Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing and drying (MF towels)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:41 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

I don't know about this "THE Stout" business, but my first name is Pete if that helps.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Drape mine on a tree branch.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:14 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,886 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Wimankid
Many people at classic car shows use silicone squeezes to take water off their cars - any people here use them?
I have used them for years, but rarely get them out any more. I have been using Master Blaster air to blow the water off for the past four years. Nothing touches the paint surface in drying that way, so no fine-line scratches in the paint/clearcoat. Those that are drying with towels of any kind are putting those fine line scratches in the paint. The silicone wipers work well, but air blow is the best.

My detail regimen is Swissvax every 5-6 months (yes, its expensive) and air blow dry only. After four years, my car still looks like this and not a single swirl in the paint:

Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Those that are drying with towels of any kind are putting those fine line scratches in the paint.

After four years, my car still looks like this and not a single swirl in the paint:
Disagree on first point. If the towel doesn't move across the paint, it doesn't scratch the paint. I've gone 3+ years with zero fine line scratches (like your term) or swirls from drying—the only time they've been introduced were instances where dealers washed the cars despite instructions not to.

Agree on second point! Your car looks great.

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Drape mine on a tree branch.
Too many contaminants for me.

In fact, if a towel or sponge hits the ground or a non-clean surface, it goes in the trash immediately. I don't want to risk grinding grit into my paint. Ditto for wash sponges. While that practice sounds costly, it's actually another bonus to keeping drying and polishing materials to old white bath towels (so long as they're 100% cotton), and old white cotton t-shirt sections without seams, text, or tags.

This is part of why I don't like MF towels anymore. People say MF towels can't scratch paint, but they can (anything can)—and their nature means they pick up contaminants and hold onto them...especially tree/twig/grass fragments.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:43 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
This may prove an unpopular suggestion, but I gave up on MF towels a long time ago—after hearing John Paterek agree with my gut feeling: 100% cotton > anything synthetic.

Since then, I save old plain t-shirts and cut them up for polishing (though I have learned to hire someone better than me for any real corrective work) and then use old 100% cotton white bath towels to dry painted surfaces—but do it a bit differently. Basically, nothing dry is ever rubbed across my paint. The towel is laid across a surface, and then (without the towel moving) a hand sweeps across the towel to bring up all of the drops into the towel. Usually takes one or two towels to get the car dry, but I do tend to "blow dry" it by taking it for quick run before drying it. Only downside to the practice is the wheels get a bit dirty again. Upside is NONE of those "spider web" scratches, which were driving me crazy. I wondered if I could come up with a way to dry the car without rubbing anything across the paint. Several years and several cars later, it has avoided those fine scratches to the point that you look at the sun and it's simply a yellow orb in the paint. I've seen it do that for up to three years at a time, only being violated after a dealer washed the car despite being told not to...

YMMV!

Going for a "drive to dry off" and cotton towels is soooooo 1980's-90's
Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG

What can I say?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by stout

What can I say?

Unlike the air cooled vintage, cotton towels won't cement their legacy in history
Old 09-18-2017, 10:06 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
Unlike the air cooled vintage, cotton towels won't cement their legacy in history
If the results are there, and the experience is enjoyable, that's enough for me. If it's less expensive—and less annoying, as the towels don't have to be peeled apart after they dry—then that's a bonus.

I don't understand the obsession with MF towels. I used them for years because they were "the new thing" and people said they can't scratch paint (but they can). Am glad to have put MF in the rearview. But to each their own!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I say get rid of them since they represent slavery.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
And so 60's and 70's before that

I keep a bale of Costco mf towels for windows, wax removal, or anything really dirty, and work them down the food chain until I toss them. I use a couple of my mismatched bath towels to dry the car (unless I'm fighting with my wife, then I use one from the master bath).
Old 09-18-2017, 01:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RichAA
I use a couple of my mismatched bath towels to dry the car (unless I'm fighting with my wife, then I use one from the master bath).
You just elicited my first good laugh of the day. Thank you, sir!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:10 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,008 Posts

For wheels (and lots of other stuff) I use these disposables:

DISPOSABLE WIPE DOWN TOWELS

UBER-SOFT DISPOSABLE SURFACE CARE CLOTHS
Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Delete: wrong link

Last edited by R_Rated; 09-18-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:29 PM
STG
Race Director

"The Stout" here is some great reading and products. I actually have the waffle weave towel and is awesome if wanting to remove lots of water if not using a Masterblaster on a car with a good coating.

Buying good quality microfiber towels from places like this is worth it too. There is a difference compared to some of the cheap ones.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...your-exterior/

Name:  photo800.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  514.7 KB
Old 09-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,130 Likes on 675 Posts

cool vid, but don't know what this has to do with cleaning and drying mf towels

Quick Reply: Washing and drying (MF towels)