Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

^^ Great post. Sums it up nicely
Old 08-27-2017, 10:03 AM
GTsilber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I guess I don't, because the information still seems very vague, and not helpful for, say, identity theft.
Using your forum username, which appears to be your real name, one can easily connect the dots. Taking a look at your post history and then linking pictures with geo information could easily validate those findings. You gave us a lot of clues in this thread and with a few google searches and access to public data repositories it's a trivial challenge. Now people could use this information for social engineering - someone with over a $1mm of liquid assets is always a target. I would be more conscious of the types of data you share on the web, bots are crawling these forums and mapping data back to Facebook, Google, etc accounts and sometimes sold to dark and deep web customers.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:57 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

I never understand these questions on a public,enthusiast driven, forum. Any discretionary purchase must justify itself well beyond the actual cost in dollars and lost opportunity costs for other goods and services. If the emotion and desire for the item do not overwhelm the cost sacrifice the answer is no. Accountants never ever factor emotion or passion into their advice and always argue against large depreciating purchases like sports cars. Anyone who has worked to acquire capital and property has had to make such decisions.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:38 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GTsilber
Using your forum username, which appears to be your real name, one can easily connect the dots. Taking a look at your post history and then linking pictures with geo information could easily validate those findings. You gave us a lot of clues in this thread and with a few google searches and access to public data repositories it's a trivial challenge. Now people could use this information for social engineering - someone with over a $1mm of liquid assets is always a target. I would be more conscious of the types of data you share on the web, bots are crawling these forums and mapping data back to Facebook, Google, etc accounts and sometimes sold to dark and deep web customers.
So that what, they can steal his identity? Which is probably protected with identity theft protection. Give me a break. I have had all 3 of my credit agencies lock my credit so no one can open an account under my name, my wife's or my kids.

I'd be more concerned with the Uber rides to and from your home. I can't reference a study but according to our local DA there is an uptick in personal property thefts where I live that is similar to the uptick in Uber drivers out there over the last few years. People with little means driving people with more means in neighborhoods they wouldn't otherwise be seeing where the upper middle class and rich people live. AND when they are home and when they are not.

I use to take Uber all the time from my home and in the last few years I have had 3 car break ins and one car theft.....in a "safe" neighborhood. No more!

I now drive my car and pay the parking fees at the airport.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:40 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People always buy emotionally...and then justify it intellectually. A normal human process.
The following users liked this post:
sverduzco (01-02-2022)
Old 08-27-2017, 11:41 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

So what do you guys think about the sound on the #2 cars with the turbos?

One more question... would you rather a #1 car in S trim, manual, pse and sc or a #2 with pdk?
Old 08-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Now people could use this information for social engineering - someone with over a $1mm of liquid assets is always a target.
I'm pretty much not reading this thread anymore, but I found myself compelled to respond to this, since it's an example of bad risk management.

Making it known that you have X dollars does not make it easier to steal your identity. It's not useful for that. That should be obvious.

Making it known that you have X dollars could potentially make you a target, but posting anything on this forum could make you a target. That these cars cost money is not a secret. Posting a photo of your brand new 911 S on this forum, as we all do from time to time, makes it just as clear that you probably have money as actually admitting it.

Yes, I take steps to protect my identity. Credit monitoring is something anyone with significant assets should be doing anyway.

As for this thread's purpose in general - it was never my intent to ask anyone if I could afford it. The calculations a few threw out in that regard struck me as ridiculous, ignoring a few basic facts. I have the money, it's coming out of this year's surplus rather than savings from prior years, yes I can afford it.

No, I just wanted to talk about how I felt weird despite being able to afford it. Which is largely about reflexively saving money all my life, and starting off, well not poor, but lower middle class, and like many just getting by in my 20's.

Some buyers here won't be able to relate since they've always had money, or just have an order of magnitude more money than I've ever seen, but I thought some people here could relate, and would appreciate talking about it.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:03 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I'm pretty much not reading this thread anymore, but I found myself compelled to respond to this, since it's an example of bad risk management.

Making it known that you have X dollars does not make it easier to steal your identity. It's not useful for that. That should be obvious.

Making it known that you have X dollars could potentially make you a target, but posting anything on this forum could make you a target. That these cars cost money is not a secret. Posting a photo of your brand new 911 S on this forum, as we all do from time to time, makes it just as clear that you probably have money as actually admitting it.

Yes, I take steps to protect my identity. Credit monitoring is something anyone with significant assets should be doing anyway.

As for this thread's purpose in general - it was never my intent to ask anyone if I could afford it. The calculations a few threw out in that regard struck me as ridiculous, ignoring a few basic facts. I have the money, it's coming out of this year's surplus rather than savings from prior years, yes I can afford it.

No, I just wanted to talk about how I felt weird despite being able to afford it. Which is largely about reflexively saving money all my life, and starting off, well not poor, but lower middle class, and like many just getting by in my 20's.

Some buyers here won't be able to relate since they've always had money, or just have an order of magnitude more money than I've ever seen, but I thought some people here could relate, and would appreciate talking about it.

The weird feeling is a combination of empathy for the state of the world as well as having to have earned your money. So much work traded in an instant on a toy. That's how I feel
Jimmyk79 (10-14-2020)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I now drive my car and pay the parking fees at the airport.
Why don't you just walk a block down the street and call the Uber from there?
Old 08-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The weird feeling is a combination of empathy for the state of the world as well as having to have earned your money. So much work traded in an instant on a toy. That's how I feel
One thing I sometimes think about is that it would seem that the majority of the financial beneficiaries, or at least a good chunk, are the workers that produce the cars. Their middle class lifestyle depends, in part, on the fact that the company they work for makes something desirable. Having been/being a worker that made things that hopefully people wanted I'm sure they want to keep making things that people want, I want the product they make and I'm OK supporting their work. That ameliorates the weirdness for me somewhat, not entirely, but still some.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:25 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Super_K
One thing I sometimes think about is that it would seem that the majority of the financial beneficiaries, or at least a good chunk, are the workers that produce the cars. Their middle class lifestyle depends, in part, on the fact that the company they work for makes something desirable. Having been/being a worker that made things that hopefully people wanted I'm sure they want to keep making things that people want, I want the product they make and I'm OK supporting their work. That ameliorates the weirdness for me somewhat, not entirely, but still some.
There is s story about someone commenting to a corvette owner about how many mouths could have been fed with the cost of the car.... His response was similar in stating all the workers that built that car.

There is a different dynamic as well. The OP is at the end of his lifespan but when I was in the beginning of my career I set some aggressive goals and the "prize" was my first Mercedes. The Mercedes was a depreciating asset kind of purchase but because it was a goal and there were several benchmarks along the way.... the car actually made me a lot of money since I accomplished a lot in order to achieve this. We all need some sort of carrot dangling in front of us at times!
maschinetheist (10-18-2020)
Old 08-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
You scared of feeling less manly for being in the presence of feelings? It's okay, little buddy. I accept your hug offer.
Thank you. Can I post when I'm feeling blue about one of the mods I'm considering.? I'm all better now.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:35 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
A really interesting and surprisingly polarizing thread. Unless you're from (or have been conditioned to) uber-wealth, how could you not feel a twinge of weirdness, financial self-reflection, existential perspective, or reptilian excitement when plunking down 150-large for a...car? A Porsche, or any exotic conveyance, for that matter? I mean, you can spend half of that and get a spectacular, lust-worthy ride (like a sweetly-optioned Audi or BMW or Jaguar or Lexus or Infiniti). In a lot of places, $150k is getting into real estate territory. It's three-fourths of a college education. It's real dough.

Still, to me, the financial rationalization/disclosure/discussion is a little besides the point. You can either pull it off, or you can't (or aren't comfortable doing so). As many folks here have weighed in from various life stages, for some a Porsche is a ginormous early stretch-purchase, and for others it's a comfortably afforded personal trophy or reward.

Only you can judge whether you've been sane, smart, and thoughtful with your money. Beyond that, it IS a purely emotional decision. Can you or anyone justify spending $150k on a piece of fine art? On a time-share or down payment on a getaway condo? On helping out your nieces or nephews with school? On several VERY nice vacations, or travel? On rare books? On a fat donation to your alma mater? On a super-exotic timepiece? On a contribution to your favorite medical charity? On a boat? Of course you can. If you feel you can afford it, it all comes down to whatever floats your proverbial boat. Any of these are disposable-income "luxury" transactions, either for personal enjoyment, shared enjoyment, legacy-leaving, or a personal sense of doing good.

Here's my rationale: I waited and saved. I've taken care of other more important things and do my charitable part. I can pull it off. I'm over 50. I'm not getting any younger. I'm a lifelong car nut and Porschephile. I only ever owned one other P-car, a used 993 that I bought for the price of a new Camry. So for me it was kind of now or, if not never, then when I'm older, creakier, leakier, and more harrasssed by age and health issues. Pfeh!

I started out looking at CPO cars to save a few bucks. My wife would have none of it. "You've busted your *** and you've been talking and dreaming about that goddamned car for as long as we've been married, which is over a quarter century. You're getting a new one. And the one with the red brakes." God love her.

After all the dithering and hand wringing, the trade-in's been traded, the check's been written, the balance adjusted, and life goes on...albeit a little more quickly in a C2S. I'm still a little self-conscious and private about my ride. But a day doesn't go by when I don't smile and say, "Dude, you got your Porsche." And I enjoy every second sitting in it, driving it, looking at it, photographing it, and posting here about it.

If you're feeling that way, you decided smartly.
^ Really great post, and nice color choice. Graphite Blue is punctuated so well by the red brakes. Irresistible.

To the OP, not weird at all that you feel/felt the way you did—it's a lot of money on a car...in a world with greater needs and plenty of needy people. On the other hand, going too far down that road would mean no to a lot of things we humans reach for...art, music, space travel, extraordinary athletic pursuits, you name it. Those things are important, too—collectively and personally. I think it's tough to find a definitive "right answer" for everyone on this subject mainly because each of us are in different stages of their journeys, and have different rationales. I sometimes feel a bit guilty about driving around in a GT4, but I live in less house than I might and I don't spend a lot of money on some of the things others do. But that's still looking at it from a purely financial standpoint. There is another viewpoint, and that's time. And, in this season of life (new business, a little one, plus ailing parents) there is very little or no time for vacations, nights out, etc. So...the GT4 is my island. It transforms every drive into a bit of a getaway, and it's a four-wheeled reminder that hard work pays off. Sometimes, some folks need one of those. The lease is a write-off in a way that another brand wouldn't be due to my occupation and company, so the car ends up costing not THAT much more than my previous daily each money, and I'd say that makes it a superb value. In my view, anyway. As I went down the list of monthly expenses and put the GT4 lease payment into that matrix, it was the only one that prompted me to say, "Yep, good value." I've never felt that way about any other car payment or purchase, and wish I could say the same for CA real estate (even with its appreciation). But there are some things we can't change.

But that's back to finance. This is indeed an emotional thing. It's also an art thing, and a support of people who make something we enjoy for a living. Porsche may not be the romantic company it once was in our rose-colored glasses, but I've met a lot of people who design, engineer, and built these cars—and am very glad to support them and their families. I think their products present very good value for money...if one can stay away from the options! In the end, each of us has to figure out our own road in terms of how we spend our resources, be they money or time. And I can tell you, from previous seasons when I worked with youth, that a little of your time—if you have it to spend—is worth so very much more to today's youth than your money. And if you find the right way to give, it'll be good for them, for you, and for society in general.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:18 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
So that what, they can steal his identity? Which is probably protected with identity theft protection. Give me a break. I have had all 3 of my credit agencies lock my credit so no one can open an account under my name, my wife's or my kids.

I'd be more concerned with the Uber rides to and from your home.
Funny you should mention that because my Uber account was taken over by Russians last month. I started getting ride reqests notifications in Russian followed by credit card charges. Uber took care of it.

I would bet that the vast majority of Rennlisters in the 991 forum have net worths over $1 million. I guess we are all targets then?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
So what do you guys think about the sound on the #2 cars with the turbos?

One more question... would you rather a #1 car in S trim, manual, pse and sc or a #2 with pdk?

Quick Reply: Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car