Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do I really need winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, Im now committed to WInter Tires. I have 20" OEM wheels if anyone has a spare set of 20" winters they want to sell.....
Old 12-15-2017, 09:22 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

The thing w winter tires is, you put them on, you drive on them through a 70+ degree December.

Then next year, you decide to put them on a week or two later, and you get two snow storms by mid month.

I'm confident once I have my tires on, by next Tuesday, NYC area will warm up to about 70
Old 12-15-2017, 10:49 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need them

This is today
Old 12-16-2017, 10:16 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 194 Posts

I needed them today as well.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:04 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
I have my c4S on the road all winter. I drive it occasionally.....like 1 day a week to work and on the weekends. I might put 500 miles between now and March. I wont drive it in the snow - although there's some risk I could get caught in a slight flurry- I would avoid snow or icy days and probably drive only on the sunny/dry days.

so......do I really need winter tires? I have the P-Zero that are factory on the car now. Are they that bad in the winter? im not doing any performance driving in the winter although I would be getting up to speed on the highway, etc.

Its not cost as much as it is time I dont have to get tires swapped, space to store them, etc....
Interesting responses to your initial question. I think it boils down to how much you're willing to risk. I don't think that there's any objective or subjective evidence to say that summer tires perform as well as dedicated snow tires in the winter. Therefore it's up to you. How much time and/or money is it worth to you to minimize the risk to you, your family or a bystander in the event that you get put in an untenable situation with your car. For me personally, there's no way I'm taking that risk for a few K. In fact, I put snows on my wife's Macan in the winter because I didn't think the AS were adequate. I DD my C4 during the Chicago winter. I know that it's not a guarantee, but at least I put myself in the best position to avoid problems.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:44 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I think there is more than plenty of evidence!

Old 12-16-2017, 01:03 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
I think there is more than plenty of evidence!

I think that you misread my post. I stated that there is no evidence that summer tires are better than winter tires in the winter. That would only leave the options that winter tires are better or (less likely) equal to summer tires.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:14 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I think that you misread my post. I stated that there is no evidence that summer tires are better than winter tires in the winter. That would only leave the options that winter tires are better or (less likely) equal to summer tires.
You are right, I did. And fully agree that it's all about your own personal tolerance for risk.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:39 PM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I've got winter rubber. It's just in my garage, not at the dealership. Dealership is far enough away that I'm not going to cart wheels back and forth 2 at a time in my wife's Cayman.
I’m same. Keep in my garage and can swap wheels in about 30 min. 911 is super easy to do. Also, keep in mind you’re extensing the life of summer tires, which are normally more expensive. Effectively the only additional cost is a second set of wheels.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:50 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I don't think that there's any objective or subjective evidence to say that summer tires perform as well as dedicated snow tires in the winter.
But there is plenty of subjective, objective and anecdotal evidence to say that all season perform far better than summer tires and winter considerably better than all season in cold, snowy and icy weather.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I took my 911 out for dinner and got caught in an inch of snow. Summer tires on. Six blocks from my home with some hills. No problem at all. C4. I am not advocating using summer tires in the winter at all - just sharing info. I have been debating getting winter tires or a wheel set but my life is a bit in flux right now so I am not sure where I will be or if I will sell the car for a GT3 etc so I am holding off.

P.S. Some of us name our cars. You can probably guess what her name is....and she is still sporting her European Delivery license plate.

Oyster House, Wilmington DE (you've been geo coded!).

Great 911 name and pics
Old 12-16-2017, 02:35 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Oyster House, Wilmington DE (you've been geo coded!).

Great 911 name and pics
Ha ha...Stalker! Correct.....but the first picture was at Catherine Rooneys an hour earlier (an Irish pub a block away). Love where I live - there are so many options.

But to keep the thread on track....here is some more real world data on using summer tires in the winter:

Friday, my wife and I drove my 911 C4 with P Zeros from Wilmington to DC on I-95. It's normally not much of a traction problem driving summer tires in 26 degree temps on dry pavement as long as you drive it like a Camry....but.... Oh..."the snowfall wont be south of Wilmington according to forecasts" she says. 15 miles into the drive and I-95 is covered in snow. I'm seriously worried as the trip is 109 miles and we start debating turning back but ultimately press on (after yelling and blaming each other). I stayed in the right lane at half the speed limit and at least 10mph less than traffic. We were all moving slow. Tractor trailers were passing me. I made the huge mistake of listening to siri on a quicker route just south of Baltimore. (because of multiple accidents on I-95 lol). I ended up on back roads that were very hilly. I passed 3 accidents of cars sliding off the road down hills and others disabled because they could't get traction uphill (all in 20 minutes). I was reflecting on this thread and kicking myself and full of stress that I didn't get my winter wheel set yet. Another accident in front of us cost 90 minutes to move 4 miles. My problem was that it was hilly and I was starting off on hills from stop and go traffic. (mostly stop). The car did fine. I did not. The last hill was the steepest and all four tires were spinning and the car started sliding off the road to the right. A little bit of steering and throttle correction (and PSM help) got the car up the hill. friggin scary. I had to stop at the gas station at the top of the hill to get a soda and to calm down. No way would a C2 have made it. 2 hour trip turned into 6 hours. A C4 or C4S with winter tires would be a beast in the snow!

My car looks like crap with salt and frozen sludge all over it. But it's only a car and a winter beater for me. I agree with other posters that this is all about risk tolerance and mine is fairly high. I don't recommend using summer tires in the winter.

Last edited by subshooter; 12-16-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:15 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,274 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Ha ha...Stalker! Correct.....but the first picture was at Catherine Rooneys an hour earlier (an Irish pub a block away). Love where I live - there are so many options.
The last hill was the steepest and all four tires were spinning and the car started sliding off the road to the right. A little bit of steering and throttle correction (and PSM help) got the car up the hill. friggin scary. I had to stop at the gas station at the top of the hill to get a soda and to calm down. No way would a C2 have made it. 2 hour trip turned into 6 hours. A C4 or C4S with winter tires would be a beast in the snow!
Yup, been there, done that.

Last week I was on an incline (not too steep) covered in snow/ice and from a standstill had one hell of a time (and I have Alpin PA4s on C2) making it.

On summer tires I'd still be there...
Old 01-28-2022, 11:00 PM
Crowndog1

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reply

Originally Posted by friar93
I have my c4S on the road all winter. I drive it occasionally.....like 1 day a week to work and on the weekends. I might put 500 miles between now and March. I wont drive it in the snow - although there's some risk I could get caught in a slight flurry- I would avoid snow or icy days and probably drive only on the sunny/dry days.

so......do I really need winter tires? I have the P-Zero that are factory on the car now. Are they that bad in the winter? im not doing any performance driving in the winter although I would be getting up to speed on the highway, etc.

Its not cost as much as it is time I dont have to get tires swapped, space to store them, etc....
yes, because low temperatures require a different tire formula to get traction. The whole deal with winter Vs summer vs supersummer vs all weather is rubber formulation to get the best traction vs wear. Very complex topic.

Quick Reply: do I really need winter tires?