Sponsored by:

"The Getawayer" Guido Komp review of the .2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:57 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
stop telling us it is the best thing since slice bread, it ain't.
I've never said that - simply pointed out what it can and can not do in numeric terms and in comparison to other cars in the line up. Usually in response to some inaccurate statement or comment.

Originally Posted by JustBud
Hey look! a new member of the .1 posse! We .2 guys can only wish to be as cool ..
Its fun being in the uncool club.........
Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey look! a new member of the .1 posse! We .2 guys can only wish to be as cool as you .1 guys..... true old school, just ask the 997 guys, you'll fit right in., Then the 997 guys can ask the air cooled guys, etc.

Who cares, you like NA and MT, I love my FI and PDK.

You have a slower NA car now.....quit complaining, enjoy it. Let those of us that don't mind boosted Carrera's enjoy ours......

Facts are that the .2 is faster, that is measurable. Does the .1 sound better? That's purely subjective and just opinion, even if it is a popular one. Sounds better can't be proven no mater how much you want to argue it.

BTW, 981's have the same NA engine as the .1, I think you're trying to say the 718 sounds like ****, unless you are admitting the NA sound isn't as great as you claim it to be.

All this arguing back and forth is complete nonsense, I can't believe I've been dragged back into it however briefly.......back to OT for me, the discussions there make more sense......
he’s just stating why he likes his car. It’s okay to like something over something else. People keep posting videos that have nothing to do with the OP so I’ll add another video that I like as well:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._SvdBc7j2KkAX0

Old 12-19-2017, 12:26 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 12-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe you could post it again, for the ones that missed it the first two times ...
Old 12-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Damn R Rated - you really like to stir the s**t. How many times are you going to post that stupid vid. I mean it was kinda funny the first 2 seconds and you got it running for about 15 minutes and posted it about 8 times already (at least). Getting really tiresome. Give it a break already.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:07 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Always liked this guy’s reviews and this one mirrors a lot of my impressions of the new GTS. Fundamentally great, but just lacking that inspiration factor.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Akunob
The disappointment is obvious in his voice...wow, and here I was thinking that the GTS in MT was the ideal non-GT3 car to have. I guess the Carrera T might be in contention. Interesting.
That’s just the thing. If you crave rawness in the sense where you need an N/A screaming behind you without a smaller DI engine and turbo homogenization, the .2 will impress you by power, but none are replacements for a 9K revving, atmospheric engine. I loved the GTS for how it kicks the tail out brutally. But every run up, every downshift was disappointing in terms of sound and communication. Like you’re getting ultimate performance though a load of refinement-filtering.

It did everything better than my .1 C2. But at over double the cost of what my car goes for right now, it’s a tough proposition (for me) to spend that kind of dough and miss the way my 350 HP Carrera sounds and communicates when I rev it, or downshift it (downshifts on .2’s even with PSE sound like a practically silent luxury car, while its utter raucousness is one of my favorite aspects on my car), or its at-one-with-car nearly analogue throttle response. The base .2 (no performance options) was maybe the most disappointing test drive I’ve ever had. I was shocked at how civil and just muted it felt, like the experience factor had been filtered out. Incredibly refined and grown up. Again, fundamentally better than my car in probably every way, but I literally couldn’t run fast enough (I enjoyed the GTS MUCH more thanks to its more violent power more so compensating for the lack of sound, and how much tighter it felt overall) from it. Driving an older car and feeling genuinely BETTER about it after getting out of a newer model is a rarity, which is the case with the Base I drove.

If you don’t feel the same way, then for you perhaps in the .2 gen, there is a close enough “replacement” for the GT3. For me, personally, not at all.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey look! a new member of the .1 posse! We .2 guys can only wish to be as cool as you .1 guys..... true old school, just ask the 997 guys, you'll fit right in., Then the 997 guys can ask the air cooled guys, etc.

Who cares, you like NA and MT, I love my FI and PDK.

You have a slower NA car now.....quit complaining, enjoy it. Let those of us that don't mind boosted Carrera's enjoy ours......

Facts are that the .2 is faster, that is measurable. Does the .1 sound better? That's purely subjective and just opinion, even if it is a popular one. Sounds better can't be proven no mater how much you want to argue it.

BTW, 981's have the same NA engine as the .1, I think you're trying to say the 718 sounds like ****, unless you are admitting the NA sound isn't as great as you claim it to be.

All this arguing back and forth is complete nonsense, I can't believe I've been dragged back into it however briefly.......back to OT for me, the discussions there make more sense......
Again regurgitating the same old stuff, measurable faster as if anybody said it wasn't. I guess you didn't watch the video, oh well...
I never complained, it was the .2 guys complaining about the video not raving about the car. Also if you don't think the NA engine sounds better, then you are in your own unique utopia.

Originally Posted by randr
I've never said that - simply pointed out what it can and can not do in numeric terms and in comparison to other cars in the line up. Usually in response to some inaccurate statement or comment.

Its fun being in the uncool club.........
Yes numerically it is impressive, so are a lot of large sedans with biturbo engines...
Old 12-20-2017, 02:11 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
Again regurgitating the same old stuff, measurable faster as if anybody said it wasn't. I guess you didn't watch the video, oh well...
I never complained, it was the .2 guys complaining about the video not raving about the car. Also if you don't think the NA engine sounds better, then you are in your own unique utopia.

Yes numerically it is impressive, so are a lot of large sedans with biturbo engines...
Yes but it isn't a large sedan.........thats the point, its a very glued down car. In fact its so glued down its as quick as a GT3. The fact that it can do this tells you all you a lot e.g. how the engine performs, how the car brakes and how it goes round corners. If the GT3 is good ............then it follows the GTS must be, which it is.

I did watch the video and as I pointed out he was factually incorrect on a number of points.

Took two of my grand kids to the wharf today for a bit of fishing, can't do that in a GT3.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:30 AM
K-A
Drifting

The Nissan GTR is even faster. And feels and sounds as soulless as an Altima. There’s no stat for the most paramount aspect within a sports car: Emotivity. It’s what makes some getting out of a .2 GTS feeling “meh” while getting out of a GT3 feeling like new life was injected into them, despite similar track times which are meaningless to most in the real world. Or why I enjoyed a drive (even on track) in an F430 FAR more than I did the much faster GTR.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:48 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

After 15 years of driving aircooled Porsche’s (n/a and turbo) I am now making the switch to the 991.2, I never knew there were this much sentiments going on in the 991.1 vs 991.2 debate. Almost feels like the air- vs water cooled discussion, makes me feel right at home. Let’s not make it bigger then it is. Car (opinion) aside, it is just not a very good review.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:29 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The Nissan GTR is even faster. And feels and sounds as soulless as an Altima. There’s no stat for the most paramount aspect within a sports car: Emotivity. It’s what makes some getting out of a .2 GTS feeling “meh” while getting out of a GT3 feeling like new life was injected into them, despite similar track times which are meaningless to most in the real world. Or why I enjoyed a drive (even on track) in an F430 FAR more than I did the much faster GTR.
Off the line yes. On a rolling start my 991 GTS was faster.

Other than the gear box it was a cherry of a car. Guido is correct its a mini 911R.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Yes but it isn't a large sedan.........thats the point, its a very glued down car. In fact its so glued down its as quick as a GT3. The fact that it can do this tells you all you a lot e.g. how the engine performs, how the car brakes and how it goes round corners. If the GT3 is good ............then it follows the GTS must be, which it is.

I did watch the video and as I pointed out he was factually incorrect on a number of points.

Took two of my grand kids to the wharf today for a bit of fishing, can't do that in a GT3.
You are correct, the rear seats are a game changer.

Regarding your other point, you keep saying that he is "factually incorrect". I just watched the video again an only caught one fact that I thought was incorrect. He called the seats "fixed back" but they looked like the Euro-only folding backed buckets. Which likely would account for his comment regarding the seating position.

Other er than that, I cannot one FACT that he makes that he is incorrect on. In fact, he basically agrees with everything you say with regards to its capability and performance. He praises the chassis, says the engine has a lot more low down torque, calls it a better car overall than the previous. So what does he say that is a FACT, not opinion, that is incorrect?
Old 12-20-2017, 08:52 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

You are correct, the rear seats are a game changer.

Regarding your other point, you keep saying that he is "factually incorrect". I just watched the video again an only caught one fact that I thought was incorrect. He called the seats "fixed back" but they looked like the Euro-only folding backed buckets. Which likely would account for his comment regarding the seating position.

Other er than that, I cannot one FACT that he makes that he is incorrect on. In fact, he basically agrees with everything you say with regards to its capability and performance. He praises the chassis, says the engine has a lot more low down torque, calls it a better car overall than the previous. So what does he say that is a FACT, not opinion, that is incorrect?
There is nothing he said that’s factually incorrect. It’s a classic argument one puts out when they don’t like what’s being said (throwing the word “fact” around as opinion).
Old 12-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Reading through the last few replies, I think it is time to resurrect the old .1 vs .2 Fight Club Thread.

Do not tempt me as many of us caught flack for disrupting many threads, only to be ridiculed once again for starting a dedicated one, to argue all virtues and shortcomings of the 2 trims.

Back on topic, I agree with the review.
No I do not mean to insult .2 owners. Porsche Management, that is another story
.1s sound better, anyone arguing otherwise is deaf (not a bad thing in today's market of "dull, downsized, and depressing" offerings, to quote an article).
.2s are every bit the better performance option, blistering fast, efficient, and supremely capable.

We all picked the ones that stir our souls. Some are even more fortunate to own both, bless!

Argue less, drive more!

Quick Reply: "The Getawayer" Guido Komp review of the .2 GTS