Sponsored by:

Break-in Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:13 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Hey Subshooter, how ya doing! Sounds like we got this whole service interval figured out, finally. It's all good.

So, I wanted to come back to this comment from last week. And then maybe we can get this sucker to over 12 pages.

I think I made this challenge in another thread, but, I'll make it here again. I challenge someone to post a better (wear metals; iron, copper and alum) Used Oil Analysis than mine. I think I am having the excellent UOA results that I'm getting mainly because of:

1) early oil change at 1,000 miles
2) car actually gets driven
3) <4,000 rpm until oil hits +180F
4) using quality oil (Mobil 5W50), 5K drain intervals, all maintenance done on schedule

So, I don't agree that it's only a "feel good measure".
I agree on 2 and 3 - always.....not just for break-in.

It's easy to post a better oil analysis than yours. Just change the oil at 500 miles and it will be better. Or 100 miles which will be even better than that. Where does it end? Just because there are impurities in the oil doesn't necessarily mean anything. The fact that you change your oil at 5k miles because you think it is better implies that you think you know more about your engine than the engineers who designed it? I doubt it but perhaps.

The recommended oil change interval has got to be a reasonable balance between cost and effectiveness (or benefit) of the scheduled maintenance. Engineers (and lawyers) develop that scheduled maintenance interval based on these and other factors including the expected life of the car's engine. I am certain there are assumptions that they make on how long the car engine will last. Maybe 200k miles? Far longer than these cars will ever be driven by most (except for mine of course - I'm going for a record).

#notamuseumpiece

I recently sold my Lexus at 170k miles. Religiously followed the maintenance plan. Never used any oil. Engine ran just as good as the day I bought it. Non synthetic oil too. The Porsches will be the same way. If you track them often, I would have a different opinion on oil change frequency.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:48 PM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

On UOA and numbers...

Perhaps we should normalize the metals in the UOA? Say ppm per 5K miles? The numbers are low anyways and reported in whole integers.

Here's a few of mine (the GTS hasn't had a change yet):

02 Audi TT (1.8l, iron block, Al heads, 35K miles)
Aluminum 10 ppm/5K
Chromium 2 ppm/5k
Iron 26 ppm/5k
Lead 4 ppm/5k
Tin 0 ppm/5k

07 Audi Q7 (4.2l, Al block and heads, 130K miles)
Aluminum 2 ppm/5k
Chromium 0 ppm/5k
Iron 5 ppm/5k
Lead 1.5 ppm/5k
Tin .5 ppm/5k

The TT gets 5k oil changes with M1 0w-40 and the Q7 gets 15K changes with RLI Bio-Syn 5w-40 (a boutique oil designed for these non-sleeved direct injected engines)

On filters "wearing out"...

Sounds like the argument is they fill up with contaminants. I'll agree. These are different things than metals measured in ppm though. Those are too small to be trapped by anything. Lots of soot, blow by products, etc all contribute to using up the filter media. And that of course gets worse with engines that work hard.

Filters are also not always in the circuit because of the bypass valve. Spin on filters integrate it into the canister, elements (like for the 911) depend on the housing. This is in the 35 psi range which means if your oil pressure at the filter exceeds that value the oil bypasses the filter. Don't confuse oil pressure you may see in the MFD with this value, it may not be measured at the filter (a research topic for someone to take up).

Quick Reply: Break-in Oil Change?