Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 09:03 PM
SH991.2
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stock psi stock pzeros n1

I’m doing a quick track day at barber but don’t want to melting the tires. Stock 991.2 tts with stock p zeros. What should my cold temp and hot temps be?
Old 09-02-2024, 11:52 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,569 Likes on 2,594 Posts

Originally Posted by SH991.2
I’m doing a quick track day at barber but don’t want to melting the tires. Stock 991.2 tts with stock p zeros. What should my cold temp and hot temps be?
I don't know about this particular tire, but hot pressure is usually low to mid 30s psi, I would say mid 30s for a car of this weight. Cold pressure should not be below about 28 psi.

You won't be checking tire temps.
The following users liked this post:
SH991.2 (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 11:33 AM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 117 Posts

I usually start 28F/32R PSI on mine, works well.
SH991.2 (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 06:58 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

My target pressure HOT is 31-33 Front and 33-34 Rear. Cold pressures really depend on ambient temps when you start.
Old 09-03-2024, 07:10 PM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 22 Posts

What's the consensus of the group here on the adequacy of the stock brakes for casual, intermediate level track time? Are there any changes that you would deem essential before going out for an HPDE? I get in a handful of days a year and don't *love* the idea of doing a bunch of brake mods, but obviously I'd think differently if there were any key vulnerabilities. My car has SRF fluid in now and I'm hoping that's sufficient - I try to avoid midsummer trackdays and don't chase lap times so absolute performance isn't a concern.

For context, I came from an F80 M3 and was warned that the stock brakes essentially can't handle HPDE without modification. I started with PFC 08s and Motul 600 on that car and eventually added brake ducts and Ti shims (before selling everything to get into the Turbo).
Old 09-03-2024, 07:26 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

I ran with a completely stock setup for the last three years. Only thing I watch out for is that the brake pads are at least 7mm left on them. The pads act like a heat sink. Your running the same brake fluid I have used for years. I flush them yearly.
I do anywhere from 8-10 DE's and a few NASA events each year.

You will be fine with your setup
gyh (09-03-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 12:23 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gyh
What's the consensus of the group here on the adequacy of the stock brakes for casual, intermediate level track time? Are there any changes that you would deem essential before going out for an HPDE? I get in a handful of days a year and don't *love* the idea of doing a bunch of brake mods, but obviously I'd think differently if there were any key vulnerabilities. My car has SRF fluid in now and I'm hoping that's sufficient - I try to avoid midsummer trackdays and don't chase lap times so absolute performance isn't a concern.

For context, I came from an F80 M3 and was warned that the stock brakes essentially can't handle HPDE without modification. I started with PFC 08s and Motul 600 on that car and eventually added brake ducts and Ti shims (before selling everything to get into the Turbo).
I did two track days with my TT with the stock "Big Red" pad/rotor setup. It worked fine, except when it'd get into the afternoon sessions as here in Texas, even in October, that gets toasty, so they'd get mushy when pushing hard.
I did a simple and easy upgrade, with the 380mm Girodisc rotors and Textar pads, which I get zero squeal from, they perform better on and off track, and I have my bone stock rotors I can throw on when it's time to sell if I take it back fully stock.

This was my compromise looking at pad options, mostly and speaking to Giro directly. The rotors were a given but they have more "GT-style" pads available, as do many other brands, and they said for my HPDE track usage to stick w/ stock pads, they're made for the weight of our cars and will make the rotors last a lot longer. I also did it because I plan on at least 1-2 COTA events annually, so I needed some help. On my 'local' track, stock worked fine, but these simple upgrades make a world of difference. Highly recommended.
gyh (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 02:52 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Since we're on the topic what does everyone use as a phone mount if you use your phone for track timing via the TrackAddicts app & similar?
My local club has gotten strict on the tethering issue of a Garmin, phone, etc., so curious to some solutions.
Old 09-04-2024, 03:29 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

This is what I'm using for my garmin catalyst. I'm sure you come up with something for a phone mount.

https://t-design9.com/lap_timer_cata...t_porsche.html

Last edited by Bluemax2; 09-04-2024 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added a pic
Old 09-04-2024, 05:16 PM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RSBro
I did two track days with my TT with the stock "Big Red" pad/rotor setup. It worked fine, except when it'd get into the afternoon sessions as here in Texas, even in October, that gets toasty, so they'd get mushy when pushing hard.
I did a simple and easy upgrade, with the 380mm Girodisc rotors and Textar pads, which I get zero squeal from, they perform better on and off track, and I have my bone stock rotors I can throw on when it's time to sell if I take it back fully stock.

This was my compromise looking at pad options, mostly and speaking to Giro directly. The rotors were a given but they have more "GT-style" pads available, as do many other brands, and they said for my HPDE track usage to stick w/ stock pads, they're made for the weight of our cars and will make the rotors last a lot longer. I also did it because I plan on at least 1-2 COTA events annually, so I needed some help. On my 'local' track, stock worked fine, but these simple upgrades make a world of difference. Highly recommended.
Got a link to the Textar pads you're using? I have a TT with the iron brakes. I upgraded to Giro 380/380 rotors, Castrol SRF fluid, and Ferodo DS3.12 pads. Everything worked flawlessly at the track, but the pads are super noisy on the street, and produce some very corrosive dust. Looking for something that is quite and a bit more livable dust-wise since the car is 80/20 street/track.
Old 09-04-2024, 05:35 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VaderCab
Got a link to the Textar pads you're using? I have a TT with the iron brakes. I upgraded to Giro 380/380 rotors, Castrol SRF fluid, and Ferodo DS3.12 pads. Everything worked flawlessly at the track, but the pads are super noisy on the street, and produce some very corrosive dust. Looking for something that is quite and a bit more livable dust-wise since the car is 80/20 street/track.
Have you looked at some of the Pagid offerings as well? They have some Street+Track offerings, but what you said above is why I went with basically just an OEM replacement for the pads, knowing they wear well and will work fine for my local track, but will need something a step up for COTA.

I think I still have the box for the Textars so I can you a product number. Pelican probably sells them too.
Old 09-05-2024, 11:23 AM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VaderCab
Here's the side of the box I believe, all 4 pads came in. I have the nearly unused OEM ones (all 4) in this box, but I can't find another box for the rears, these look like the Fronts based on the shape. Probably threw away the other one for the Rears which are kind of like a square/rectangle IIRC. See if that helps!

Old 09-05-2024, 03:02 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluemax2
This is what I'm using for my garmin catalyst. I'm sure you come up with something for a phone mount.

https://t-design9.com/lap_timer_cata...t_porsche.html
I went to the Racing/HPDE section, and numerous people recommended this, going to try it out as it's not that much more $ than some of the suction-style mounts on Road & Track, Car & Driver, etc.
https://apextrackcoach.com/product/smartphone-mount/
Old 09-05-2024, 03:41 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Looks like a good mount. Worth giving it a try. I had something similar but didn't like the restricted view. And I kept looking at the timer LOL.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:41 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

I can understand both of those potential issues! I just need to test 'something' out before I go down the rabbit trails of the AiM stuff and dual cameras, OBDII interface, etc.

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo