Sponsored by:

Michelin 4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts
Default Michelin 4S

I am not a fan of the PZero's on my car. I have never been a fan of the Zero's so nothing new and no disrespect to those that are admirers just a personal preference.

I was on Tire Rack because I will flip them in the Spring to the Michelin 4S. Tire Rack has 2 4S tires listed with one having a Porsche certification NO rating. Does any one know if the difference is the $60 more per tire Porsche value added " We said its good therefore it costs more" or if there is any significant structural or material difference?

Any help appreciated.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:25 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For some reason the specs for the Michelin N0 aren't showing up, but on the Pirellis, the N0 tire is .3" wider in tread width and section width, 1/32" more tread depth, and .1" taller diameter than the non-N0.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I have been searching and even called Tire Rack and they did not know of any differences. I'm sure by the Spring i'll find out or maybe it is just a $60 difference.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

FWIW when I ordered my PS4S from tire rack, I searched by my specific vehicle, it showed the tires for my car, I bought them, but when I received them none had the N0 rating. Not sure whats up with that. I attended a Michelin presentation for the new PS4S, and when they talked about the N0 rating, the biggest difference between tires rated for other manufactures like Ferrari and Lambo, is the rubber compounds across the face of the tire and other internal tire components which mostly impact the tires wear and the overall life of the tire, as well as MPG. One key point they made was that once you change your suspension geometry, those ratings go out the window because manufactures spec'd those tires on OEM suspensions. Regardless, the PS4S tires I have now grip so much better than my N Spec PZERO's ever did.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:42 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

One is made in France and one is made in Germany. Same specs.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
One is made in France and one is made in Germany. Same specs.
Is that for real or joking?
Old 11-08-2017, 03:11 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Is that for real or joking?
Forreal. Click to compare and scroll to the bottom. There is no quantifiable difference other than the country or origin. Could be cost of labor, tariffs or any other speculative differences... but the specs will not be any different in any way.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:13 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Also - quality and performance difference is also highly speculative but some will say the german tires are better... why? insert some opinions on german engineering or some other column fodder... Made with the same material on the same equipment to the same specs. Also - I've toured both facilities.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:14 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 387 Posts

The 4s with the N0 rating is new. I did not see them listed at TR before. It is probably the same tire without the N0 certification. The N0 certification makes them Porsche-approved tires so the added cost. My guess. I doubt they are built differently.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Forreal. Click to compare and scroll to the bottom. There is no quantifiable difference other than the country or origin. Could be cost of labor, tariffs or any other speculative differences... but the specs will not be any different in any way.

Nice pick up. I missed that. Slight weight difference on the 305's. I am told that Porsche specifies certain belt types and compounds for max performance so that may be the difference. If tracking that would be the right choice if not go with original.
The Germans get more beer breaks so the cost is understandably higher. Schnitzel does not come cheap.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1 pound weight difference.. Dat German engineering at its finest*sarcasm*
Old 11-08-2017, 06:46 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
... I attended a Michelin presentation for the new PS4S, and when they talked about the N0 rating, the biggest difference between tires rated for other manufactures like Ferrari and Lambo, is the rubber compounds across the face of the tire and other internal tire components which mostly impact the tires wear and the overall life of the tire, as well as MPG. One key point they made was that once you change your suspension geometry, those ratings go out the window because manufactures spec'd those tires on OEM suspensions. Regardless, the PS4S tires I have now grip so much better than my N Spec PZERO's ever did.
this...

at the presentation I attended the Michelin rep said they worked very closely with Porsche to design the tire to Porsche specs - compounds, tread design, where the compounds are specifically located on the tread, and optimized for rear engine weight ....
Old 11-08-2017, 06:52 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 387 Posts

I am looking forward to dumping my P zeros for the Michelins next spring. Even though I have only have 2500 miles on the Pirellis, I don’t like them at all. Too frickin noisy. Just that alone is worth spending another 1500 bucks.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:11 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Code
FWIW when I ordered my PS4S from tire rack, I searched by my specific vehicle, it showed the tires for my car, I bought them, but when I received them none had the N0 rating. Not sure whats up with that. I attended a Michelin presentation for the new PS4S, and when they talked about the N0 rating, the biggest difference between tires rated for other manufactures like Ferrari and Lambo, is the rubber compounds across the face of the tire and other internal tire components which mostly impact the tires wear and the overall life of the tire, as well as MPG. One key point they made was that once you change your suspension geometry, those ratings go out the window because manufactures spec'd those tires on OEM suspensions. Regardless, the PS4S tires I have now grip so much better than my N Spec PZERO's ever did.
Originally Posted by mikeearly
this...

at the presentation I attended the Michelin rep said they worked very closely with Porsche to design the tire to Porsche specs - compounds, tread design, where the compounds are specifically located on the tread, and optimized for rear engine weight ....
Snake oil.

So did they design it for base, PASM or SPASM with that in mind? Or for the coupe, Cab, Targa, 2wd or AWD in any combination.... cause all weigh different amounts and will have the same effect as properly modified suspension.

If you slam the car and have ridiculous camber like the Vdub kids then no tire is going to be "efficient" in terms of wear.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I switched from factory PZero N1 to MPS4s (not N rated) on my 991.2 C2. Comments:

- Noise on the highway is about the same.

- Grip seems about the same on the backroads.

- Midcorner understeer is about the same.

- Steering response is much improved with the Michelin. The car responses noticeably more quickly to steering input.

- Handling and recovery at the limit and over seems good and natural.

Next time I may try a larger 255 front, to try to reduce the understeer a bit.

Quick Reply: Michelin 4S