991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019 | 10:05 PM
ZerOG
Racer

2017 991.2 S here with 50,000 km and still nothing wrong. J drive the pants off it, take it to the track and basically follow the maintenance schedule. I love it so much that I chose to sell my 992 build slot and renew the warranty for another two years.
Old 09-01-2019 | 11:53 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Originally Posted by DBH
Center console lid has very weak spring. Poor design on Porsche's part. Let us know if the dealer has a fix.
Coolant cap is very tight. You really need to give it a firm twist.
I know. Shop foreman & I compared mine to a lot car & while still weak, the lot car CC lid stayed up, most of the time & mine did not. He said he was willing to replace the spring.
I wish it worked like the center console on the Macan where you lift & it locks onto place, fully open. It is annoying when I take my phone out of my pocket & try to put phone in the signal boost tray, with one hand, while driving.

I wrapped the coolant cap with a doubled up old sock (thick) Then I used a big Tongue and Groove Pliers. I protected the paint with towels. I cranked on it & could not budge it!
Was @ the dealer, waiting for work on different car & had salesman let me try the coolant cap on another 2019 911. It came off easy, just like any coolant cap. A bit of force but, not difficult.
Something is wrong with my cap or the coolant tank threads or both.
Old 09-02-2019 | 10:27 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

In addition to the problem with the fuel tank I already mentioned last year, on Thursday last week when returning from Barcelona the air conditioning stopped working when I was still two hours away from home — it was sunny and 32°C (90°F), and the cloth top of the .2 GTS cabriolet doesn’t provide the best isolation. I could hear the fan spinning fast but there was no cold air coming through any vent. Upon arrival home I passed by the Porsche Center where they reprogrammed the compressor and the flow management system and all went back to normal.

Second glitch in one year and a half, but boy how I love this car (the Macan GTS too, but for different duty).
Old 09-05-2019 | 02:13 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

I never heard of an A/C not blowing cold air & the fix was to reprogram the system & all was well!
Typically, either the compressor stops turning, due to a belt or the compressor itself fails or more commonly, there is a leak somewhere & the refrigerant leaks out.
Many other things can cause A/C to not blow cold.
Old 09-05-2019 | 07:53 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

I am now at 22K miles and no issues at all. It seems like this one came together perfectly.
Old 09-07-2019 | 08:18 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

My '17 991.2 is running well, overall.

Only recent issue is a sticky button on the PCM. The "home" key at the lower right in the group of buttons is becoming harder and harder to operate. It works eventually, but the physical travel in and out is reduced, compared to all the rest of the keys.

Car is new to me since June; so I don't know what the PO might or might not have spilled. I don't drink anything in the car. I recall my '14 981CS button operation was not fantastic, they worked , just wasn't super 'clicky'.

Any DIY solutions you guys have found? I am tempted to think of maybe spraying some contact cleaner and/or canned air in between the cracks but I'm not crazy about that. I could take a toothbrush and some mild Dawn solution followed by a MF towel, but not excited about that either, really.

Thoughts?

Old 09-07-2019 | 08:30 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Definitely have some sort of dried liquid in there. A very very very mild/diluted degreaser will work with the method you mentioned.
Old 09-07-2019 | 11:28 PM
kuma1416
Racer

2017 C4S, approaching 20K mi. When accelerating hard from a standstill, I hear a low grinding or coarse vibration sound (hard to tell which) from the rear. Not all the time, but more common just after straightening out from a turn or up a hill. It's better if I'm easy on the gas. Wonder if it's just the transmission going through the lower gears. Hope it's not imminent PDK failure. Other issue (so far) was a very fine wispy vibration from near the drivers side dash, usually starting after going over a bumpy road . If I put my finger on the gauge second from the right, it goes away! So I guess a loose gauge cover. Disappointing on a 100K+ car, but not worth driving 4hr to the dealer for. I'm still really enjoying the car, but I can't help but feeling like the 911 is a delicate beauty that perhaps is not meant for hard driving on bad roads.
Old 09-07-2019 | 11:36 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins

Only recent issue is a sticky button on the PCM. The "home" key at the lower right in the group of buttons is becoming harder and harder to operate. It works eventually, but the physical travel in and out is reduced, compared to all the rest of the keys.

Car is new to me since June; so I don't know what the PO might or might not have spilled. I don't drink anything in the car. I recall my '14 981CS button operation was not fantastic, they worked , just wasn't super 'clicky'.

Any DIY solutions you guys have found? I am tempted to think of maybe spraying some contact cleaner and/or canned air in between the cracks but I'm not crazy about that. I could take a toothbrush and some mild Dawn solution followed by a MF towel, but not excited about that either, really.

Thoughts?
Pop the ***** off and clean them. I used a trim removal tool with a sunglass cleaning cloth wrapped around it and with a little force it pops right off.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019 | 08:14 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Pop the ***** off and clean them. I used a trim removal tool with a sunglass cleaning cloth wrapped around it and with a little force it pops right off.
Thanks Bob; just to confirm though, this is not the two ***** I'm talking about, it is the HOME button, lower right.

I have a trim install tool that came with my Roav Dash Cams I can probably use if they do pop off. That'd be excellent. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-08-2019 | 09:07 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bob; just to confirm though, this is not the two ***** I'm talking about, it is the HOME button, lower right.

I have a trim install tool that came with my Roav Dash Cams I can probably use if they do pop off. That'd be excellent. Thanks for the tip.
There’s also a trim removal tool in the frunk in the driver’s side tool box in the frunk. It’s there to assist with emergency operation of the PDK gear lever.
Old 09-08-2019 | 09:54 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

My bad...I should not read threads so late at night with a cocktail near by.
Old 09-08-2019 | 07:28 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Thoughts?
If you still have some warranty remaining, let Porsche deal with this issue.
If no warranty, try to find more info b4 you attempt to DIY. Such as this (but, for the 991)
https://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-dis...er-cayman.html
You don't want to make it worse

Another option would be a high end car audio shop.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (09-08-2019)
Old 09-11-2019 | 08:49 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Only recent issue is a sticky button on the PCM. The "home" key ...
Just to circle back on this, the past few days I've been exercising the HOME button. I attach the phone to start Waze, then go to Tuner or whatever and back to home several times. The button seems to be getting better, as today it was operating more or less like all the other buttons. I guess regular exercising of the mechanical action seems to have worked out whatever gunk is in there; at least for the moment.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I appreciate it, but for now I think I'm good to go.

Driving my 911 base model puts a huge smile on my face every day. Dear Lord I should have bought one of these 25 years ago.
Old 09-25-2019 | 08:23 PM
SDPorschelover
AutoX

Very helpful. Any suggestions on what I should have checked out on a 2016 991 before purchasing?

Quick Reply: 991.2 problems