Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 08:20 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Which series Mac did you own ?
super series, mp4-12c. Amazing to drive, but not fast enough to justify the amount of time in the shop vs a reliable turbo!!
The following 3 users liked this post by TtimeS:
gyh (06-21-2024), onfireTTS (06-21-2024), RSBro (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 02:04 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 117 Posts

Finally got to do a private/member's day event (so basically just shared the track with some Formula Ford and some Mazda spec cars who were doing testing when I got off track), and really really happy with the results. We focused more on lines and widening the track, so to speak, by using all the available asphalt and that felt good without holding people up or trying to pass someone way off line or 'racing' during a DE event, as is wont to happen in the Yellow/White PCA categories.

The Girodiscs were a huge improvement, as even the steel OEMs are great, so I definitely felt like I got my money's worth with them and the Textar pads. I'm really excited to see how they hold up over a full-on weekend, which will be coming in Sep/Oct at the soonest.

I'm not sure how much HP difference the exhaust or I/C upgrades helped but we weren't running fast, and I didn't ever have cooling issues with just the stock parts, but it sure sounds better at full chat! Can definitely feel the weight reduction on the back end as well.

The biggest difference was the steering feel of the Yokohama Advan Apex V601s on the HRE Flow Form wheels. I had them installed about 2 months before getting on the track, just to break in the rubber a bit, and could already feel the lighter steering vs. the OEM Turbo wheels and the PS4s. They're the same size as the Michelins, 245F/305R, but they 'feel' less heavy if that makes any sense. I'm not sure how much weight reduction I'm getting with my 'track' wheel+tyre setup, but I can for sure measure it and plan to. I just put my OEM wheels and PS4s back on, since they're under CPO warranty still thru October, in case of another puncture, and it's strange how you immediately get the 'feel' of your favorite tyre back when installed. I've had PS4s on my last 2 911s, so going back to 2017, so it makes sense I'm familiar with them!

I'm not sure how I'd feel about running the Advans daily, but on the track they definitely felt more pliable and not as stiff. It will take a full DE weekend to really know for sure. And since I bought a set of QuickJacks, swapping track vs. street wheels/tyres is an easy task.

All that to say, the Turbo even stock is a track animal, but with these upgrades and no tune, I'm really, really looking forward to seeing how it fares against other track-focused cars, that I already could keep up with, and put a good sized gap on, after these fairly basic mods. Highly recommended!!
The following 3 users liked this post by RSBro:
Bluemax2 (06-24-2024), Coppi52 (06-24-2024), gyh (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 04:08 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Added some pictures of the 'track' setup before going back to stock shoes:

The following 2 users liked this post by RSBro:
Bluemax2 (06-24-2024), gyh (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 04:46 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

Well sounds like your getting dialed in. If you decide on getting a tune the biggest difference I saw was consistency in regards to power not being reduce in the latter laps. And with a tune you can take advantage of the intercoolers and exhaust. I'm guessing you still have cats.
You can still get some impressive gains with them. Also with a tune you can tune the PDK.

Glad to see the tires felt better. I'm ordering a different set for the upcoming year. I'm getting tried of the soft side walls the the Sport cup 2's. Going to a stiffer side wall and see if I like it better.
The following users liked this post:
RSBro (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 05:13 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I wish it wasn't so damn hot in Texas where I could run some DE events during summer but it's beyond miserable, having done it a time or two, so just gotta keep waiting.
I do have the Sport Cats that came w/ the Fabspeed so they're still on there as I needed to keep it relatively civilized as a daily driver. It's truly amazing the weight of the OEM exhaust system in comparison!

I'm looking forward to putting the tires through the ringer and see how they hold up as October is still warm, and I plan on doing 2/3 days at COTA in November, which will eat up some wear items quickly!

Will be interested to see what tire you end up with. The Yokies were the cheapest option and for what I do they made sense financially so I can burn through them and it not be an issue.

After I get through these fall events, I probably will look at some tuning options going into 2025. I just can't convince myself I want a 992 yet so I plan to keep putting more into my .2 TT.
Bluemax2 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 05:38 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Being in Phoenix I completely understand, Our next event is in September. It's still in the mid 90's. And to boot it's in Wilcox, AZ which is in the far southern part of our state.

I'm thinking about going to the AD09 tires ATM. I would love to go to the CRS V2's not sure about up-sizing on stock wheels. On the fourth of July Apex wheels is going to have a Big sale coming up. I'm already going to buy a set for the wife's GT4 which we done alot of suspension work to during the break. Considering getting another set for my track set. I'm already on a set for my street setup with the PS4's and like you said the weight difference driving the car is huge.

I also have an allocation for a 992 in 2025 myself. Honestly not sure if I'm going to do it. As I have driven a few 992 TTS's. Yes they are quicker just don't like the PDK or the interior. Still have time though.
RSBro (06-27-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 05:49 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Speaking of GT4s... I need to get behind the wheel of one and see if I could live with it as a partial daily/track machine. I've been in plenty of 991.1/2 GT3s and they're not terrible, but also not what I'd call 'comfy' lol. How is the GT4 on the road?
Old 06-24-2024, 06:12 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

It's not to bad. I'm 6'1" and fit pretty good. For me it's not comfy enough for a daily driver. But it is a track monster. Needs a little bit of suspension work to make it right. It needs more power in my eye's compared to our cars. But after 60 it keeps up real well on the track with my car.

Last edited by Bluemax2; 06-24-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:06 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Do they not hold DEs in the summer in AZ? or do you just prefer not to run them as its a turbo car?
Old 06-25-2024, 01:15 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

I think it is too hot to do track days as it is over 100 degrees. wait for fall. or travel to colder tracks
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbodan:
Bluemax2 (06-25-2024), RSBro (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 10:46 AM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtec_
Do they not hold DEs in the summer in AZ? or do you just prefer not to run them as its a turbo car?

Other associations do. But we just do the PCA AZ events which is Sept. thru April. It's just to hot out here during the summer months.
RSBro (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 10:53 AM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Turbo or NA, it’s too hot in SoCal/AZ for track days in the summer. The tires get very hot and it’s not a ton of fun hanging in the paddock. Track season is Sept through May.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:18 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluemax2
Other associations do. But we just do the PCA AZ events which is Sept. thru April. It's just to hot out here during the summer months.
Same here in SE (Houston area) Texas.

Our PCA region runs events January, April, October, December only now. It used to be every month, then every other month, now just these months. I attended an August event once in my old Bimmer 550i and that thing would go into limp mode by the 2-3rd lap every session lol, plus the brakes were trash and couldn't hold up to the temps. Never again!
Bluemax2 (06-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Getting everything ready for the upcoming season. Since last year I added Camber plates and now have the front camber were I was hoping for. -1.9*. Hopefully that will help with the outside shoulder wear up front. Also installed a new set of performance PCCB pads. Stock pads were getting hot. You could see the adhesive between the pad and the backing plate starting to get hot and remold. Also added caliper temp stickers to get a base line at all the different tracks we go to. Did some maintenance at the same time. Flushed and replace the PDCC reservoir again and had access to a Piwis. It's interesting to see the suspension dance during the process. Also it's amazing after less than two years how bad the fluid looked.

And I had the rotors weighed. And after three years on De's and other events there is minimal wear to them. On average they lost 35 grams.

Last edited by Bluemax2; 08-26-2024 at 12:43 PM.
RSBro (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 01:11 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Sounds good!!

I currently have the following on my calendar to get signed up for, I can't wait to really test my new Giro discs and Yoko Advans, plus see how well the new intercoolers and exhaust keep up being pushed hard.
MSR Houston - early October
COTA - late November
MSR Houston - early December

Our local chapter usually has one in January but, if I do those 3 back to back to back, I'll probably just wait until the early April event as I'll certainly need new tyres and probably pads after these 3.
Bluemax2 (08-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo