Sponsored by:

Break-in Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:19 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Your dealer is wrong on the frequency. OP should look at his manual and service reminder in his MFD. It's 20k miles on the 991.2. Engineers won over the lawyers on this point. The increase in frequency to 20k for the new 911s was discussed in another thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9986...-services.html
My 991.2 maintenance booklet states:
Oil maintenance
As per fixed service reminder indicator, at the latest after 10,000 miles or 1 year.

There are two sections in the booklet- Oil maintenance and maintenance. The maintenance section is everything else EXCEPT oil changes and is every 20,000 miles.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:26 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
My 991.2 maintenance booklet states:
Oil maintenance
As per fixed service reminder indicator, at the latest after 10,000 miles or 1 year.

There are two sections in the booklet- Oil maintenance and maintenance. The maintenance section is everything else EXCEPT oil changes and is every 20,000 miles.
ok. Thank you and LexVan for the clarification. Obviously I was the one who was incorrect on the frequency of the oil change on the .2.

However, getting back to the OP's original question on the "official recommendation" for the oil change frequency, it is annual or 10k and not sooner.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:35 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder why BMW changed their oil maintenance interval from 15000 to 10000 to 7500 miles. Maybe they realized that the service interval was to long and started to see signs of early engine wear. Now the computer is set up to 7500 miles oil interval change.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

My lord guys...it's a friggin oil change...change at 1000 or 2000 if it make you feel good or changing weight for track use or 10,000 just change by 10,000. Your NOT going to hurt anything by changing oil before 10,000 miles.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
I wonder why BMW changed their oil maintenance interval from 15000 to 10000 to 7500 miles. Maybe they realized that the service interval was to long and started to see signs of early engine wear. Now the computer is set up to 7500 miles oil interval change.
A lot of people on BMW forums follow Mike Miller's "old school maintenance". Basically it's in line with things that used to be relatively common intervals. Like the concept that no fluid is "lifetime". Unless you're speaking of the life of the warranty.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:14 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
A lot of people on BMW forums follow Mike Miller's "old school maintenance". Basically it's in line with things that used to be relatively common intervals. Like the concept that no fluid is "lifetime". Unless you're speaking of the life of the warranty.
I am speaking about the oil change interval. From 15000 miles by computer about 8 to 10 years ago, to 10000 and now 7500 miles which I believed changed two years ago.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:33 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

So, long term engine care aside (and debates about the ultra-precision of modern Porsche engines), the core issue here is the value of a short duration "break in" oil change. Again, engines built in 2017 are almost certainly cleaner and true-to-tolerance than decades ago. But...any initial break-in period is likely to produce more contaminants than the same engine with 20k miles. So for minimal cost, why not change out that first oil and filter sooner?
Old 08-26-2017, 12:00 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
So, long term engine care aside (and debates about the ultra-precision of modern Porsche engines), the core issue here is the value of a short duration "break in" oil change. Again, engines built in 2017 are almost certainly cleaner and true-to-tolerance than decades ago. But...any initial break-in period is likely to produce more contaminants than the same engine with 20k miles. So for minimal cost, why not change out that first oil and filter sooner?
Yes, I agree 100%. Which is why I changed my oil last weekend at 1,700 miles following your excellent instructions in your thread. Thank you again for doing that.

Subshooter - give us all a break, everybody on Rennlist knows you are violently opposed to changing the oil before 20k miles, or the actual recommended interval of 10k miles. Not everyone agrees with your philosophy, so stop trying to bend the universe to your will. I would venture a guess that each of us that is buying a brand new 911 is also mature enough to make our own decisions about an OIL CHANGE. So next time it comes up, just bite your tongue (or keyboard) and move on with your life.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:51 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
I'll Agree with LexVan

From Porsche:

http://files2.porsche.com/filestore/...017-model).pdf
Ok....but that is the 2017 manual and guidance. I recognize it is the same engine, however things change (even on maintenance) for the same engine as new evidence and analysis comes to light. Recognize that the pdf you referenced was probably developed and published in 2015 with 2014 or earlier data.

Good thought since I did European Delivery but the MFD was definitely in miles (at 20k miles). Same with OP in this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9986...-services.html

I don't have my car back yet from Europe so I can't check the service interval in the scheduled maintenance booklet. Car is sitting at my dealership so when I get it Saturday or Tuesday, I will look it up and post back in this thread to ensure we and I are not spreading false information. I will include pictures of MFD service interval as well.
I am an objective evidence kind of guy. Attached are two pics from my maintenance manual that says the service interval (including oil change) is based on the service reminder in the MFD. I attached the pic of the MFD display as well from my 2018 (for some reason they punched it in August instead of July when I started my European Delivery). Objective evidence for 2018 engines is 20k or 2 years from my read. Sorry about the side way pics.

Last edited by subshooter; 08-30-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:09 AM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at the other interval. Your MFD screen shot is for the inspection, the other is called oil service. I bet it says 9900 miles and 8/2018 for the oil service.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:09 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTSMeister
Look at the other interval. Your MFD screen shot is for the inspection, the other is called oil service. I bet it says 9900 miles and 8/2018 for the oil service.
You nailed it. I didn't realize there was a sub-menu under the service interval selection. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

This is purely a feel good measure.
Hey Subshooter, how ya doing! Sounds like we got this whole service interval figured out, finally. It's all good.

So, I wanted to come back to this comment from last week. And then maybe we can get this sucker to over 12 pages.

I think I made this challenge in another thread, but, I'll make it here again. I challenge someone to post a better (wear metals; iron, copper and alum) Used Oil Analysis than mine. I think I am having the excellent UOA results that I'm getting mainly because of:

1) early oil change at 1,000 miles
2) car actually gets driven
3) <4,000 rpm until oil hits +180F
4) using quality oil (Mobil 5W50), 5K drain intervals, all maintenance done on schedule

So, I don't agree that it's only a "feel good measure".
Old 08-31-2017, 09:53 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSMeister
You have data on this?

By durability do you mean mechanical breakage or media capacity that gets used up?
Oil filter manufacturers (like Mahle) design their filters in concert with the engine manufacturer. They will always recommend following the manufacturers guideline for changeout.

Since Porsche recommends an oil and filter change every 10,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first then we are safe, right? I don't think so for the following reason:
The manufacturer tests engines under normal drive conditions. If you are driving on the track regularly or engaging in very spirited driving engine wear will increase over the normal testing range. Therefore, the engine oil will become filled with more contaminates than normal and the oil filter will trap more of these contaminates under more stressful driving. The filter will become less efficient as the media sustains more contaminate buildup.

As far as I know (could be wrong) Porsche does not make any modifications in oil and filter change service interval for their Carrera lineup. They do however recommend a different service interval for GT3 and RS service interval if they are tracked. That interval is 3000 miles. Since we know that Mobil 1 will not oxidize at temps up to 500 degrees (our temps generally do not reach 260 degrees), one can only conclude that there is concern about the efficiency of the filter and increased contaminants.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:23 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

i do mine every year, regardless of miles. probably over-kill, but i like to spoil my car
Old 08-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by srfr13
I just eclipsed the 2000 mile mark on my .2 C2S so I'm finally done with the engine break-in…. I got a chance to launch yesterday afternoon and it was noticeably quicker than my M4! It’s amazing how well these cars can put the power down. I've heard some members say that they performed an oil change at this point but the dealer said I don't have to do anything until the 10K/1 year mark. What is the official recommendation? Thanks!
Mobil 0-40 could be one of the worst oils on the market. I'd get that stuff out as quickly as possible. Certainly at 2k. I do an early change on all my cars. The 10k interval is a stretch once the car has miles, but a super stretch with the factory oil and break in miles and possible contaminants. Why not change it?
I also don't agree with a 2k mile sub 4K RPM break in being good for the engine either. With no mention of lugging the engine (which is far worse for break in). Makes no sense to me.

Quick Reply: Break-in Oil Change?