AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.1 can’t have Apple CarPlay. Period.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:10 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
I had some of the best driving experiences of my life obliterating a rental Huracan because the sound was so intoxicating.

Faster Mclarens I've driven were nowhere near as exhilarating.

As for the .2, the first 4 seconds of this clip NAILS IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiItnQaLIug
Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I had this exact setup on my 991.2 C2S before I traded and got the 991.2 GTS.

Its no where near as loud as that video would suggest. Its rowdy for sure, but that video is not an accurate portrayal of what it sounds like at all.
the video is in a loud tin and concrete enclosed area and likely has headers also.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:18 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by mb1
Disclaimer: I €™ve previously owned two NA 911 €™s and I now own a 991.2. I admit that a NA engine sounds better than a comparable FI, including the car I currently own.
Here €™s what I don €™t get:
Approximately 90% of 991.1 owners purchased an S over a base because...wait for it...the S is faster than the base. Then all of the sudden, when the 991.2 is faster than a 991.1, speed/power isn €™t important anymore. Which is it? Either the faster engine is important, or it €™s not. The .1 S owners are going to respond that it €™s the other options available in the S that influenced their decision, but I €™m not buying it. It €™s the engine. I find it hard to believe (and maybe oddly coincidental) that the 991.1S is the optimal amount of quickness. Less power, (the 3.4 engine) isn €™t enough, and the 3.0T is unnecessarily fast. IMHO, in a comparable car, faster beats slower all day, every day.
I €™d like to add that I €™ve had 991.1 loaners. I think they €™re awesome cars and that I would be extremely happy with either a .1 or a .2. OK, maybe a little more with the latter.
if it’s just about faster then the #2 cars fall short due to the real turbo.... Its also blasphemy to have a turbo in a non turbo model. A little poserish to some.

also it has much to do with HOW and engine makes power. The #2 do this well but it’s just not the same. To each their own.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I was just going to comment on how well it sounds and you ruined it.

I blame the room acoustics that which likely amplified the sound.

#FakeNews
Bemo- agree on room acoustics but there are two videos of that car driving in the wild (I’ll try to post them) and it sounds pretty decent.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I had this exact setup on my 991.2 C2S before I traded and got the 991.2 GTS.

Its no where near as loud as that video would suggest. Its rowdy for sure, but that video is not an accurate portrayal of what it sounds like at all.
Well that’s disappointing! Would love to hear what your set up is and video. I’m thinking sport cats for my .2 GTS but not sure if worth it. Thanks. Mike
Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
the video is in a loud tin and concrete enclosed area and likely has headers also.
Exactly

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Bemo- agree on room acoustics but there are two videos of that car driving in the wild (I’ll try to post them) and it sounds pretty decent.
The videos outside are much closer, even though this guy just guns it onto a public road..

Old 11-01-2017, 12:58 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Well that’s disappointing! Would love to hear what your set up is and video. I’m thinking sport cats for my .2 GTS but not sure if worth it. Thanks. Mike
I did as much research as possible before purchasing the bypass pipes. There was very little information out at the time.

Personally, I didn't care for (nor did my GF) the smell from the bypass pipes as my car was a DD and I have clients in it occasionally.

The sound was pretty aggressive, but the exhaust overruns on the Sport setting get loud. If I were to do it again with a catless setup, I would probably probably purchase a full exhaust that was had a cat delete to save money and modify the final exhaust note to cut down on this. Untuned your picking up probably ~25hp, but with a tune, I wouldnt be surprised if you jump ~40hp or more.

I'm going to put some 200cell HJS cats on the GTS and probably an aggressive exhaust. SpeedTech, Bbi, etc. Meistershaft is also supposed to be releasing their catted exhaust soon and they always sound nice IMO.

The HJS HD core sizes we are seeing on the "Sport Cat" options are supposed to really only flow to about 500hp. They are also interchangeable between the Base, S & GTS models, even though the output and turbo sizes vary. I wouldn't be surprised to see a GTS specific cat option down the road as they become a restriction point for the modified GTS's.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:20 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

I own a 991.1S and like pretty much everything about the .2 better other than throttle response, sound, and the power delivery.

I currently and previously owned big HP/TQ cars and most were boosted. My GTR was putting down north of 750 whp and would blow the doors off a 991.1 or 991.2 Carrera. But after so many pulls, the power becomes normal/boring and you are chasing the next upgrade to try and regain the initial "high" you got when you first felt that sensation of being pushed in the back of your seat.

Not to mention, I only got to drive these big power cars the way they were meant to be driven maybe 3% of the time. The rest was spent driving at lower speeds around town and it was just painful... It is NOT fun to drive a fast car slow. Trust me.

I decided to stop chasing the next horsepower high and focus on what makes for a good fun driver's experience. For me, that was sound, handling, weight, enough power to get up and go but not so much that it would be unusable in normal daily driving.

That is what lead me to the 911. I did a lot of cross shopping and settled on a highly optioned .1S. I drove the .2 many times (base and S) and felt the .2 was the superior car but it had too many of the characteristics of other FI platforms that I was looking to get away from.

I have found that I personally enjoy smaller N/A cars with a great sound and free revving motor that handle like a go-kart. That's what the 991.1 is for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by phow:
Stüttgart (06-29-2019), tkchen11 (07-06-2019)
Old 11-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

IMO, only Merc has made a turbo engine that sounds REALLY good so far. That 4.0 sounds wicked.

BMW completely missed the mark on the S63 and S55 engines. The N55 and B58 single turbo sixes sound better. The double turbo manifold is good for response, but bad for sound. Even the McLarens sound pretty muted except for the LT.

I like the way the #2 cars sound. But they are very quiet in stock form, even with PSE. I’m not at all impressed with the GT2 so I am a bit worried about the sound of the 992 as well. But it SHOULD Be able to be done. To me, the PSE in the #2 Car focuses too much on the pops and burbles (as does the #1 Car to a certain extent). I can’t wait until that trend dies, honestly. Jaguar did us all a disservice with the F Type R. I think for the 992, that Porsche needs to re-engineer the PSE thoroughly. It’s just not that different than the stock exhaust. Witness the testing Nick Murray did.

I like the way that Porsche has tuned the Turbos in the car, though.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
With all due respect to my .1 brothers from different mothers- the only argument you've got is the exhaust sound- and a subjective argument at that. Is this maybe a bit of jealousy for the extra power in the .2? For the fact that a base .2 will run with, if not ahead of a .1S or even a .1GTS? Are you jealous that we have the option of running to 7k rpm, and if we want, we can shift at 3k and still feel a push in the back? Are you pis**d that we can put in 7th gear at 50 mph and forget about shifting if we so desire? How about our better brakes, refined steering, updated tech, lower emissions and improved fuel economy? Does it really annoy you that some folks spending $100k+ for a car may actually want it a little quieter, or that some of us who don't care to disturb our neighbors with a very noisy car? Despite the turbo, you can really connect with a .2.

I get it, I get, the .1 sounds better. Ok- YOU WIN. Full disclosure, I also own a real DYSON too! It doesn't sound like my 911.

EDIT- Oh- and the .2 doesn't have that dorky base (sad) steering wheel.
Huh? Your post is a non sequitur.

<<<<---- That's my current car.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:41 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
IMO, only Merc has made a turbo engine that sounds REALLY good so far. That 4.0 sounds wicked.
+1

The AMG GTS sounds absolutely wicked and there isn't really a hint of turbo noise. If I didn't know better and you told me that car was NA, I wouldn't second guess it.

If Porsche can make the 992 sound like a flat 6 again, turbo or not, that will be a huge win in my book.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:46 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Huh? Your post is a non sequitur.

<<<<---- That's my current car.
Please excuse...sarcastic rant pointing out the only valid feature that might be better on the .1 (the sound). The .1 crowd can claim victory if it makes them feel better.
Nice car- looks pretty familiar!
Old 11-01-2017, 03:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Please excuse...sarcastic rant pointing out the only valid feature that might be better on the .1 (the sound). The .1 crowd can claim victory if it makes them feel better.
Nice car- looks pretty familiar!
sound
throttle response
less refined
less weight
better brakes(no #1 people on here bitching about inadequate brakes)
Old 11-02-2017, 05:06 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Was at a gas station bathroom today and heard a guy in the next stall fart into a pillow.

Got out of the stall and noticed there were no other stalls.

There was no other guy.

Panicked, I stormed out of the bathroom.

Turns out it was a 991.2 circling around the station looking for someone to race.

Phew.

Quick Reply: 991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread