Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing and drying (MF towels)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 02:33 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
The paint is already ceramic coated. But I still wax and polish it anyway because it shines much better than without under direct light.

PF
i would recommend to not wax a ceramic coated car. You can clog it up and lose your hydroponic (water beading) properties.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:15 AM
bmclaurin
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

This stuff works really really well.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:38 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OP: I put all the MF in the regular washing machine on sanitary cycle with Griots microfiber and foam pad cleaner and Tide free and gentle detergent. The detergent doesn't have added scent or dye. Then into the dryer, without a dryer sheet.

If you're really **** you can clean out the washing machine with Affresh on the tub clean cycle, would you have to do every so often for a frontloading machine anyways.

When regular fabrics and clothes are done separately this is never been a problem. As much as compressed air/blowers and coatings make exterior paint care easier, there's always the windows, the interior, and anything that needs unsticking or polishing so the mf needs cleaning.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 656 Posts

Or buy them in bulk at Costco for the wheels/tires and throw them away when finished. Even if they aren't "the finest MF towels hand sewn in the Andes by virgins", they seem up to the task of wheels/tires for me.
I've been using a Worx leaf blower to dry the car after rinsing with CR Spotless. Lasts just around 10 minutes at Turbo with a fully charged battery.
I have an older MB type I never plug in anymore. And no worries about fumes or oil droplets with electric. You could buy 2 Worx units for less than the cost of MB:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WG591-WORX-5...-/252108033561

And no cord to trip on or drag across something. Or get wet while using 110.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:07 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

MF's only with other MF's. Use a non dye, non scented detergent (you don't even need to use a lot), NO fabric softener or bleach, hot water, and white vinegar on the last rinse cycle. Air dry.

Simple and works every time.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:12 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

McKee's turbo dryer has done well for me...and no need for a 220V outlet either! Takes 10-12 minutes to blow the car dry. With wax or sealant it doesn't leave any water spots.

Cheers,
NF.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:29 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't tried this but it looks like what you're looking for. It's manually operated and doesn't cost much but will take some space.

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-16-2017, 05:06 PM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy costco mf and throw away after 2 or 3 usages. I don't wash my cheap mf. Come on...u gotta pay to pay is what everyone tells me.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:42 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

For me....

This - https://crspotless.com/product/dic-2...olling-system/

+

This -
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by studlee
Buy costco mf and throw away after 2 or 3 usages. I don't wash my cheap mf. Come on...u gotta pay to pay is what everyone tells me.
Originally Posted by Keadog
Or buy them in bulk at Costco for the wheels/tires and throw them away when finished. Even if they aren't "the finest MF towels hand sewn in the Andes by virgins", they seem up to the task of wheels/tires for me.
I have concluded that the simplest solution is the above. Thanks for the suggestion! I will stock more cheapo ones up and just throw them away when finished.

For the more expensive mf (for the paint work), I will keep maybe around 4-5 towels and just wash and dry them like I do now. I will try the detergent that some suggested.

I guess I do not need the wringer, washing machines, or whatever drier. These saves me up maybe around $500 or so. Imagine how many mf towels I can get with that

PF
Old 09-17-2017, 10:58 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I just have a bunch and do a seperate load of laundry when I get enough. I suppose logically it would make as much sense to throw them away but this way I don't feel bad when I just wipe like one drop of water with one and throw in the dirty pile. If I were throwing them away I would probably keep using them dirtier than I should instead of just grabbing a new one.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:32 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

This may prove an unpopular suggestion, but I gave up on MF towels a long time ago—after hearing John Paterek agree with my gut feeling: 100% cotton > anything synthetic.

Since then, I save old plain t-shirts and cut them up for polishing (though I have learned to hire someone better than me for any real corrective work) and then use old 100% cotton white bath towels to dry painted surfaces—but do it a bit differently. Basically, nothing dry is ever rubbed across my paint. The towel is laid across a surface, and then (without the towel moving) a hand sweeps across the towel to bring up all of the drops into the towel. Usually takes one or two towels to get the car dry, but I do tend to "blow dry" it by taking it for quick run before drying it. Only downside to the practice is the wheels get a bit dirty again. Upside is NONE of those "spider web" scratches, which were driving me crazy. I wondered if I could come up with a way to dry the car without rubbing anything across the paint. Several years and several cars later, it has avoided those fine scratches to the point that you look at the sun and it's simply a yellow orb in the paint. I've seen it do that for up to three years at a time, only being violated after a dealer washed the car despite being told not to...

YMMV!
Old 09-17-2017, 11:53 PM
Wimankid
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Many people at classic car shows use silicone squeezes to take water off their cars - any people here use them?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by studlee
I bought the Costco MF towels many, many, years ago. I use them once, then toss them into my front-loading washer/dryer. I wash them alone on a warm setting with an additional rinse cycle

After being washed countless times, they are soft and holding up really well.

- Mike
Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 AM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
This may prove an unpopular suggestion, but I gave up on MF towels a long time ago—after hearing John Paterek agree with my gut feeling: 100% cotton > anything synthetic.
Is this THE Stout?

- Mike

Quick Reply: Washing and drying (MF towels)