Just got a 991.1 S....Comparing it my F80 M3

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:33 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mashhype
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post. I recently got a 991.1 Carrera S. Im missing the PSE button...GRR...if anyone can tell me the cheapest Porsche dealership to get it installed in SoCal it would be greatly appreciated.

So I am very critically comparing the handling of the 991.1 to my F80 M3 and I feel like my M3 is better balanced. Maybe since this is my first rear engine car it takes some getting used to? The biggest difference I notice is that the front end seems bouncy (especially on turns). Yes I realize the obvious reason. But I expected the Porsche to feel more planted than the M3. Can anyone that comes from a M3 to a 911 relate to this at all?
At low speeds the M is going to feel sharper because the weight is over the front wheels. Equals to more over-steer and more planted feeling going into turns. Something most front engine car drivers are use to..

You will quickly notice that the handling of the 911 becomes much better with speed and takes some getting use to because of the rear weight bias. The aero probably forces the front end down more at higher speed too.

Ive taken some turns with my past GTS that scared the pants off of me. No normal person would ever attempt. Thinking this car will never make it and yet it did without a screech in the tires.

What I didn't like about the car is its unpredictable limit of traction at high speed. I attribute that to the torque vectoring system which makes the car handle so well that my senses are thrown off at the limit.
The unpredictability of its limits of traction is what really scared me. As you go faster the car gets better and better and better. I never crossed the edge of adhesion at those speeds but if one ever does that outcome won't be pretty.

Im finding that the new tech gadgets like RWS and torque vectoring elevate the adhesion of traction but reduce the drivers ability. So one needs to trust in a computer rather than natural feel of the chassis movements.

That loss of control has left me not wanting a newer 911 anymore. My 997, while not as capable gave me a much better feeling of control and believe its probably the last of its kind for a drivers 911.
The newer cars are just to capable. In a bad way of course. Engineers have figured out how to circumvent the flaws that made the 911 so great.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I owned an F80 for awhile and loved it, not for it's perfection but all of its imperfections. The F80 is much harder to control imo as the rear tends to get loose very easily. This makes it fun but I was always nervous to push it since I feel like the engine overpowers the car. The low end torque is also something I wasn't crazy about in the F80 since it felt like an on/off switch. I really prefer a more linear feel. The F80 felt faster for sure, but I could never wind out the engine before I was at risk of being locked up. The 991.1 engine requires a different style of driving but overall it is more rewarding. I also did not care for how the F80 sounds like a ricer.

Although it's not really and apples to apples comparison since my 991.1 is a C4S, I would say the 911 feels much more planted all around. Even when I drove the C2S, I didn't feel like to had to worry about a squirrelly rear end that might ruin my drive.

In terms of comfort, the F80 wins all day. The iDrive is superior to anything Porsche makes, the seats are more comfortable, and the suspension is very soft in comfort mode. I could put in a long road trip with the M3 and be fine but it gets a little more uncomfortable in the 991.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:12 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
I owned an F80 for awhile and loved it, not for it's perfection but all of its imperfections. The F80 is much harder to control imo as the rear tends to get loose very easily. This makes it fun but I was always nervous to push it since I feel like the engine overpowers the car. The low end torque is also something I wasn't crazy about in the F80 since it felt like an on/off switch. I really prefer a more linear feel. The F80 felt faster for sure, but I could never wind out the engine before I was at risk of being locked up. The 991.1 engine requires a different style of driving but overall it is more rewarding. I also did not care for how the F80 sounds like a ricer.

Although it's not really and apples to apples comparison since my 991.1 is a C4S, I would say the 911 feels much more planted all around. Even when I drove the C2S, I didn't feel like to had to worry about a squirrelly rear end that might ruin my drive.

In terms of comfort, the F80 wins all day. The iDrive is superior to anything Porsche makes, the seats are more comfortable, and the suspension is very soft in comfort mode. I could put in a long road trip with the M3 and be fine but it gets a little more uncomfortable in the 991.
Outside of sound.... this post is also the very reason I went from Jag to Porsche. That being said, I think everyone needs to have a high torque, over steering car once. When they get that out of their system they will really appreciate the na masterpiece in th #1 cars.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:19 PM
eisenb11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought it from a Porsche dealer in the Northeast. Its a CPO car. The front pad had like 70-80% remaining according to the CPO checklist. So I don't think they did a brake job on it since the CPO checklist requires them to do so only if its less than 50% remaining. Or they bs'd me so they wouldn't have to incur that cost.
I bought mine new 28 months ago and I’ve had squeaky brakes since day one. Complained to 2 dealers and they both said it’s normal.

You start ignoring it (mostly) eventually
Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

I have had F80 , and prior E92
no way that any of them is more planted than a 911 S at any speed
in all honestly the 911 is in a different league for stability, balance , steering feel, brakes etc
only thing F 80 M3 has more is torque, related to FI , and being more practical for trunk storage etc.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Welcome! I made the same transition but I just think the 911 is better planted and more percise. Love, love, love M3 and all BMWs, still have one I the family.

Interesting on tire pressure. I think I am ruining 38F 44R with 20” wheels and PASM. I like the firm ride.
Be careful with that pressure if you go to the track or do some canyon carving, your tires are gonna get slippery quick.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:32 PM
mashhype
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
At low speeds the M is going to feel sharper because the weight is over the front wheels. Equals to more over-steer and more planted feeling going into turns. Something most front engine car drivers are use to..

You will quickly notice that the handling of the 911 becomes much better with speed and takes some getting use to because of the rear weight bias. The aero probably forces the front end down more at higher speed too.

Ive taken some turns with my past GTS that scared the pants off of me. No normal person would ever attempt. Thinking this car will never make it and yet it did without a screech in the tires.

What I didn't like about the car is its unpredictable limit of traction at high speed. I attribute that to the torque vectoring system which makes the car handle so well that my senses are thrown off at the limit.
The unpredictability of its limits of traction is what really scared me. As you go faster the car gets better and better and better. I never crossed the edge of adhesion at those speeds but if one ever does that outcome won't be pretty.

Im finding that the new tech gadgets like RWS and torque vectoring elevate the adhesion of traction but reduce the drivers ability. So one needs to trust in a computer rather than natural feel of the chassis movements.

That loss of control has left me not wanting a newer 911 anymore. My 997, while not as capable gave me a much better feeling of control and believe its probably the last of its kind for a drivers 911.
The newer cars are just to capable. In a bad way of course. Engineers have figured out how to circumvent the flaws that made the 911 so great.
Great response. It's like something you would read in a magazine...
Old 10-16-2017, 05:37 PM
mashhype
Track Day

Spoke to PCNA today, regarding brake squeaking. They said its normal. The person I spoke to (and these folks seemed to be really well trained) told me that they have done trainings with the engineers about this issue. Her recommendation was to apply the brakes much harder and the squeaking should go away. Something about a break in period and where a film develops on the pad / rotor from not being used. I explained that my vehicle is CPO, not new and she said its still possible for a film to develop if the vehicle was not used regularly. That seems like it could fit my issue considering it was a 1 owner with only 22k. Its a 2012.

Also, I looked over my service records for the work that was done to bring the car up to CPO standards, and they did a brake flush. Oh darn, guess I gotta go slam on the throttle and brakes repeatedly this week, oh darn .
Old 10-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Something wrong here... trolling, something is wrong with the 911 or ignorance.
Nothing is wrong. It's ok to be critical of the 911. Instantly saying he is trolling is what is wrong.

mashhype I had the same initial feeling. The front end felt light. It was kind of weird. You get used to it but I get your feelings also coming from an M3 and had similar impressions.

As my 991.2 is RWD there is not a whole lot of weight on the front and an all wheel drive version would probably feel more 'normal' to you.

With more seat time you'll get used it and you will notice it is easier to come out of turns faster but the initial turn in can feel less confidence inspiring.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Code
Be careful with that pressure if you go to the track or do some canyon carving, your tires are gonna get slippery quick.
What are recommended PSI for the street?

Porsche had my car 38f/45r off the floor...
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

So I am very critically comparing the handling of the 991.1 to my F80 M3 and I feel like my M3 is better balanced. Maybe since this is my first rear engine car it takes some getting used to? The biggest difference I notice is that the front end seems bouncy (especially on turns). Yes I realize the obvious reason. But I expected the Porsche to feel more planted than the M3. Can anyone that comes from a M3 to a 911 relate to this at all?
Congrats and welcome!

I was sort of in the same boat as you. Picked up a 991.1S after owning several front engine sports coupes in a row. It felt like having to learn how to drive fast all over again since the handling characteristics of these cars are totally different.

For the first few weeks I wasn't sure how I felt. I knew it was "better" but I didn't feel better lol...

But as I got more comfortable with the car and started to understand/appreciate what it could do, I think I would have a very hard time going back.

I really wish I would have first had a proper introduction to these cars via a trained instructor or even a trip to the Porsche Experience Center.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM
mashhype
Track Day

Originally Posted by sticky
Nothing is wrong. It's ok to be critical of the 911. Instantly saying he is trolling is what is wrong.

mashhype I had the same initial feeling. The front end felt light. It was kind of weird. You get used to it but I get your feelings also coming from an M3 and had similar impressions.

As my 991.2 is RWD there is not a whole lot of weight on the front and an all wheel drive version would probably feel more 'normal' to you.

With more seat time you'll get used it and you will notice it is easier to come out of turns faster but the initial turn in can feel less confidence inspiring.
Thanks sticky. Its reassuring to hear alot of you guys voicing my own intuitions about the transition from M3 to 911. And to be clear, no trolling here whatsoever. Just a enthusiast connecting with other enthusiasts to understand this beautiful machinery a little bit better.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 PM
mashhype
Track Day

Originally Posted by phow
Congrats and welcome!

I was sort of in the same boat as you. Picked up a 991.1S after owning several front engine sports coupes in a row. It felt like having to learn how to drive fast all over again since the handling characteristics of these cars are totally different.

For the first few weeks I wasn't sure how I felt. I knew it was "better" but I didn't feel better lol...

But as I got more comfortable with the car and started to understand/appreciate what it could do, I think I would have a very hard time going back.

I really wish I would have first had a proper introduction to these cars via a trained instructor or even a trip to the Porsche Experience Center.
I did the PEC bit out here in Los Angeles before I got the 991.1S. I wouldn't do it again. I couldn't get a feel for the cars capabilities since I was too worried about not braking in time or not accelerating when finding the apex. The instructors micro-manage you. Yes I understand they have no choice. But still, I wouldn't say it gave me a better feel for the car and all its ability.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Banned

Thanks sticky. Its reassuring to hear alot of you guys voicing my own intuitions about the transition from M3 to 911. And to be clear, no trolling here whatsoever. Just a enthusiast connecting with other enthusiasts to understand this beautiful machinery a little bit better.
I know. There's some people here who forgot how to have fun and are very sensitive.

Had the same feelings as you initially. Once you spend more time with it the balance starts to feel normal but I don't think I'll ever quite have the same feeling of confidence on initial turn it. Maybe I'll try the trail braking suggested. Probably will do AWD next time.

The best solution is to have both
Old 10-17-2017, 12:30 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
. Im finding that the new tech gadgets like RWS and torque vectoring elevate the adhesion of traction but reduce the drivers ability. So one needs to trust in a computer rather than natural feel of the chassis movements.

Rear axle steering and E-PTV provide more certainty rather than less certainty. See GT3 and GT3 RS - they add a great deal to the driving experience and reliably increase the limits, and importantly, feel at the limits e.g tire feathering. The only performance enhancement to the chassis that feels slightly un-natural to me is PDCC. However, if I was to take up serious competition again, I would spec it in a heart beat - why, because it maximises contact patch during transitions - very important in high speed transitions.

Originally Posted by sticky

My recollection of the F80 was it had quite a lot of understeer, which obviously impacts on handling feel and corner speed, backed up with very numb steering. With the 911 you have to use a bit of trail braking to put some weight over the front wheels, there is very little understeer which allows high corner speeds and very fast exits. Once you get a shimmy on the differences between the 991 and F80 are quite large.

Oh - cold tire pressures e.g. at 20 degrees celsius - 29 psi front 32 psi rear (for lightly loaded car in comfort mode).

Last edited by randr; 10-17-2017 at 12:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Just got a 991.1 S....Comparing it my F80 M3