991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018 | 05:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
We are two years further now, Chris has probably changed his mind by now.
Yes, I wish 'Monkey' Harris would return to .2 and review a 991.2 GTS He's been most remiss - bastard - too busy driving for Top Gear and what not
Old 04-27-2018 | 05:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by reacher
Is it weird that I like the lobster back of the 991.1 over the vertical slats of the 991.2? That's the one thing I'm not really thrilled about on the 991.2. Not a huge fan of the new grill..
Nope. Design aesthetic is 100% personal/subjective. But we know what looks bad (Pontiac Aztek anyone?), typically. Neither looks bad - just one's preference.
Old 04-27-2018 | 05:41 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by 917k
I suspect I'll be hanging on to my 991.2 for a while. They're getting rid of the 5-dials and I think I want to revel in that for some time; as well, I am reading comments about how the new 992 has a lot of Panamera about it. Judgement reserved. I'm sure it will be a killer drive. But getting OT on 991.1 vs .2
Agreed. All the Porsche models are coming together to form the unified look, similar to BMW. Not liking it.

The 5 dials with that fat tach is legendary. Love the font and precision of the needles. Even the chrono clock is superb at what it does.
Old 04-27-2018 | 06:01 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nino
I'd probably trade my .2 for a 992.2.. Definitely not the 992.1
Amen brother.

Personally I'm waiting for the 992.3 before selling my .1 just to be sure...
Old 04-27-2018 | 06:24 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by tse
Amen brother.

Personally I'm waiting for the 992.3 before selling my .1 just to be sure...
I'm afraid that won't come with a manual
Old 04-27-2018 | 06:24 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Is it weird that I like the lobster back of the 991.1 over the vertical slats of the 991.2? That's the one thing I'm not really thrilled about on the 991.2. Not a huge fan of the new grill..
Some .2 owners are so blindsided by beauty of their new Carrera they even love hideous grill LOL. I drove .2 many times (base and S) and I prefer my .1 GTS by miles probably except slightly worse ride quality. That doesn't mean .2 is not a great car it's just a preference.
Old 04-27-2018 | 06:43 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by stout
Ah, perhaps I didn't convey my point well, but it was this: Thanks to its light-pressure turbochargers, the 3.0 has a linear, NA-like powerband with far more accessible torque when driven in the same way you would drive a 3.4 or 3.8 in a 991.1—which is how I drive the 991.2 80-90% of the time. But the 3.0 also offers the option of dipping into useful torque without a downshift, something the 3.4 and 3.8 don't. Yes, there's some lag on big throttle openings at low rpm in a higher gear, but the surge that follows brings in-gear acceleration the NA engines simply can't muster. It's nice to have that option while sipping coffee on a long haul down to Los Angeles. Or, you can drop a gear or three as you might in a .1 and you're gone. It's the added dimension—two kinds of engine in one—that I dig, and that's absolutely objective. That added dimension is there in the .2, and it isn't in the .1.
I think that’s a really great explanation... and where the different way of doing it appeals to different preferences. My first car was a little Civic with a tiny 1.6L VTEC engine that produced like 6hp down low and I’ve always loved engines with the Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde personality where it’s a totally different engine at low revs and you get that character shift as it builds. The 360 is even more that way than the 9A1... produces about 12.6 torques so if you don’t rev it, it does nothing but if you go to 8500 it’s a whole different animal. But it’s totally understandable that some people are not like me and are thinking ugh why do you HAVE to rev the snot out of it to go anywhere? Why should I have to?

Last edited by Dewinator; 04-27-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2018 | 06:48 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ddolbi
Some .2 owners are so blindsided by beauty of their new Carrera they even love hideous grill LOL. I drove .2 many times (base and S) and I prefer my .1 GTS by miles probably except slightly worse ride quality. That doesn't mean .2 is not a great car it's just a preference.
Yeah, the new grill is clearly a functional change disguised as a "nod to the past" retro design change. I'm not a fan no matter how hard I try, which is one of the reasons I got my car in agate grey so the grill blends in a little more than a more contrasting color. Every time I see a 991.1 I think "that's an elegant car". I just prefer the performance and everything else of the 991.2, lol.
Old 04-27-2018 | 06:52 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I think that’s a really great explanation... and where the different way of doing it appeals to different preferences. My first car was a little Civic with a tiny 1.6L VTEC engine that produced like 6hp down low and I’ve always loved engines with the Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde personality where it’s a totally different engine at low revs and you get that character shift as it builds. The 360 is even more that way than the 9A1... produces about 12.6 torques so if you don’t rev it, it does nothing but if you go to 8500 it’s a whole different animal. But it’s totally understandable that some people are not like me and are think ugh you HAVE to rev the snot out of it to go anywhere? Why should I have to?
Hmm.. Why should I have to? Why not have a lot of power down low.. And even more up top?
Old 04-27-2018 | 06:53 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator

I think that’s a really great explanation... and where the different way of doing it appeals to different preferences. My first car was a little Civic with a tiny 1.6L VTEC engine that produced like 6hp down low and I’ve always loved engines with the Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde personality where it’s a totally different engine at low revs and you get that character shift as it builds. The 360 is even more that way than the 9A1... produces about 12.6 torques so if you don’t rev it, it does nothing but if you go to 8500 it’s a whole different animal. But it’s totally understandable that some people are not like me and are think ugh you HAVE to rev the snot out of it to go anywhere? Why should I have to?
Yep, but I actually like both approaches. Loved my 2.5-liter 986 years ago...so worth the mid-range to upper-end payoff—that intake howl at 4500~ rpm at WOT was better than anything Porsche has produced since (other than the CGT)—and the little 2.5 didn't even rev to 7000 rpm. Ditto for the 996 GT3 (the last lunge to 8300~ was addictive) and there are countless other examples, some of them even with VTEC. There's also something to be said for a really good V8, whether it's American or...Italiano! Or a V12.

Basically, I just like good engines. Fun engines. As with cars, they don't have to take any particular form. If it's good, I am in. And I think the 991.2 3.0 is vastly underrated, mainly by those who haven't spent enough time with it. I appreciated the 991.2's chassis/steering/shifter before I really started to appreciate its engine. It's a real achievement not just in power but in character. It, too, is Jekell & Hyde, just in a different way. Mellow and luxurious when you just need to get around town, and seeeeeriously quick and fun to rev out when the opportunity presents itself. Its excellence, however, is subtler—and far subtler than the 3.8 in my GT4, which almost felt crude and sophomoric when I got on it after a month in the 991.2. Not that sophomoric is a bad thing...
Old 04-27-2018 | 06:58 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Yeah, the new grill is clearly a functional change disguised as a "nod to the past" retro design change. I'm not a fan no matter how hard I try, which is one of the reasons I got my car in agate grey so the grill blends in a little more than a more contrasting color. Every time I see a 991.1 I think "that's an elegant car". I just prefer the performance and everything else of the 991.2, lol.
Yes, agate is a good choice on .2. I remember my wife and I talked about colors when we saw .2 first time and some reason we prefer lighter colors on .1 and darker colors on .2. I know new car is always faster but my gts is plenty fast and I feel .2 lost some of great quality of .1 namely sound and drama. And my butt dyno felt .2s was not faster nor powerful than my .1gts when I drive.
Old 04-27-2018 | 07:04 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Yep, but I actually like both approaches. Loved my 2.5-liter 986 years ago...so worth the mid-range to upper-end payoff—that intake howl at 4500~ rpm at WOT was better than anything Porsche has produced since (other than the CGT)—and the little 2.5 didn't even rev to 7000 rpm. Ditto for the 996 GT3 (the last lunge to 8300~ was addictive) and there are countless other examples, some of them even with VTEC. There's also something to be said for a really good V8, whether it's American or...Italiano! Or a V12.

Basically, I just like good engines. Fun engines. As with cars, they don't have to take any particular form. If it's good, I am in. And I think the 991.2 3.0 is vastly underrated, mainly by those who haven't spent enough time with it. I appreciated the 991.2's chassis/steering/shifter before I really started to appreciate its engine. It's a real achievement not just in power but in character. It, too, is Jekell & Hyde, just in a different way. Mellow and luxurious when you just need to get around town, and seeeeeriously quick and fun to rev out when the opportunity presents itself. Its excellence, however, is subtler—and far subtler than the 3.8 in my GT4, which almost felt crude and sophomoric when I got on it after a month in the 991.2. Not that sophomoric is a bad thing...
I agree, I appreciate a good, fun engine. I didn't expect to like it, so I initially ordered the Turbo S. When the allocation didn't come through in a timely fashion, I begrudgingly tried the GTS and was shocked at just how good it was. I came from a 991.1 GT3, and besides the exploding engine issue you can't really fault its fun factor. I didn't expect a "lesser" 3.0l GTS to be as fun as a naturally aspirated track-ready GT3, but after driving the GTS in a variety of conditions I feel like it has so much to offer. It's not as in your face, but the composed elegance of it is intoxicating. It's absolutely effortlessly competent. I think that's the best way to describe it. Subtler, yes, but just as exciting.
Old 04-27-2018 | 08:22 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
BTW - in the holy 4.0 in the 991.2 GT3 even, the power delivery is turbo-like IMO. Surges at 3800-4k RPM with another around 7k, it was not as linear as I expected based on the NA reputation. Also still have to downshift to find *rapid* power in even the GT3's engine when at freeway speeds, whereas in the 3.0 I just hit throttle harder and boost comes instantly with no lag
So it is turbo like if the power delivery is good. I can sense the hypocrisy that if it surge, it must me a turbo. Not linear just like a turbo also. That is the nice thing about NA, you really have to drive it unlike a turbo, is just have to press the pedal harder. All drivers can drive a fast car but not all drivers can drive fast.
Old 04-28-2018 | 09:13 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Gotta love the bench racing here. Different days, different tracks, different years (and thus different groups of cars vying for the qualitative "win" from MotorTrend). If a Lotus Evora 400 showed up at one year's M/T test, I would pick it over the GT4 and a 991.2 Carrera to boot, for instance.
After years of racing both open and closed wheel and instructing or coaching for Skip Barber both before and after the repave at Laguna Seca, I find both the weather and the track at Lagune Seca to be very consistent year around unlike some place like Barber or Mid-Ohio where I have raced on 100+ days and been there on days where it was barely above freezing.

While nothing is precise, Pobst's Lagua Seca times are about as good and accurate comparisons as we are going to get. To me, the Ring times are bit suspect . . . Heck, even Alfa Romeo was able to post a 7:39 back in 2015 in with the QV sedan. The Ring became all about marketing and $$$s so who knows here . . .
Old 04-28-2018 | 08:14 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Has anyone noticed the horn sound between the .1 and .2 are different?

Quick Reply: 991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread