Sponsored by:

991.2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:07 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,291 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Like any car, if you are in the right gear for the acceleration you want, lag is minimal to none.
No regrets, the .2 is a joy to drive and very fast.
Originally Posted by subshooter
No. Not at all. I have 5000 miles on mine and I don't notice it. I have the base engine which will have less lag than any of the three 3.0L engines.
A co-worker of mine has a .2 base (I haven't driven it yet) and he claims lag is not noticeable at all as well.

I simply don't understand what all this "lag" talk is about given the superior performance to the .1.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
A co-worker of mine has a .2 base (I haven't driven it yet) and he claims lag is not noticeable at all as well.

I simply don't understand what all this "lag" talk is about given the superior performance to the .1.

There is nothing "Superior" to the performance of the .1 over the .2 other than the way they sound having owned both, the .2 car is faster, steering feedback and handling are way better.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:32 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by kahane18
There is nothing "Superior" to the performance of the .1 over the .2 other than the way they sound having owned both, the .2 car is faster, steering feedback and handling are way better.
Maybe my post was not clear but I'm agreeing with you here, this is why I find the argument about this minor lag issue so odd when the .2 has such superior performance to the .1.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:44 AM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
Maybe my post was not clear but I'm agreeing with you here, this is why I find the argument about this minor lag issue so odd when the .2 has such superior performance to the .1.
Misunderstood, apologies....
Old 12-05-2017, 11:54 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by kahane18
Misunderstood, apologies....
No worries, it looks like the .2 is quite reliable so far.

This will factor greatly in my decision down the road as to whether I keep the .1 or not.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tse

Look - the lag is very minimal and Porsche comes third to 2 other cars I've driven - 488 and AMG GT. That is very good company.

Some people really don't know what lag is.... I have a friend with an older Audi A4 2.0T that swears it has no lag.... I had one for a few years and as great of a car as it is - there absolutely is awful lag. The #2 cars are better but anyone stating no lag just doesn't know any better. Good thing everyone on this forum is a master engineer and expert in all things.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:22 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

This thread is about problems experienced by .2 owners with their cars, not about sound, lag, linearity or any other buzz words that get thrown around in this forum way too often by people who have very little, if any seat time in the .2.

If it will help those that continue to harp on lag, I will address it with my own experience after 8,000 miles. If you are in the wrong gear and you stomp the go pedal, you will experience brief lag. Typically the smaller the turbo, the faster the spool, the lesser amount of lag is experienced. The torque that the FI engine produces will reduce the effects of feeling said lag. So even with an S or GTS the amount of lag with larger turbos is minimized by the torque produced so quickly. If however, you are in the correct gear and/or the rpm's are in an upper register for the gear, you do not feel it.

There, I've said it, the .2 has lag, so can we now move on to more productive conversations.

And to the subject of this thread, i have experience zero problems with my .2
Old 12-05-2017, 01:51 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
This thread is about problems experienced by .2 owners with their cars, not about sound, lag, linearity or any other buzz words that get thrown around in this forum way too often by people who have very little, if any seat time in the .2.

If it will help those that continue to harp on lag, I will address it with my own experience after 8,000 miles. If you are in the wrong gear and you stomp the go pedal, you will experience brief lag. Typically the smaller the turbo, the faster the spool, the lesser amount of lag is experienced. The torque that the FI engine produces will reduce the effects of feeling said lag. So even with an S or GTS the amount of lag with larger turbos is minimized by the torque produced so quickly. If however, you are in the correct gear and/or the rpm's are in an upper register for the gear, you do not feel it.

There, I've said it, the .2 has lag, so can we now move on to more productive conversations.

And to the subject of this thread, i have experience zero problems with my .2
ALB nails this. A quick downshift to anything even close to 2700 rpm results in imperceptible lag. In reality, I can be at 60 mph in 6th gear, most of the time, I don't bother to downshift when there is the need for speed. Just ride that wave of torque until you are happy. You can catch any engine in its' sleep zone, but you really have to hunt to find where the 3.0tt naps.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This is exactly right and the .1 does the same thing in higher gears. It has to get up in the rev range to make power, something that it doesn't do if you floor it in high gear at relative low (<2500) rpm. They will tell you this is not the definition of lag, but the overall affect is the same.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:39 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 405 Posts

I don't have any mechanical isues with my 2018 C4S. That is the main thing for me.
But I do have some minor rattles and some buzzing, rubbing sounds that are somewhat annoying.Exacerbated now in cold weather in NH. I think they are coming from the passenger seat belt area or further back. My previous Porsche, 981 Boxster S had the same issues even in the summers. I am not happy with this in a new car but it is a sports car with a stiff suspension so it is to be expected I suppose. I was prepared for it. The electronics are also somewhat finicky but generally OK. They revert back to normal behavior after some misfires.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 PM
bizwiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long oil change/ seat ventilation issue

I have a 2017 C4S, which I took in to the Porsche dealer for the first year check and oil change. The driver seat ventilation stopped working and I asked for this to be checked as well. Dealer said oil drain plug was over torqued by the factory, which stripped the threads in the pan. They told me they would have a new one expressed in and replaced nex business day. They have now had the car 12 days. They also told me there is a TSB out on the wiring chafing, requiring a new wiring harness for the seat. I am now told there are no oil pans available and they are backordered. 2+ weeks for an oil change seems way excessive. Any thoughts on what I should be doing? The service manager is nice, but not responsive. Anyone see this TSB?
Old 02-28-2018, 11:14 PM
phx991
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bizwiz
I have a 2017 C4S, which I took in to the Porsche dealer for the first year check and oil change. The driver seat ventilation stopped working and I asked for this to be checked as well. Dealer said oil drain plug was over torqued by the factory, which stripped the threads in the pan. They told me they would have a new one expressed in and replaced nex business day. They have now had the car 12 days. They also told me there is a TSB out on the wiring chafing, requiring a new wiring harness for the seat. I am now told there are no oil pans available and they are backordered. 2+ weeks for an oil change seems way excessive. Any thoughts on what I should be doing? The service manager is nice, but not responsive. Anyone see this TSB?
I don't understand how the drain plug can be over torqued and strip threads in the pan. The pan and plug are both plastic, and it just needs 1/4 turn by hand to lock into place. And they're saying the factory did that?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:44 PM
grigia
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems, just some rattles....
Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Only 1,200 miles but one infuriating rattle tracked down. The little ring that breaks away from a water bottle cap when you first open it, drove me mad for two days.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:25 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I don't think I would own a car where changing oil every 1k mattered.
+1. Change the oil every year if you aren't hitting the mileage trigger. But a change after every 1k, is throwing $ away. Don't believe me, send a sample of the 1k oil to a lab for analysis. Include a sample of new oil for comparison.

Quick Reply: 991.2 problems