Sponsored by:

Carrera T ordered

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 07:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by dcottam
Like some others I could not resist this car. For some reason it called out to me whereas the S, GTS and even the current GT3 and GT3RS never really did for some reason. Here is my ordered spec:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJDZQF92

I wanted to keep it simple (I know that no modern car is simple) and as close to the lightweight ethos as possible so specced PCCB and LWB but very little else. I deleted the Carrera T Graphics as I will know what I am driving and don't care if no-one else does. I went back and forth over RAS for a long time, but in the end decided it added weight and complexity and so left it out. I would have added PCM back in had it not been in US cars already.

Have had a few P-Cars over the years, including a 2008 GT3RS which I am keeping forever.
Nice build—and interesting that this car called out to you when other 991s haven't. It will be very different to your 997.1 RS, as its charms are much subtler, but that would make it more interesting to have both, in my opinion.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:37 PM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 34 Posts

2% off. This is my 7th car from this dealership.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:53 AM
russdc
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 56 Posts

3.5% off
Old 02-05-2018, 02:57 PM
dcottam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Nice build—and interesting that this car called out to you when other 991s haven't. It will be very different to your 997.1 RS, as its charms are much subtler, but that would make it more interesting to have both, in my opinion.
Thanks – I am ok with subtle charms. For one thing I have realized that the never-ending drive for increased performance is not that relevant to me personally. Although I am glad that Porsche and other companies continue to make cars like the current GT2 RS, and that there are people out there with both the means and the desire to buy them, and hopefully the skill (and courage) to drive them in a manner that at least approaches the way they should be driven, I have come to realize that I am not one of those people.
I have taken my RS to the track, but I am not a track junkie. I do occasionally drive it on the road in a way that would make my wife very unhappy should she know about it. Do I drive it as rapidly as it will go? I do not – and given that why would I need (want) anything that was more capable?
I realize that the 997.2 RS, the RS 4.0 and the current GT3 and GT3 RS are “better” cars than my 997.1 RS, but my car is already more capable than I am and those newer cars are not “better” for me.
What I am hoping for with the Carrera T is to drive it regularly and connect with it, in a similar (but different) way to that in which I connected with the RS. With the T I think I might have been sucked in by Porsche’s marketing department, but the rationale of a car that is a bit simpler and a bit more focused appeals greatly, hence my spec of LWB, PCCB and very little else. To me it feels at least a little bit special, in the way that the other Carrera models do not (great cars though they are). The GT cars are certainly special, but I already have something that is perfect for me in the 997.1 RS. That car called out to me from the moment it was announced, although it took a little while for me to buy one. After following one in France on the way back to the UK from Le Mans in 2009 I just had to pull the trigger. It is a special and exiting thing, even to drive slowly.
I bought a Jaguar F-Type V6S Coupe (manual transmission) a while ago. It is a great car – but I never connected with it for some reason. I am hoping that the Carrera T will make up for that.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dcottam
Thanks – I am ok with subtle charms. For one thing I have realized that the never-ending drive for increased performance is not that relevant to me personally. Although I am glad that Porsche and other companies continue to make cars like the current GT2 RS, and that there are people out there with both the means and the desire to buy them, and hopefully the skill (and courage) to drive them in a manner that at least approaches the way they should be driven, I have come to realize that I am not one of those people.
I have taken my RS to the track, but I am not a track junkie. I do occasionally drive it on the road in a way that would make my wife very unhappy should she know about it. Do I drive it as rapidly as it will go? I do not – and given that why would I need (want) anything that was more capable?
I realize that the 997.2 RS, the RS 4.0 and the current GT3 and GT3 RS are “better” cars than my 997.1 RS, but my car is already more capable than I am and those newer cars are not “better” for me.
What I am hoping for with the Carrera T is to drive it regularly and connect with it, in a similar (but different) way to that in which I connected with the RS. With the T I think I might have been sucked in by Porsche’s marketing department, but the rationale of a car that is a bit simpler and a bit more focused appeals greatly, hence my spec of LWB, PCCB and very little else. To me it feels at least a little bit special, in the way that the other Carrera models do not (great cars though they are). The GT cars are certainly special, but I already have something that is perfect for me in the 997.1 RS. That car called out to me from the moment it was announced, although it took a little while for me to buy one. After following one in France on the way back to the UK from Le Mans in 2009 I just had to pull the trigger. It is a special and exiting thing, even to drive slowly.
I bought a Jaguar F-Type V6S Coupe (manual transmission) a while ago. It is a great car – but I never connected with it for some reason. I am hoping that the Carrera T will make up for that.
The car I had the most 'fun' driving on the street was my 1991 Mazda Miata. Grossly underpowered but so much fun to drive as fast as possible around corners. The 911T will be my first 911 and I can't really comment on the GTS or GT series but I really like the idea of a 911 with 'only' 370hp and some great handling options. My kind of fun. Steve
Old 02-06-2018, 05:38 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 47 Posts

Has anyone asked about getting Paint To Sample? I know it's not in the configurator and my sales rep says no, but I wish it were an option since I don't really love any of the color options.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by racemor
Has anyone asked about getting Paint To Sample? I know it's not in the configurator and my sales rep says no, but I wish it were an option since I don't really love any of the color options.
I asked. PCNA told my dealer no PTS for the 911T, currently.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarawnty
The car I had the most 'fun' driving on the street was my 1991 Mazda Miata. Grossly underpowered but so much fun to drive as fast as possible around corners. The 911T will be my first 911 and I can't really comment on the GTS or GT series but I really like the idea of a 911 with 'only' 370hp and some great handling options. My kind of fun. Steve
Are you buying from Oakville?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

New interested 911 party here.

As I wait impatiently for my (400hp) TT RS to be released from Port (another story), I find myself contemplating bailing on that, and I am browsing the Pre-owned 911's. I've my eye on a CPO 911 Carrera S Cabriolet for around $109k... Or something in the $90k-$100k range. My thoughts is to avoid the instant drive-off-the-lot depreciation hit.

But then I see the 911 T.

From casual conversation it seems that folks always state "If you're going '911', get the 'S' ". And I wonder "Where do we think the 911 'T' will end up in history?". 'Fad'? 'Retro'? Or 'Classic'? (Not expecting value appreciation here. And I understand it is lighter on the horsepower spectrum.)

My reasons for looking any 911 is for the timeless design, legacy... and I would plan to keep this car for a long time. With the Carrera and S models, R, GTS, GT2, GT3, etc models, I suspect that a 911 will always be respected no matter the last letter(s).

Do we think this 'T' will be another Timeless 911? Or will the more identifiable 'S', 'GTS', etc hold their value better?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:00 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

As I wait impatiently for my (400hp) TT RS to be released from Port (another story), I find myself contemplating bailing on that, and I am browsing the Pre-owned 911's. I've my eye on a CPO 911 Carrera S Cabriolet for around $109k... Or something in the $90k-$100k range. My thoughts is to avoid the instant drive-off-the-lot depreciation hit.

From casual conversation it seems that folks always state "If you're going '911', get the 'S' ". And I wonder "Where do we think the 911 'T' will end up in history?". 'Fad'? 'Retro'? Or 'Classic'? (Not expecting value appreciation here. And I understand it is lighter on the horsepower spectrum.)

My reasons for looking any 911 is for the timeless design, legacy... and I would plan to keep this car for a long time. With the Carrera and S models, R, GTS, GT2, GT3, etc models, I suspect that a 911 will always be respected no matter the last letter(s).

Do we think this 'T' will be another Timeless 911? Or will the more identifiable 'S', 'GTS', etc hold their value better?
IMO just get the car that speaks to you, whether a C2, C2S, T, GT3, Turbo, etc.... Many on here worry about value, but life is too short and these are depreciating assets. These cars are just meant to be driven and enjoyed, they are not investments. I always just assume all my cars will depreciate continually the moment they are driven off the lot. If you are fortunate enough to own and drive any 911 variant, I would consider you a lucky man!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
Are you buying from Oakville?
Pfaff. Same with our Macan. Steve
Old 02-07-2018, 09:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

911 Carrera T > Audi TT. Of any kind. One is the latest in a line of legends, the other's lineage is tied to the Golf.

As for T vs S vs base vs GTS...there is no bad choice. The T is a very desirable package given its grouping of driver-oriented options and equipment. While its marketing focuses on weight savings that are infinitesimal, I suspect the T, GTS, and GT3 variants will be the 991.2s that are "cooler" for those who care about that kind of thing.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong in a 991.2...
Old 02-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,282 Likes on 473 Posts

As for T vs S vs base vs GTS...there is no bad choice. The T is a very desirable package given its grouping of driver-oriented options and equipment. While its marketing focuses on weight savings that are infinitesimal, I suspect the T, GTS, and GT3 variants will be the 991.2s that are "cooler" for those who care about that kind of thing...
Am hoping you're right there, Pete.

Although am not expecting my incoming T to be anywhere near a GT3 in terms of value retention!

But I am more likely to be able to exploit most of the potential from a 'humble' T compared to a GTS, Turbo, Turbo S, GT3 etc...
Old 02-08-2018, 04:41 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 129 Posts

911 Carrera T > Audi TT. Of any kind. One is the latest in a line of legends, the other's lineage is tied to the Golf.

As for T vs S vs base vs GTS...there is no bad choice. The T is a very desirable package given its grouping of driver-oriented options and equipment. While its marketing focuses on weight savings that are infinitesimal, I suspect the T, GTS, and GT3 variants will be the 991.2s that are "cooler" for those who care about that kind of thing.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong in a 991.2...
Originally Posted by Wing Commander

Am hoping you're right there, Pete.

Although am not expecting my incoming T to be anywhere near a GT3 in terms of value retention!

But I am more likely to be able to exploit most of the potential from a 'humble' T compared to a GTS, Turbo, Turbo S, GT3 etc...
I agree with both. I had been on the fence about getting a 911 until I saw the T. I feel like it is a little bit more special, and if nothing else, at least most likely you won't see another one parked next to yours...

Already one month since I put down my deposit, and almost 3 more months to go before delivery. It is going to be a long and painful wait!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,282 Likes on 473 Posts

That's a cool avatar.

My CP08 date is 20th March, so am hoping for UK delivery in early April.

What spec did you go for, Alex?

Quick Reply: Carrera T ordered