Only then did I consider the Natika.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...57114c4d9ZPpvc
The following users liked this post:
texasspartan (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 09:53 AM
texasspartan
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AoshichanX
I made a pictorial guide on my old thread here when I wrapped my interior with vinyl: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1087...mod-diary.html

Just scroll down.

If I were doing this over again with an installer, I'd probably go with NMautomative. I was very dismissive of added-value of the support. After all, I DIYed full navi retrofits/swaps for a few of my BMWs back in the day which not only involved the same amount of installation and wiring, but I also had to learn how to code my car with my computer to make everything fully functional.

But the average installer does not have our DIY spirit. And probably won't have the patience to deal with the WeChat/WhatsApp Chinglish speaking tech support or read the forum for any troubleshooting. So someone who has the expertise, speaks fluent English, and can hand hold an installer through the process is immensely valuable. My installer almost gave up a couple times. Took a lot of firm encouragement.

Lastly, just a heads up, I initially purchased this back-up camera for my 991, but the JoyeAuto guys said it wouldn't fit my car when I sent them pics of my 991 rear. It did say "911" in the Title so who knows. So they cancelled that part of the order. Only then did I consider the Natika.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...57114c4d9ZPpvc
Thanks guys for the info. I am leaning towards NMAutomotive as I like the smaller control box and the support aspect. I have reached out to Nick about shipping to the US as I wasn't sure of that option. I too have done retrofits to my BMW's, adding OEM backup cameras and coding when it wasn't offered as an option. After watching all of the DIY videos I can find, I'm going to attempt this myself as it looks to be within my scope, plus I can really take my time as my 981 is not my daily. I'm excited to have carplay as my wife has it in her XTS and I've been searching all over the interwebs for a solution to put it in my Holden built SS but seems there's no option there. Thanks again!
unluckydrawer (01-21-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 01:12 AM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

I just installed my Carplay unit from Joyeauto. It works great! Love it! The PCM 3.1 on my 2014 GT3 is slower than the PCM 4 on my 718 CaymanS but both function the same. Took me a good part of the day.

Some notes in addition to the wealth of knowledge on this thread:
1) For the Accessory Power I used fuse position D2 on the driver's side fuse box. This is for the Homelink garage opener. It properly turns on and off the Carplay unit. It's a little weird because the Homelink is a 5amp fuse and the Carplay unit is a 10amp fuse. I guess the Homelink fuse will always go before the Carplay fuse. I use this fuse splitter from Amazon. I didn't connect anything to the red wire on the fuse splitter. (
https://www.amazon.com/Pixnor-Circuit-Piggy-Standard-Holder/dp/B011I9QZX2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2FQL7G3J22H7I&keywords=fuse+splitter&qid=1579755439&sprefix=fuse+spl%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-5 https://www.amazon.com/Pixnor-Circuit-Piggy-Standard-Holder/dp/B011I9QZX2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2FQL7G3J22H7I&keywords=fuse+splitter&qid=1579755439&sprefix=fuse+spl%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-5
).

2) I have the sirius module so the new IC board won't fit over the Sirius module. I think some instructions say to remove the Sirius module. I wanted to retain it. Joyeauto ships the unit with 2 gold risers for the new IC board. But even with the 2 risers attached to each other it was still too short to clear the Sirius module. I ended up tightening the bottom riser to the main board then put the top riser on but did not screw it all the way down. It's a little loose by itself but once you screw all 3 of the screws down to the risers it doesn't move and clears the Sirius module. I also removed the yellow connector that attaches to the cable to connect to the Sirius module to get more space.

Yellow Sirius connector

Sirius connector removed to get more space

3) Running the reverse camera to the back was a pain! I have roll bars in the back so even more painful. I followed this thread (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4202837). Excellent! Have to run the cable to the passenger side. The driver side has some fluid reservoir (coolant I think) so you can't access the same plug on the driver side. I spliced into the tail light harness via Black/blue wire (power) and brown wire(ground).

Question for you all:
Has anyone installed a front camera? The Joyeauto Carplay unit has a yellow RCA connector for a front camera but there's no power cable for the front camera like with the reverse camera. What do you connect the red power cable? What wire harness do you tap into the front to turn the front camera on? With the rear, you tap into the reverse light. What to do for the front camera?

Thanks in advance for any help with the front camera.
Paul
Old 01-26-2020, 01:15 AM
CraigSS
6th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NMA Carplay Smart Module Placement

Originally Posted by Hedge Hog
i installed mine under the AC controls but it was very tight and in hindsight would not do this again. From looking at previous installs on here, the early modules had the plug outlets on the short side. The Wireless version I have has the connectors on the long side which makes it even tighter and prevents it being located as far back as I would have liked. If I was starting over I would locate at back/below glove box
Actually, I just installed my NMA unit today in my 2013 911 cabriolet and it worked just fine under the AC controls. The key was to remove both the AC controls and the rest of the center switch console. (Both come out pretty easily.) There are 4 plastic nubs or pins that come down into the space and don’t seem serve any purpose. I used a hacksaw blade and cut off the two pins on the right hand side. I then oriented the smart module upside down at an angle (left-side was low, right-side was high). This lets the long antenna (?) connectors fit under the aluminum frame on the left side.

Last edited by CraigSS; 01-26-2020 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:23 AM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Adding a counterpoint, I went with the Naviplus kit from Australia, because I wanted Android Auto and Carplay. Install went well, it's two boxes instead of one but the PCB inside the PCM is smaller than the other kits I've seen. I've had it for a few months and it works flawlessly, and includes an adapter so you can reuse the OEM USB port in the glovebox. The only way this doesn't look OEM is the jumper I have to leave in the Aux input to bridge the connection electrically. I also used a ribbon cable that was Mini HDMI to HDMI to get the connector outside the PCM head unit, so I wouldn't have to leave the Sirius connector dangling or cut a hole in my housing, and I had to adjust the contrast in my RGB settings to reduce contrast on the green channel as it was overdriving and causing weird static on solid green backgrounds. After adding a glass screen protector to eliminate the chance of wear from touching and dragging the soft resistive display, everything looks great.

Customer service was good and propt and one thing I noticed was that all the hardware was Korean and not Chinese. Make of that what you will. Ask me any questions if you're curious.

tjg81296 (04-02-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:06 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Nice! Congrats!
Old 01-27-2020, 12:38 AM
FDC
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default navtool.com

Has anyone tried installing navtool.com to get apple carplay and mirror an iPhone?
subaru335i (05-16-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 10:01 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Update:
1) Got the front camera working. Bought another Natika camera that I used for the rear camera. Connected the red power cable from the yellow RCA connector to the same Rear 12v red wire as for the rear camera 12v. Did not need to connect the other red and black trigger cables from the camera. Also it does not say this in any of the instructions from Joyeauto but their tech support told me. Have to set the DIP switch 3 to ON.

2) I mounted the Joyeauto unit in the driver side foot well. Zip tied it to the cables in the foot well by attaching these 3M cable tie mounts on to the Joyeauto box. This way I could make changes to the DIP switches, adding the camera, etc without having to take out the whole dash and radio unit. Also there's barely enough room behind the radio unit the the cables let alone the Joyeauto box as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NYNVHZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NYNVHZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I've got everything working - Front and Rear camera and Apple Carplay. Also got to preserve my SiriusXM satellite radio. Everything works as I'd hope (and more). Very happy with the Joyeauto unit. Their tech support has been very helpful. Could not do it without them. Not sure if the Alibaba units are the same but cheaper but I'd pay a little extra for the support. Thumbs up for the Joyeauto Carplay unit.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
Update:
1) Got the front camera working. Bought another Natika camera that I used for the rear camera. Connected the red power cable from the yellow RCA connector to the same Rear 12v red wire as for the rear camera 12v. Did not need to connect the other red and black trigger cables from the camera. Also it does not say this in any of the instructions from Joyeauto but their tech support told me. Have to set the DIP switch 3 to ON.

2) I mounted the Joyeauto unit in the driver side foot well. Zip tied it to the cables in the foot well by attaching these 3M cable tie mounts on to the Joyeauto box. This way I could make changes to the DIP switches, adding the camera, etc without having to take out the whole dash and radio unit. Also there's barely enough room behind the radio unit the the cables let alone the Joyeauto box as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I've got everything working - Front and Rear camera and Apple Carplay. Also got to preserve my SiriusXM satellite radio. Everything works as I'd hope (and more). Very happy with the Joyeauto unit. Their tech support has been very helpful. Could not do it without them. Not sure if the Alibaba units are the same but cheaper but I'd pay a little extra for the support. Thumbs up for the Joyeauto Carplay unit.
is your car manual or pdk? Looking to do the same, but joyeauto support is unsure.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:24 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Mine is a PDK. With the manual you'll have to splice into the reverse wire on the tail light. The best way to run the cable is down the passenger side. It's a pain - literally. I have a roll bar in the back of my GT3 so had to contort to get around. The driver's side has I think the coolant reservoir that would have to be removed in order to see the grommet from the inside of the car.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:37 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Mine is a PDK. With the manual you'll have to splice into the reverse wire on the tail light. The best way to run the cable is down the passenger side. It's a pain - literally. I have a roll bar in the back of my GT3 so had to contort to get around. The driver's side has I think the coolant reservoir that would have to be removed in order to see the grommet from the inside of the car.
wouldn't splicing the reverse wire cause both cameras to turn on and off at the same time? It would definitely shut the reverse camera when the transmission goes out of reverse
Old 01-27-2020, 11:51 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

No, it does not. It gets triggered by the CANBUS so for my PDK, I don't have to splice into the rear reverse taillight or even connect those two wires on the end that connects to the camera. When you put it in reverse the rear camera turns on and when you put it out of reverse it turns on the front camera for a few seconds automatically.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:36 AM
Kenith
Advanced

No, it does not. It gets triggered by the CANBUS so for my PDK, I don't have to splice into the rear reverse taillight or even connect those two wires on the end that connects to the camera. When you put it in reverse the rear camera turns on and when you put it out of reverse it turns on the front camera for a few seconds automatically.
I'll give it a try, I'll report back my findings. The issue still lies with the reverse light powering on the camera, once its removed from reverse the power will shut off.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:49 AM
Hedge Hog
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigSS
Actually, I just installed my NMA unit today in my 2013 911 cabriolet and it worked just fine under the AC controls. The key was to remove both the AC controls and the rest of the center switch console. (Both come out pretty easily.) There are 4 plastic nubs or pins that come down into the space and don’t seem serve any purpose. I used a hacksaw blade and cut off the two pins on the right hand side. I then oriented the smart module upside down at an angle (left-side was low, right-side was high). This lets the long antenna (?) connectors fit under the aluminum frame on the left side.

Thank you for this Craig. Ive finally got around to trouble shooting mine and have repositioned the CarPlay unit as you suggested. It is still quite tight to the connectors on the AC controls but is a much better solution.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Hedge Hog
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Consider looking at the ribbon connections as well. I realize that means taking the PCM apart again. Focus on the compression connections to ensure the ribbons are aligned properly and the connectors are depressed firmly. The harnesses that came with the kit are likely to get damaged or misaligned at the connector that mates with the interface box; this is likely probable when placing the interface box directly under the PCM due to the limited space. Best of luck.
Thanks for your help Sid. I finally got it sorted today.
The microphone was actually working but so quiet I didn’t realise until I tested the phone without the engine running. I went over all the wires and connectors in the loom and it now seems to be all working fine.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1