Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Pwannabe
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the water pump replacement just preventative? Are you guys doing it every 15k mi or is this a one time thing?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwannabe
Is the water pump replacement just preventative? Are you guys doing it every 15k mi or is this a one time thing?
From other Rennlist threads, it seems that the water pump failures are tied to the 17s and early 18s, replaced under warranty with a more robust version. I have a later production '18 GTS and hope that mine was built with the more robust water pump. Haven't heard of any failures for late '18s or '19s yet. Some seem to have failed very early on '17s and '18s, 5k-15k miles.

You would think they would do a campaign and swap out all the bad ones but it doesn't seem to be the Porsche way. They would rather wait to see failures and then replace.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Mine is an April 2018 car. Every time I’m at the Porsche Centre, I get them to carry out a precautionary visual inspection of the water pump. So far, so good after 18,600 miles.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

A friend here in the UK has had a recall notice for faulty airbag screws on his 991.2 C4 GTS. His car is in now to get the work done.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwannabe
In my case and since I've had many problems with my past cars, my dealer change my water pump on a preventive basis. Still I had to provide documentation of the problem for them to be able to recognize that there was a problem with it and that Porsche had changed the pump design

I picked my car from service last night after the water pump change and this morning I noticed a vacuum cleaner type of sound when accelerating and seeing some boost indication. This is not normal so my dealer is picking up the car later today to check what could be the problem. Turbo related ?

I really like Porsche but I've had a lot of problems with my cards. Fortunately for me, my local dealer recognizes that I have been very unlucky with them and they really try to help me with my requests.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:53 AM
GG33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

posted in error
Old 07-10-2019, 07:12 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

16500 miles in 14 months with 0 issues.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:16 PM
CrownCityBoy
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

At 1620 miles P-Dealer replaced Fuel-Level Sensor because fuel gauge was stuck on "Full".
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Now that these cars have been getting some more mileage, any other problems to report ? I'm on my second 991.2 and these are the problems that I have faced with both:

991.2 Coupe (14.000 km):

- A lot of rattles even when the car was new. I had to take it to the dealer and they changed the rear seat belts because they were making a lot of noise.
- The car develop a estrange noise (like a bang when the engine was running....) that the dealer was never able to find what it was (sold the car to them soon after this happened).

991.2 Cabriolet (10.500 km):

- Front windshield changed since the seal was melting. It was very noticeable and you could see some black gooey material in the front pillars.
- Preventive water pump change done by my local dealer.
- AC compressor failed the first day since it wasn't filled with oil in the factory.
- Can't really tell about rattles since the car is a cabrio and it's much noisier that the coupe (worst with the top down).
- I drive a lot with my top down. Maybe because of the up/down of the top, its showing some early signs of wear on the side. This is strange since I make sure I keep it clean and sealed with the recommended type of products. Nothing major but you can see some fabrica wear after a year and a half...

What about Turbos or other parts of the engine ? Anybody with problems ?

Any problems with the PDK ?
WOW... Have u noticed many problems with other cars u have owned.. or is it just Porsche?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
In my case and since I've had many problems with my past cars, my dealer change my water pump on a preventive basis. Still I had to provide documentation of the problem for them to be able to recognize that there was a problem with it and that Porsche had changed the pump design

I picked my car from service last night after the water pump change and this morning I noticed a vacuum cleaner type of sound when accelerating and seeing some boost indication. This is not normal so my dealer is picking up the car later today to check what could be the problem. Turbo related ?

I really like Porsche but I've had a lot of problems with my cards. Fortunately for me, my local dealer recognizes that I have been very unlucky with them and they really try to help me with my requests.
What documentation did u provide??
Old 07-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Originally Posted by *991*
WOW... Have u noticed many problems with other cars u have owned.. or is it just Porsche?
I've owned several different brands of cars during the last 15 years and with none of them I had the problems I've been facing with the 991's. 3 Volkswagens, 4 Audi's, 2 Volvo's, 2 Land Rovers and with none of them I had problems. I did own a 981 Boxster S that was also a very nice car and never had a problem

My wife is on her third Cayenne and until know, no problems with the exception that our previous one that was an E-Hybrid did have some problems with the battery and a couple of other things and also the performance of the car was terrible..... my wife didn't like it and change it very soon for the newest model.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Originally Posted by *991*
What documentation did u provide??
It wasn't official information since I haven't been able to find any recalls from Porsche related to the water pump, but I went through every single forum that I could find and printed all the cases where owners were reporting issues with their pumps. I went back to my local dealer (i'm not from the US) with all this information and they did recognize after a while that they have seen some water pumps failing and they offered to change mine. The guy in charge of the workshop explained to me that he has a certain amount of cases were he can make a warranty apply without having to go back to Porsche and he was going to use that with my car.

I guess that with all the problems I've had with my 991's and the patience and loyalty that I have showed to them, they are more open to fix any problem that I might have. Anyway, it is important to understand that my dealer will never openly recognize a problem with the cars but if you are prepared with a ton of information, the guys will finally recognize it and repair the car. The same thing I did with my Windshield. They denied the problem at first but then they ended up installing a completely new one.

The other things that helps is that every time I take the car for a problem, we talk for a long time, have some coffee, make a couple of jokes and never get angry at them. With time, with some of them we have build a very good relationship and that obviously helps.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:16 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

Wasn't sure I saw this one listed.

On our way back from buying our new to us '17 CPO 991.2 last month, on the NJ turnpike, I accelerated lightly in 7th and got a "driving fault, consult a workshop" message and check engine light. That stayed on for three or four days, then went out.

A few days later driving home on the freeway, exact same conditions, same fault.

Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the 9A2-110-095-01 AS TANK VENTILATION under warranty. I was ok since they gave me a new Macan to get to work and back, but it took the best part of the day. I looked the part up, apparently it's a bit over $200 at Pelican:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info2/9A211009501.htm

Otherwise no issues I know of in the car, at least since I bought it.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 PM
mmmm
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is the license plate mounting from please. Been driving without a front plate for 2 years… its only a matter of time till I get stoped
Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mmmm
Where is the license plate mounting from please. Been driving without a front plate for 2 years… its only a matter of time till I get stoped
Its a kit the dealer would have provided when the car was delivered.
Thus you could either 1) find it, 2) buy one from the dealer, or 3) try an aftermarket kit for an alternate mounting location.

search on this site for several of those options.

Quick Reply: 991.2 problems