Sponsored by:

Michelin 4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:18 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by asia
I switched from factory PZero N1 to MPS4s (not N rated) on my 991.2 C2. Comments:

- Noise on the highway is about the same.

- Grip seems about the same on the backroads.

- Midcorner understeer is about the same.

- Steering response is much improved with the Michelin. The car responses noticeably more quickly to steering input.

- Handling and recovery at the limit and over seems good and natural.

Next time I may try a larger 255 front, to try to reduce the understeer a bit.
I'm really shocked that the noise wasn't reduced substantially.... but you have a #2 car and I think the P's changed a little since the #1.

I went to Michelin on my daily and even with run flats it made a world of difference over the Pirelli. Not even in the same ballpark on noise or handling.

Likely Santa's bringing me some new P4S....
Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The N0 is now listed for sale on tirerack. They're 70 bucks a pop more than the traditional-non N0.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rrera+4S+Coupe

They are on back order. I called my local discount tire and they don't even have them on the system yet. He took down my number and will call me back with more info after he calls Michelin directly to see if they have any available.

Will they be worth an extra $280+tax for the set?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 315 Posts

I got'em - MPS4s. My GTS just came off the transporter at the dealer. I went to look at it and was pleasantly surprised to see the Michelins on the car. Didn't notice if NO or not. I assume they are. Won't be taking delivery for a couple more days.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:14 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
I got'em - MPS4s. My GTS just came off the transporter at the dealer. I went to look at it and was pleasantly surprised to see the Michelins on the car. Didn't notice if NO or not. I assume they are. Won't be taking delivery for a couple more days.
That’s awesome. So it is officially approved by Porsche. Great!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I'm really shocked that the noise wasn't reduced substantially.... but you have a #2 car and I think the P's changed a little since the #1.

I went to Michelin on my daily and even with run flats it made a world of difference over the Pirelli. Not even in the same ballpark on noise or handling.

Likely Santa's bringing me some new P4S....
I have a 18 C4S and the damn P zeros are as noisy as they were with the previous version in my 13 Boxster S.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
The N0 is now listed for sale on tirerack. They're 70 bucks a pop more than the traditional-non N0.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rrera+4S+Coupe

They are on back order. I called my local discount tire and they don't even have them on the system yet. He took down my number and will call me back with more info after he calls Michelin directly to see if they have any available.

Will they be worth an extra $280+tax for the set?
Discount called me back and said the guys at Michelin headquarters said they don't make this tire in N0 for the Porsche. He brought up to the guys that tirerack has them up. He then told me that the Michelin guy said tirerack is only doing this to make sales off the Porsche guys.

Buncha he said, she said
Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Discount called me back and said the guys at Michelin headquarters said they don't make this tire in N0 for the Porsche. He brought up to the guys that tirerack has them up. He then told me that the Michelin guy said tirerack is only doing this to make sales off the Porsche guys.

Buncha he said, she said
That sounds more fishy that he $70 premium for the NO version. If they don’t have availability then how are you they making any money off of the Porsche guys.?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:54 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 4S tires from tire rack last spring, at that time they did not have the N0 tires. The 4S have a better wear rating and a are a heck of lot quieter than the P0s. For me the tires handle fine, I'll probably never find the limit of these tires on the street anyways. I would assume the N0 are made differently than the non N0s.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:50 PM
allfour
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My PZeros N1 came on car in April 2017. Yesterday i was at 11,738 miles on my favorite back road, and got the numbers you see in pic (55 degrees). I think these tires are remarkably grippy. As for road noise, the engine drone between 2000 and 2800 rpm is far louder than the tires. Get up to 80mph and then coast, my tires make little noise unless I’m on a concrete slap - then horrendous (like every other car/tire I’ve experienced). I’d like to see some of the posts clarifying what surface they are on. Also dB results?
Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by allfour
My PZeros N1 came on car in April 2017. Yesterday i was at 11,738 miles on my favorite back road, and got the numbers you see in pic (55 degrees). I think these tires are remarkably grippy. As for road noise, the engine drone between 2000 and 2800 rpm is far louder than the tires. Get up to 80mph and then coast, my tires make little noise unless I’m on a concrete slap - then horrendous (like every other car/tire I’ve experienced). I’d like to see some of the posts clarifying what surface they are on. Also dB results?
MPS4s on my car no less noise than OEM PZero N1, both measure about 78 dB(A) at 70mph on a concrete highway. On rubberized asphalt both about 72 dB(A).
Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

I don't get the Pirelli hate around here, either. While I generally prefer Michelins, these PZero Ns aren't bad tires—and Porsche engineers have told me they can match the old Pilot Sport Cups on track in the dry (for one lap, anyway), so they are grippy.

There have been some other good N-spec tires, notably the Bridgestones used on 987.2 Boxster Spyder and 997.2 Turbo. Dunlop from the 996.2 era were quite good, as well. And some not great ones, like the Continentals from the 996 era. Man, were those squealers...

We are also seriously spoiled by today's tires. Got 13,000 miles out of the rear MPSC2s on my GT4, with plenty of hard use and two (short) days at the track—and I suspect the PZero and 4S will easily outdo that.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

No hate, just less love.
I do find them noisier than the Michelins.
Michelin both front and rear have a protective band to help protect the rims, PZero's only on the front, who knows why.
I feel the Michelins are better in the wet weather.
Again just personal preference.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:14 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Buncha he said, she said
Back a few posts ago DBH said that the Pilot 4S tires came on his new GTS straight from the factory. Porsche only sells cars with N rated tires so that's pretty conclusive they exist.

Tire Rack is nothing but straight-up honest about their products, so I see no reason to doubt they have them incoming. Discount Tire is just a commodity tire place that I wouldn't expect to know the differences.

Last edited by StormRune; 11-09-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:16 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a set from America's tire for a Benz. Were in stock. Costco was back ordered.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:05 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Back a few posts ago DBH said that the Pilot 4S tires came on his new GTS straight from the factory. Porsche only sells cars with N rated tires so that's pretty conclusive they exist.
No question, they exist. They are on my car as delivered from the factory. It could be that Michelin NA doesn't have them yet. Tire Rack has them on backorder with no idea when they will be coming in.

Quick Reply: Michelin 4S