Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
cool vid, but don't know what this has to do with cleaning and drying mf towels
wrong link Now I can't find it.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

After washing I wet the car down really well and spray Chemical Guys After Wash (used to use quick detailer) over the entire car and dry with clean waffle mf and then a thick nap microfiber. The After Wash does a great job of lubricating and creating a slick surface to dry. No water spots, beautiful shine and slick surface. Whens it dry completely I use Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray detailer.

I do wash my towels in the regular wash, I add a rinse cycle afterward and have not seen any issues with normal clothes afterward. I did though notice I have developed X-Ray vision if that means anything.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Thanks, STG!

However, I have a system that works for me. Not saying it's better or right for someone else, but maybe a nice alternate path to MF—and definitely a cheaper one that's given me great results. YMMV, of course.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
After washing I wet the car down really well and spray Chemical Guys After Wash (used to use quick detailer) over the entire car and dry with clean waffle mf and then a thick nap microfiber. The After Wash does a great job of lubricating and creating a slick surface to dry. No water spots, beautiful shine and slick surface. Whens it dry completely I use Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray detailer.

I do wash my towels in the regular wash, I add a rinse cycle afterward and have not seen any issues with normal clothes afterward. I did though notice I have developed X-Ray vision if that means anything.
Are these chemical guys after wash & blackfire wd safe for ceramic coated white paint? I am using quick detailer & liquid wax and looking for superior products.

If you have photos of your car after washing, please post them up so I can look at them. Thanks a bunch!

PF
Old 09-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have used them for years, but rarely get them out any more. I have been using Master Blaster air to blow the water off for the past four years. Nothing touches the paint surface in drying that way, so no fine-line scratches in the paint/clearcoat. Those that are drying with towels of any kind are putting those fine line scratches in the paint. The silicone wipers work well, but air blow is the best.

My detail regimen is Swissvax every 5-6 months (yes, its expensive) and air blow dry only. After four years, my car still looks like this and not a single swirl in the paint:

What type of Swissvax that you use & is your car ceramic coated? It looks great!

PF
Old 09-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Are these chemical guys after wash & blackfire wd safe for ceramic coated white paint? I am using quick detailer & liquid wax and looking for superior products.

If you have photos of your car after washing, please post them up so I can look at them. Thanks a bunch!

PF
Yes they are and they make drying the car easier and no water spots. Here is a pic after a home detail this weekend. If you have a ceramic coat you shouldn't have to do too much.
Attached Images   
Old 09-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Yes they are and they make drying the car easier and no water spots. Here is a pic after a home detail this weekend. If you have a ceramic coat you shouldn't have to do too much.
Your car looks awesome! That wet look is what I always after. Ceramic coat can only do so much.

Will be ordering the same ones that you use Thanks for sharing & photos!

PF
Old 09-19-2017, 08:00 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Ceramic coat can only do so much.

Will be ordering the same ones that you use Thanks for sharing & photos!

PF
If you think show then post half and half pics.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary JR
If you think show then post half and half pics.
Yep will do
Old 09-19-2017, 08:43 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by bmclaurin
This stuff works really really well.

https://youtu.be/ZuzmL2q3ncs
+1

I use that to wash all detailing materials in our regular washer / dryer. I run an extra rinse cycle.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Disagree on first point. If the towel doesn't move across the paint, it doesn't scratch the paint. I've gone 3+ years with zero fine line scratches (like your term) or swirls from drying—the only time they've been introduced were instances where dealers washed the cars despite instructions not to.

Agree on second point! Your car looks great.

Too many contaminants for me.

In fact, if a towel or sponge hits the ground or a non-clean surface, it goes in the trash immediately. I don't want to risk grinding grit into my paint. Ditto for wash sponges. While that practice sounds costly, it's actually another bonus to keeping drying and polishing materials to old white bath towels (so long as they're 100% cotton), and old white cotton t-shirt sections without seams, text, or tags.

This is part of why I don't like MF towels anymore. People say MF towels can't scratch paint, but they can (anything can)—and their nature means they pick up contaminants and hold onto them...especially tree/twig/grass fragments.

Funny, i throw out sponges/wash mitts that hit the driveway too. Anything that touches the car will leave fine scratches. There is a reason good detailers dry with air and not towels etc. Cotton towels will probably be the worst. I bet if you look in the reflection with a bright light you will see fine scratches...virtually impossible to hand dry without.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Funny, i throw out sponges/wash mitts that hit the driveway too. Anything that touches the car will leave fine scratches. There is a reason good detailers dry with air and not towels etc. Cotton towels will probably be the worst. I bet if you look in the reflection with a bright light you will see fine scratches...virtually impossible to hand dry without.
Nope. Come on over sometime and see for yourself. If the cotton doesn't move across the paint, it can't scratch the paint. In other words, the technique involves laying a large cotton bath towel across surfaces and then moving your hand over the towel without the towel moving on the paint.

I suggest trying the method sometime after the car has been polished properly and all swirls and light scratches have been removed. I've gone years without adding any of those fine scratches—which drive me crazy.

The only methods I can think of that will dry the car without wiping something over it are blow-drying (which is great if you are at home) or my method (which I developed because I often have to wash cars for photography in the field, and I prefer a "do no harm" approach).
Old 09-21-2017, 01:21 PM
lagodue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unbelievable! - how to dry your car: 2,267 views and 56 replies (to date) Slow news day in our Pcar lives? :-)

Yet to be mentioned is how to dry your clear coat. Does everyone wash/dry the clear coat with similar technique to the paint?
Old 09-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by lagodue
Unbelievable! - how to dry your car: 2,267 views and 56 replies (to date) Slow news day in our Pcar lives? :-)

Yet to be mentioned is how to dry your clear coat. Does everyone wash/dry the clear coat with similar technique to the paint?
Microfiber towel across Ceramic Pro. Done.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Natey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran auto detailing business up to about 15 years ago. When I started doing it, I researched a bit and bought three of these:

http://www.autogeek.net/watspritplus.html

I still have all three, and they've done nothing but get better, softer and more absorbent over the years. I couldn't recommend them more.
They don't "grab" the paint lie a natural chamois, and NO other synthetic towel comes close to soaking up the water like these do.
Microfiber towels are great for wheels, interior, glass...pretty much everything. I like these on the paint though. They're less aggressive than Microfiber. Even MF grabs the paint a little bit, which is not good. These are easier on the paint, wax, etc.

I'm not affiliated in any way with Watersprite. I'm just a happy customer.

Quick Reply: Washing and drying (MF towels)