Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The Getawayer" Guido Komp review of the .2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017 | 10:30 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bemo
Reading through the last few replies, I think it is time to resurrect the old .1 vs .2 Fight Club Thread.

Do not tempt me as many of us caught flack for disrupting many threads, only to be ridiculed once again for starting a dedicated one, to argue all virtues and shortcomings of the 2 trims.

Back on topic, I agree with the review.
No I do not mean to insult .2 owners. Porsche Management, that is another story
.1s sound better, anyone arguing otherwise is deaf (not a bad thing in today's market of "dull, downsized, and depressing" offerings, to quote an article).
.2s are every bit the better performance option, blistering fast, efficient, and supremely capable.

We all picked the ones that stir our souls. Some are even more fortunate to own both, bless!

Argue less, drive more!
^^. This. We all pick our cars for what moves us. One is not better that the other, it boils down to what moves you. Sound is subjective and can be changed with mods anyway.
Old 12-20-2017 | 10:35 PM
Bemo
Drifting

^^^ agreed. Turbo owners can mostly fix the sound. I'm never going to get turbo performance figures with my NA engine, to try would be a fool's errand. Ok with both!
Old 12-20-2017 | 10:51 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Argue less, drive more!
Amen.
Old 12-20-2017 | 11:05 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Argue less, drive more!
Best post of the day!
Old 12-20-2017 | 11:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flickroll
^^. This. We all pick our cars for what moves us. One is not better that the other, it boils down to what moves you. Sound is subjective and can be changed with mods anyway.
I totally agree with this sentiment. Not everyone does, however.
Old 12-20-2017 | 11:57 PM
K-A
Drifting

Technically sound can be altered in volume (to a degree), but can’t really be “changed.” But I understand with and agree with the larger sentiments above.
Old 12-21-2017 | 12:09 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
Technically sound can be altered in volume (to a degree), but can’t really be “changed.” But I understand with and agree with the larger sentiments above.
You'd be surprised at how a different exhaust can affect not only the volume but the tone, pitch and character.
Old 12-21-2017 | 12:27 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

You'd be surprised at how a different exhaust can affect not only the volume but the tone, pitch and character.
That’s true, but I’ve found that cars I don’t like with even moderately high flow mufflers (e.g enough to where you can actually hear the engine harmonics), louder exhausts only serve to exacerbate the effect. A truly great sounding car sounds good plugged up as well. I’ve heard .2’s for example with complete cat bypasses, and imo they don’t even sound that loud (compare to any N/A flat six with cat bypass which sounds like a gruff race car), the dominant air whistle still grates me, and the turbos are still heavily homogenizing the tone (i.e, still doesn’t generate that “raw and raspy” scream). It’s just not a very musical engine imo (nor is the 3.8T in the Turbo and GT2 for that matter), and the personality and soul is simply too inherently filtered out.

But it’s still much better than a GTR. Which I’ve heard in every exhaust form, never sounding memorable or expressing pure auditory emotivity. Then I remember the first .1 Carrera I drove. Base, convertible, no PSE, not a performance spec in the least. I remember the sound it made being what stuck out to me the most.

Even the F10. My 535i was quiet, but the N55 sounded smooth and good on intake when I ran it up. Then, the S55 M3/M4 sounds horrid, and even more horrid the louder you make it (going back to my first point). Go figure.
Old 12-21-2017 | 06:59 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

I'm new to this forum but not new to Porsche . I haven't set up my account yet but read the thread and wanted to say a few things . First , I usually like Giudo's reviews .. not this time.

1) First I'll start with the 991.1 . Originally years ago Guido seemed hesitant with 991.1 . He expressed that he liked the GTS .1 because it was a manual in this latest review . Yet the manual in the new car is still a 7 speed , is greatly improved , yet he doesn't like it .

He endlessly compares the new car to the new Gt3 . Had he compared the 991.1 to the 997.2 Gt3 (which he loved) I wonder what bias might have come out . The small platform , dry sump, 6 speed manual , raw , edgy , 997.2 Gt3 was quite a car when the 991.1 made its grand entrance in 2012 .

In fact when the 991.1 came out many of the shoppers back then had history with or were cross shopping Bentley, Aston, Jaguar, and more luxurious cars . The truth is the 991.1 was a huge departure from the earlier traditional 911 cars.

It took time but 5 years later this has all been laid to rest !! The 991.1 was and still is a success despite all those who were hesitant (including me BTW).

One thing the 991.1 did have improved was the PDK . Guido really wrestles with this as he loves the manual. To this day he never accepted both as equally respected . He clearly favors one over the other .

The 991.1 was so good because it was a great daily driver and that's why the 997.2 Gt3 cant be viewed in the same practical manner .Neither can the new Gt3 !! The Gt3 is NOT a daily driving street car !!!

2) The .991.2 GTS is the ULTIMATE 911 daily driver !! In fact notice how Guido was driving it in the SNOW flurries !! Try that with a Gt3 . I know .. he would becase he is only driving it for a review . He is not driving it EVERY DAY.

I see so many complaints about the 'sound": . well i saw a lot of complaints with the 991.1 too 5 years ago. Complaints tend to get very quiet when a 991.2 GTS is in the rear view mirror and fully capable of slam dunking a 991.1 . That's the sound of "bye'bye" !! Oh but I forgot .. winning isnt why they time test these cars . Silly me.

The 991.1 does have some hesitation stumble in its history and Guido wants to focus on "laggy" bigger turbos. My guess is a 991.2 GTS will beat a 991.1 GTS to a parking spot at Vons from a stand still but real world street driving does not apply to the world of auto journalists .

The 991.2 is more capable in traffic, more technologically equipped. and basically beats the older car in every category except for those who cant just accept that it sounds different , drives differently , and is altogether a change.

3) Any person who spent 140K to buy a 991.2 GTS could go out today and buy a used 991.1 . I dont see any of them running to do it . The visa versa would mean one has to dig deep to sell or trade the older car for the new one . Understandably .. cost has to come into play .

4) The Turbo !! Lets talk about turbo for a moment . So much hate for the Turbo . Yet even Walter Rohl will point to a Turbo for highway passing .
And PDK !!! Why didnt Guido drive a PDK ? Because he hates it ? Or is it because the PDK truly makes the most efficient use of turbo shifting as it maintains boost on upshifts and smoothly transitions through each gear.

Lastly .. I happen to like both cars , I don;t play golf but know enough to see that a golf player brings different clubs . He doesn't use a putter to tee off . He chooses his club . Why not look at the 911 the same way ? A Gt3 is a primary use track car . A 991.2 GTS is a street car which can really surprise at the track as it is versatile . It can even be driven in snow flurries !!

So my introduction for those who dont know me from elsewhere - I currently own three Porsches and have owned a total of 15. The three at present are a Macan GTS , A 997.1 Turbo (EVT700 -modified) manual , and a 991.2 GTS PDK.

Enjoyed reading the thread .

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-21-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2017 | 07:28 PM
Rezus
Racer

So many false assumptions up there don't know where to start! In the interest of letting the argument die, I am just going to tell you that a lot people are ready to upgrade from a 991.1 S/GTS to the more expensive GT3 given the opportunity, same people would not touch a .2 GTS. Just see how people went nuts with the 991 R, NA and a MT. So the money is not necessarily the issue and residuals and resale of .1 GTS is pretty damn good. There is a fundamental difference between driving experience of NA engine and Turbo car, some prefer one over the other, if you don't know what that it is , chances are you never get it. Now you can go on and ramble about the performance numbers and measurable this or that....a Tesla will beat your fancy GTS to that parking spot or at the traffic light and has no lag.
Old 12-21-2017 | 07:41 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rezus
So many false assumptions up there don't know where to start! In the interest of letting the argument die, I am just going to tell you that a lot people are ready to upgrade from a 991.1 S/GTS to the more expensive GT3 given the opportunity, same people would not touch a .2 GTS. Just see how people went nuts with the 991 R, NA and a MT. So the money is not necessarily the issue and residuals and resale of .1 GTS is pretty damn good. There is a fundamental difference between driving experience of NA engine and Turbo car, some prefer one over the other, if you don't know what that it is , chances are you never get it. Now you can go on and ramble about the performance numbers and measurable this or that....a Tesla will beat your fancy GTS to that parking spot or at the traffic light and has no lag.
But a Tesla will fry on a track so it dosnt have the overall capability . Have you upgraded from a 991.1 GTS to a .2 Gt3 ? Sure some people prefer NA over Turbo . I have owned both simultaneously but not this time . There is no NA street driving modern 911 and unless one wants to simply lock himself in the past he has no choice but to either stall out with his antiquated car or move forward and right now the .2 GTS is about as good as it gets . But I forgot "a lot of people " (other people or you ?) are getting a Gt3 (to drive in the snow flurries ?) .

Lets face it .. regardless of what you prefer if you are holding a 991.1 it sure is cheaper to hate the new car .
Old 12-21-2017 | 08:01 PM
Rezus
Racer

Originally Posted by yrralis1
But a Tesla will fry on a track so it dosnt have the overall capability . Have you upgraded from a 991.1 GTS to a .2 Gt3 ? Sure some people prefer NA over Turbo . I have owned both simultaneously but not this time . There is no NA street driving modern 911 and unless one wants to simply lock himself in the past he has no choice but to either stall out with his antiquated car or move forward and right now the .2 GTS is about as good as it gets . But I forgot "a lot of people " (other people or you ?) are getting a Gt3 (to drive in the snow flurries ?) .

Lets face it .. regardless of what you prefer if you are holding a 991.1 it sure is cheaper to hate the new car .
I am on the list hoping and praying to get an allocation, I have absolutely no interest in .2 GTS and much rather keep the antiquated .1 GTS. It would be foolish on your part to assume I am not in a .2 GTS because of the cost. My 16 GTS was the same price as a GTS now a little over a year ago and I have lost a lot more money changing cars than the delta needed to change now.
And by the way a GT3 is as good if not better in snow than your torquey GTS with same tires, unless you driving the Carrera 4, not sure what make you think it makes it better?
Old 12-21-2017 | 08:16 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

I am on the list hoping and praying to get an allocation, I have absolutely no interest in .2 GTS and much rather keep the antiquated .1 GTS. It would be foolish on your part to assume I am not in a .2 GTS because of the cost. My 16 GTS was the same price as a GTS now a little over a year ago and I have lost a lot more money changing cars than the delta needed to change now.
And by the way a GT3 is as good if not better in snow than your torquey GTS with same tires, unless you driving the Carrera 4, not sure what make you think it makes it better?
Get the Gt3 , drive it every day (as is possible with a GTS ) , and enjoy it . Enjoy the bumps , rain, snow, and anything else you think a Gt3 can handle on the street. Good luck with it. Until that time you have no leg to stand on . It's just empty words about two cars you dont currently own or drive (.2 Gt3 and .2 GTS) .

I am not criticizing the 991.1 . I have called it a sucess . I have stated I like both .
But the .1's time is done !!
There is not one real world test where the .2 doesnt beat the .1 .
Street data, track data, tech data , comfort data, efficiency data .. the .1 cant compete . Even the PDK and even the manual are upgraded .
Old 12-21-2017 | 08:19 PM
K-A
Drifting

Exactly. It’s hilarious how some people can’t accept that. But hey, if I paid $150K for a new GTS and guys with .1’s which are holding their values tremendously yet cost half the price are telling honest stories about how the new turbos just don’t do it for them, how the “10,000” minute better Ring time doesn’t matter, I’d also try and convince myself of some BS conspiracy that they’re too “poor” to make the switch to a .2, to justify my own investment. Maybe I’d lash out at a reviewer for getting “facts wrong” when in fact he didn’t get one wrong.

Fact is, it doesn’t stir us like the N/A models. Saving money is simply yet another of its benefits (to us).
Old 12-21-2017 | 08:25 PM
Rezus
Racer

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Get the Gt3 , drive it every day (as is possible with a GTS ) , and enjoy it . Enjoy the bumps , rain, snow, and anything else you think a Gt3 can handle on the street. Good luck with it. Until that time you have no leg to stand on . It's just empty words about two cars you dont currently own or drive (.2 Gt3 and .2 GTS) .

I am not criticizing the 991.1 . I have called it a sucess . I have stated I like both .
But the .1's time is done !!
There is not one real world test where the .2 doesnt beat the .1 .
Street data, track data, tech data , comfort data, efficiency data .. the .1 cant compete . Even the PDK and even the manual are upgraded .
Lol, yes Boss whatever you say.

As predicted the point I was trying to make went right over your head. I prefer a NA car, you seem to belong to the camp that wants the newest and shiniest car, oh look at me, I am so rich, I have the newer car you can not afford, classic.

Great introduction BTW.

Quick Reply: "The Getawayer" Guido Komp review of the .2 GTS