Sponsored by:

do I really need winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 04:51 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
Has anyone experienced cracking of their summer tires in winter? In North Texas, temps get below 40 in morning and warm up to 60s pretty routinely. On my previous .1, I wouldn't drive it below about 35 degrees but in 3 years I never experienced cracking. Not debating merits of driving summer tires in winter, just asking how likely it is to incur damage to the tire. Thanks!
From what I saw from the set of pilot super sports I lost, sustained temps below 20° F did them in. In the 40's you're fine. Also if you have a garage attached to your house the heat from your home tends to keep things few degrees warmer too. In my case, detached garage, no heat, and ice cold temperatures for days on end. If you have cup tires or trofeo's I would be a bit more worried about temps below 30° F.

Per Pirelli: (in regards to their R compound tires)
Freeze Crack Advisory: This advisory addresses proper storage and use of Pirelli Racing Tires in cold conditions. Pirelli Racing Tires, especially asphalt and hard compound tires, may experience Rubber Cracking if the tires are transported, crushed, flexed or stressed when frozen. The following guidelines are provided to avoid this problem:
1. Always store Pirelli Racing Tires indoors at temperatures above 32° F.
2. If tires have been subject to 32° F or less, allow them to warm to room temperature about 70° F for a minimum of 24 hrs before tires are mounted, transported or flexed.
3. Always use spare tires not intended for future competition to store vehicles for prolonged periods of time or winter transport.
4. If below freezing temperatures are expected, please consider shipping tires once more favorable conditions exist.

Do not use tires that have evidence of Freeze Crack Damage.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav
If you have cup tires or trofeo's I would be a bit more worried about temps below 30° F.

Per Pirelli: (in regards to their R compound tires)
I'm hoping that these storage concerns don't apply to more mundane summer tires. I store my summer tires in the same conditions you mention - detached garage, no heat, temperatures frequently well below freezing. Typically I'll swap them back when evening / morning temperatures are reliably in the mid-50's or so, so they don't go from freezing to use, but they don't hit 70 degrees either.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Curious....why A/S instead of Winters?
The a/s tires are high enough performance to be great fun when the roads are clear. Snow tires, not so much.

I pick my days and just drive when I want to. So I can avoid the worst of it.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

My colleague kept his summer tires on his trickle charged 997.2 in an unheated garage and the summer tires cracked, had to be replaced. He now pays for offsite storage of car in heated garage. Temps to minus 20 here in VT. My garage doesn't get below freezing.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:10 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,274 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

The a/s tires are high enough performance to be great fun when the roads are clear. Snow tires, not so much.
My Alpin PA4s offer great performance in cold.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I'm hoping that these storage concerns don't apply to more mundane summer tires. I store my summer tires in the same conditions you mention - detached garage, no heat, temperatures frequently well below freezing. Typically I'll swap them back when evening / morning temperatures are reliably in the mid-50's or so, so they don't go from freezing to use, but they don't hit 70 degrees either.
Gus I live in the burbs of Philly, I am pretty sure Boston sees temps like we see if not colder. I would recommend getting them into the basement of your place or some other temperature controlled area. I would consider my Pilot Super Sports that got ruined pretty normal summer tires.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:29 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I took my 911 out for dinner and got caught in an inch of snow. Summer tires on. Six blocks from my home with some hills. No problem at all. C4. I am not advocating using summer tires in the winter at all - just sharing info. I have been debating getting winter tires or a wheel set but my life is a bit in flux right now so I am not sure where I will be or if I will sell the car for a GT3 etc so I am holding off.

P.S. Some of us name our cars. You can probably guess what her name is....and she is still sporting her European Delivery license plate.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
My Alpin PA4s offer great performance in cold.
Same here.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Same here.
That’s good to hear. Compared to the A/S 3+ they will be better in snow and ice but not as good on dry or wet. Its just a matter of where you spend most of your time. In the winter I drive mostly on cold, dry roads so the A/S is a perfect fit - it handles nearly as well as a dedicated summer tire while still being able to handle snow and ice when necessary.

If I was driving more consistently in the winter and needed more snow traction, the PA4 would probably be the better choice for me.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:02 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Gus I live in the burbs of Philly, I am pretty sure Boston sees temps like we see if not colder. I would recommend getting them into the basement of your place or some other temperature controlled area. I would consider my Pilot Super Sports that got ruined pretty normal summer tires.
My PSS from my SQ5 spent last winter in cold garage and were fine. Now you have me worried about my Pirellis from 911 that are in the cold garage........................
Old 12-14-2017, 02:41 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what your car insurance company would do if you crashed in the winter with tires that say " not recommended for use under 40 degrees" . Or whatever they say. Not have to pay the claim? Just wondering.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:46 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shekmark
I wonder what your car insurance company would do if you crashed in the winter with tires that say " not recommended for use under 40 degrees" . Or whatever they say. Not have to pay the claim? Just wondering.
Good question. Would/should feel like an idiot ........
Old 12-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Drove my car home in ~35 degree weather on the summer tires. No difficulties at all due to temperature, and the roads were dry. Of course I wasn't remotely pushing the car, but I was feeling very paranoid about it. Winter wheels go on tomorrow.

Name:  rGCIAJv.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  321.6 KB
Old 12-14-2017, 04:08 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Why or how would they know?
Old 12-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subshooter
Why or how would they know?
Depends on the circumstances, but if the insurance adjuster is competent, they're going to take note of the tires. I know that if it were my job, I'd be checking things like tread wear, since well-worn tires are a problem in winter, whether they're winter tires or not.

Quick Reply: do I really need winter tires?