Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 03:22 PM
dmtsc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This, I don't make a fortune, my wife works and everything's paid off. I have money for kids college education and don't spend crazy. I'm middle class and just wrote the $140K off to life and memories. I smile every time I get into the car, that's all the justification I need. I hope my 2 boys remember the good times were having in the Porsche!

Originally Posted by ENCT
I don't make $390,000, I don't have net worth of $3,000,000 but I smile every morning I get in my car so it works for me. Just get the car and enjoy it, so much time figuring if you can afford something?
Eric
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-18-2020)
Old 08-26-2017, 04:43 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not sure about troll, but it does appear to be the classic Rennlist 'ask a question bound to raise strong opinions and then get angry and lash out at those who post opinions that aren't exactly what I wanted to hear.
Either one. Still smells fishy. I don't usually ask a bunch of strangers what I can or can't afford. Either I know or I don't pull the trigger.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:49 PM
silberma
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throughout my working career I drove, fords, Chevy's, Toyota's, Nissan's and Honda's and saved like mad to afford retirement and college expenses because you never know what the future will bring. Fortunately, I was able to work for the same company for 42 years and retired with a pension and considerable saving. Once I retired I realized that my future was secured and started driving Infiniti's, BMW's and a Genesis. I will be ordering a new 991.2 in a few months and I will not have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach because I know it will not effect my life style and my kids don't need my money. Time to have fun because YOLO.
PS I would not recommend a Porsche to younger people whose future is not secured, it would be irresponsible.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:11 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Either one. Still smells fishy. I don't usually ask a bunch of strangers what I can or can't afford. Either I know or I don't pull the trigger.
Like the OP said, there aren't very many places you can talk about this stuff and receive relatable feedback.

A psychotherapist might not have the same car affliction. Friends probably don't. Family ditto. Track days? Lol

He has his reasons. It doesn't have to be what you would do. It isn't fishy at all. And OP is right --- talking in general terms without using specific figures makes it very difficult to discuss meaningfully.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-18-2020)
Old 08-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
You will be fine. While the new car is a depreciating asset it will never be worth 0. Your initial outlay is about $ 80,000. If you trade/sell in 3 years the car will be worth that much. I think the key is that you have NO KIDS. My net worth is over 10x more than yours, but with 3 kids I feel poor.
Your net worth is more than $17M and you feel poor?
Old 08-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Super_K
Your net worth is more than $17M and you feel poor?
He must have some major (real major) expenses
Old 08-26-2017, 05:55 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Porsche knows you will pay $80 K for the next new model. That's why they improve their product with every new series. It's the way to "do business". Don't feel bad if you can afford your new dream. You have a choice, and the choice is yours.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
Like the OP said, there aren't very many places you can talk about this stuff and receive relatable feedback.

A psychotherapist might not have the same car affliction. Friends probably don't. Family ditto. Track days? Lol

He has his reasons. It doesn't have to be what you would do. It isn't fishy at all. And OP is right --- talking in general terms without using specific figures makes it very difficult to discuss meaningfully.
He didn't ask the forum if he could afford it based on his income he asked whether or not he should feel "foolish" for doing it. He obviously knows he can afford it.
Do you need anyone else to tell you when you're being foolish, not me.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:54 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I understand how the OP feels - I felt a little weird about it too at first. This Targa is the most expensive Porsche I've ever had.

What I try and do is focus on the enjoyment it delivers, not the expense. Whenever the enjoyment is too low for the price I'm paying, it's gone.

So far it hasn't come close to that. I love it more and more over time. There's nothing else in the world I'd rather drive.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

He didn't ask the forum if he could afford it based on his income he asked whether or not he should feel "foolish" for doing it. He obviously knows he can afford it.
Do you need anyone else to tell you when you're being foolish, not me.
I don't see how that changes anything. He is asking opinions from others who are in similar situations. Fixating on the word foolish doesn't change the core of what is being discussed.

Despite the negative comments, many have said they understand his predicament and others have told him not to worry about it. So success?

Im just saying there's nothing wrong with the OP wanting to discuss this even if you or I personally wouldn't.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:57 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I feel better now. We should all hug.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:39 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm emotionallly repressed. I'm not sure I could afford to hug this many people.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

I feel better now. We should all hug.
You scared of feeling less manly for being in the presence of feelings? It's okay, little buddy. I accept your hug offer.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:16 AM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 34 Posts

A really interesting and surprisingly polarizing thread. Unless you're from (or have been conditioned to) uber-wealth, how could you not feel a twinge of weirdness, financial self-reflection, existential perspective, or reptilian excitement when plunking down 150-large for a...car? A Porsche, or any exotic conveyance, for that matter? I mean, you can spend half of that and get a spectacular, lust-worthy ride (like a sweetly-optioned Audi or BMW or Jaguar or Lexus or Infiniti). In a lot of places, $150k is getting into real estate territory. It's three-fourths of a college education. It's real dough.

Still, to me, the financial rationalization/disclosure/discussion is a little besides the point. You can either pull it off, or you can't (or aren't comfortable doing so). As many folks here have weighed in from various life stages, for some a Porsche is a ginormous early stretch-purchase, and for others it's a comfortably afforded personal trophy or reward.

Only you can judge whether you've been sane, smart, and thoughtful with your money. Beyond that, it IS a purely emotional decision. Can you or anyone justify spending $150k on a piece of fine art? On a time-share or down payment on a getaway condo? On helping out your nieces or nephews with school? On several VERY nice vacations, or travel? On rare books? On a fat donation to your alma mater? On a super-exotic timepiece? On a contribution to your favorite medical charity? On a boat? Of course you can. If you feel you can afford it, it all comes down to whatever floats your proverbial boat. Any of these are disposable-income "luxury" transactions, either for personal enjoyment, shared enjoyment, legacy-leaving, or a personal sense of doing good.

Here's my rationale: I waited and saved. I've taken care of other more important things and do my charitable part. I can pull it off. I'm over 50. I'm not getting any younger. I'm a lifelong car nut and Porschephile. I only ever owned one other P-car, a used 993 that I bought for the price of a new Camry. So for me it was kind of now or, if not never, then when I'm older, creakier, leakier, and more harrasssed by age and health issues. Pfeh!

I started out looking at CPO cars to save a few bucks. My wife would have none of it. "You've busted your *** and you've been talking and dreaming about that goddamned car for as long as we've been married, which is over a quarter century. You're getting a new one. And the one with the red brakes." God love her.

After all the dithering and hand wringing, the trade-in's been traded, the check's been written, the balance adjusted, and life goes on...albeit a little more quickly in a C2S. I'm still a little self-conscious and private about my ride. But a day doesn't go by when I don't smile and say, "Dude, you got your Porsche." And I enjoy every second sitting in it, driving it, looking at it, photographing it, and posting here about it.

If you're feeling that way, you decided smartly.
The following 5 users liked this post by MeshGearFox:
Als992 (01-03-2022), jimmiejam (10-15-2020), maschinetheist (10-18-2020), Straight Shooter (12-18-2019), sverduzco (01-02-2022)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

^^ Great post. Sums it up nicely

Quick Reply: Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car