Sponsored by:

"The Getawayer" Guido Komp review of the .2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:53 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Really - I suspect you don't know what effective compression ratio is and how it works to deliver engine response. You probably think you do - like Guido. I know he's parroting catechism because of that, likewise throttle response. I can assure you am done with you.

Nope, the chances are you're just immature and irresponsible.

And the problem for you is not do I understand it I can calculate for every second of every lap that I do along with the amount of HP and torque nominally delivered per lap.
All the while missing the big picture...I have as much fun by working my underpowered engine and not measuring a thing but pure joy of just driving
Old 12-22-2017, 11:57 PM
Rezus
Racer

Originally Posted by K-A
LMAO, record low U.S 911 sales for the .2 gen really speaks to what you're saying. So does the fact that the (N/A) GT3 is the only thing that saved .2 sales from declining further this year.

But hey, randr knows all.

Keep sippin' that kool tea though, it's doing wonders for your critical thinking.
Seriously, last I checked the most desirable and in demand 911 were still NA variety, the ones that demand a premium over MSRP, there are few GTS sitting on my dealer show room and available for 6% off without much haggling
Old 12-23-2017, 12:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
Seriously, last I checked the most desirable and in demand 911 were still NA variety, the ones that demand a premium over MSRP, there are few GTS sitting on my dealer show room and available for 6% off without much haggling
Yup, no question about it. randr seems to live in his own world where nobody likes N/A cars and emotion/soul is a marketing gimmick (his exact words: "I don't understand the concept of emotion in a car." Explains all I need to know) and everyone wants a high powered washing machine. But, then again, he's one of very few who are on a vendetta against even the GT3 (widely heralded as the most flawless feeling + soul gushing sports car benchmark out there).

Nevermind the how far removed that is from reality, especially in the 911 world. I could go drive a GTS sitting on a dealer lot all day. A GT3? LOL, my dealer has way more of them, and they're either spoken for or asking massive increases. Meanwhile those of us who bought .1's within the past year or two could sell it for more than we bought it for, and other N/A models have been following suit upwards in the resale department. But hey, what does the market know? randr knows.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:08 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Got to a laugh at you guys I track two NA Porsche sports (one of which is a cup car) and a turbocharged car. I live the reality.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:09 AM
K-A
Drifting

Got to a laugh at you guys I track two NA Porsche sports (one of which is a cup car) and a turbocharged car. I live the reality.
You're the best!
Old 12-23-2017, 12:10 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Really - I suspect you don't know what effective compression ratio is and how it works to deliver engine response. You probably think you do - like Guido. I know he's parroting catechism because of that, likewise throttle response. I can assure you am done with you..
Haha. Lol, you're the only smart guy on the internet? The only thing you serve to prove with these types of responses is not your intelligence, nor your masterful understanding of vehicular technology, but how little tolerance you have for someone with a differing viewpoint. Or, what you ASSUME is a differing viewpoint.

You know what the funny thing is? I have no, and I mean ZERO, problem with the 991.2. I have never, once, bashed it, decried it, nor lauded it as the death of the 911. I have even said that I thought it was going to open up a entire new world of tuned Carreras. I am actually a huge fan of forced induction, having owned (and currently own) various single and double turbocharged cars, most stock, some not. I can assure you that I am intimately familiar with the benefits of turbocharging.

No engine formula is perfect. The .2's Turbos add torque at the expense of some lack of response and a muted soundtrack. The .1 suffers from a lack of low end torque but retains an eagerness to rev and a rush to the redline. There is no free lunch and if you are as knowledgeable as you say, you will know that.

I've also repeatedly said the .2 is a better Car, overall. I think anyone who can't see that it is an improvement over the .1, especially in the chassis, is kidding themselves. And I've not been one of those people. Nor are most of the people whom you repeatedly attack.

Yet because I post a review you don't agree with, that means the reviewer is factually incorrect and I don't know what an effective compression ratio is? Sorry, but that's not the way it works. The beauty of this forum is that there are many people who own many different cars. How many variants of the 991 alone are there? Imagine that we went around calling targa owners factually incorrect because they enjoy their power retracting roof panel more than a coupe because, you know, the coupe is lighter and stiffer and therefore better. That would make this forum a great place to be, wouldn't it? No, we don't do that because that would be rude.

So why rail against an owner who prefers the naturally aspirated engine to the turbo one? I doubt the most of them are under the illusion that the .1's naturally aspirated engine is faster or "better" yet they prefer it. Why? Who cares, that's on them.

I posted this review because I think this reviewer knows cars, and does a good job of reviewing them. I don't always agree with what he says nor am I requesting you or anyone else to. I would hope that we can all be tolerant of other's opinions without having to resort to ad hominem attacks rather than discussing the subject for what it is. Is that too much to ask? Sometimes I fear it is.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:15 AM
randr
Banned

And I reposted a response as to why I didn't like the review. Thats what a forum is for.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:16 AM
Rezus
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Haha. Lol, you're the only smart guy on the internet? .
No he is Micheal Schumacher
Old 12-23-2017, 12:17 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
You're the best!
Go and get some genuine experience with Porsche Sports - it will stop you sounding like a troll.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:18 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by Rezus
No he is Micheal Schumacher
Nope, but I am a fully accredited driver - and do it for real, largely for fun and on the cheap these days.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

Go and get some genuine experience with Porsche Sports - it will stop you sounding like a troll.
Go and get some genuine experience with real life and accept that others won't always like what you like. It'll stop you from sounding like a troll.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:22 AM
Rezus
Racer

Nope, but I am a fully accredited driver - and do it for real, largely for fun and on the cheap these days.
Good for you, still can't get in my head and tell me what to like. All I have been saying is which I prefer
Old 12-23-2017, 12:24 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Go and get some genuine experience with real life and accept that others won't always like what you like. It'll stop you from sounding like a troll.
Oh dear. Really, you dont think I understand that and the fact remains it is you that's in this 991.2 GTS thread - now that is funny.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:26 AM
K-A
Drifting

What's mind bendingly hilarious to me is that a few select people here can't accept that what they have isn't better to everyone in every which way.

NOBODY says that the .2 isn't a technical superior car. If Porsche didn't build a technically superior car, they wouldn't be Porsche.

WE, and MANY out there agree (just look at the comment section in any .2 911 youtube video, especially sound related, including the one of this very review, top voted comments are always ones critical of the new sound vs the N/A motors, this is just general car enthusiast talk) purely *feel* less enjoyment from the new car.

*I* don't like the way it sounds, and I don't like the throttle response compared to the old car, nor do I appreciate its powerband as much. I feel that it lends a very homogenized, muted, non joyous experience. Thus, I accept the shortcomings of the .1 because where it does shine, I appreciate more to a level that it scores more points.

THAT is too much for you guys to handle? Really? I don't go ripping apart 997 guys who claim the 991 got too soft, and give them track data and "evidence" of how much faster 991's are, how much more comfortable they are. I respect and actually understand where they're coming from. If you truly thought your cars are so great, you wouldn't let some opinions about how your car feels to others sour your feelings toward it, now would you? That's called insecurity.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:29 AM
randr
Banned

You don't seem to get this - I have zero interest in the 991.1 or your comments on the 991.2.

No one is twisting your arm to buy one, the recipe is simple if you want a new NA Porsche get a GT3 or buy a CPO (as you have done).

Quick Reply: "The Getawayer" Guido Komp review of the .2 GTS