Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 08:02 PM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nougat
I just picked up a 991.1 Turbo S and have a few questions.

(1) The car came with the following upgrades: BMC air filter, Kline catless exhaust and a Cobb AP with a custom Sam ByDesign Stage 2+ 91 octane tune. Will I be able to run the car with the State 2+ custom tune on track for 20 minute sessions without heat issues? Or should I re-flash the stock tune or a less aggressive Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune at the track to keep temps down (I have stock intercoolers). I would rather go hard for the full 20 minutes than have to take cool down laps during my limited time on track. I thought about larger intercoolers, but based on what I read in this thread, they may actually cause bigger heat soak issues because they don't cool down as fast.
I know Sam can do a track version of the Stage 3 tune; he might have one for Stage 2, too. I know a lot of track guys run the CSF intercoolers on the track with good results. I have a preowned set of the CSF ones for sale in the marketplace. I have the new do88s in mine; they are gigantic (for better or worse).
The following users liked this post:
Bluemax2 (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 09:52 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemax2
Castrol SRF is what I use. And was recommended to me by multiple shops and drivers. Endless is another one that is suppose to firm the pedal up but I have never tried it.
thank you. you recall how much these things take ?
Old 02-01-2024, 12:16 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
1 liter is enough for a full flush, though I like to have a bit extra because sometimes it isn't easy to tell when you have fully purged the old fluid and it's nice to go a bit more without worrying about not having enough to replace...

I also am a fan of SRF. There are other fluids out there that are it's equal or better as a pure racing fluid, but what SRF offers is an extraordinarily high wet boiling point in addition to the high dry boiling point, so it works great on cars that have longer flush intervals than a full track car might and have possibly absorbed a bit of moisture.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:40 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 246 Posts

stock TTS with Manthey sauce is a formidable track car
flsupraguy (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
I usually put 3 liters thru the very first time if it hasn't been done yearly. After that I put 2 liters thru as a yearly flush. The PCA at their HPDE likes to see yearly flushes so I have adopted that as a regular maintenance item for our cars.

Also whoever does your brake flush ask them to flush both bleeders on each corner. I have been doing my own for the last few years with a vacuum bleeder. First time I had it done I was told by the dealership that they only use the outside bleeder when they do there flush. The next year I did my own and it was shocking to see what came out of the inside bleeder compared to the outside. And I provided the dealership with two liters of SRF.

Last edited by Bluemax2; 02-01-2024 at 11:03 AM.
bigrpowr (02-04-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 09:38 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemax2
I usually put 3 liters thru the very first time if it hasn't been done yearly. After that I put 2 liters thru as a yearly flush. The PCA at their HPDE likes to see yearly flushes so I have adopted that as a regular maintenance item for our cars.

Also whoever does your brake flush ask them to flush both bleeders on each corner. I have been doing my own for the last few years with a vacuum bleeder. First time I had it done I was told by the dealership that they only use the outside bleeder when they do there flush. The next year I did my own and it was shocking to see what came out of the inside bleeder compared to the outside. And I provided the dealership with two liters of SRF.
thank you very much!
Old 02-10-2024, 02:11 AM
jrodporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If tracking a turbo make sure you add larger intercoolers for colder temps.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:40 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Many folks make the mistake of throwing the biggest intercoolers they can find into the car thinking that it's going to help keep IAT's down but for the track, it has the opposite effect: The bigger the intercooler, the more mass it has. Mass holds heat.
This is why the factory intercoolers have plastic end tanks - plastic doesn't hold onto heat as long as metal does. Slap on a pair of designed for drag racing and they will perform great for the first few laps but after 20-30 minute sessions, its going to get hot and to take more time to cool off. This inevitably leads to your intercoolers staying hotter for longer and you'll find yourself dealing with heat soak more and more as the day goes on leading to the car pulling boost and losing power.

I've done 135+ track days in my Turbo and have learned that less mid-range torque, good peak power, better turbo efficiency and heat management will give you the most consistent experience without sacrificing performance.

pfbz (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 10:10 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by KONG991TT
Many folks make the mistake of throwing the biggest intercoolers they can find into the car thinking that it's going to help keep IAT's down but for the track, it has the opposite effect: The bigger the intercooler, the more mass it has. Mass holds heat.
This is why the factory intercoolers have plastic end tanks - plastic doesn't hold onto heat as long as metal does. Slap on a pair of designed for drag racing and they will perform great for the first few laps but after 20-30 minute sessions, its going to get hot and to take more time to cool off. This inevitably leads to your intercoolers staying hotter for longer and you'll find yourself dealing with heat soak more and more as the day goes on leading to the car pulling boost and losing power.

I've done 135+ track days in my Turbo and have learned that less mid-range torque, good peak power, better turbo efficiency and heat management will give you the most consistent experience without sacrificing performance.
Although, cooled with water mist, the GT2RS intercooler has aluminum end tanks and are physically bigger than a Tyrbo S intercooler. Fin design is critical.

In theory, too thick of a core can cause a heat sink. I’ve seen it with 6 inch thick Bell cores on another platform.

Where the 911 is “thinish “ in max size fit able, have you tested an IC that reacted like a heat soak ?
Old 02-11-2024, 10:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,430 Likes on 2,520 Posts

My 991.1 TTS was flashed and had 'upgraded' plenum and intercoolers. On the road, the power increase was obvious, the car was very fast. On the track, I found that the car pulled harder out of corners than my 991.1 GT3, but the top speed it reached on the straights wasn't much higher than the 991.1 GT3. By contrast, my 992 TTS pulled relentlessly hard down the straights and reached much higher top speeds before braking (e.g., about 168 mph for 992 TTS, 155 mph for 991.2 TTS, 153 mph for 991.1 GT3).
Old 02-11-2024, 11:39 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Although, cooled with water mist, the GT2RS intercooler has aluminum end tanks and are physically bigger than a Tyrbo S intercooler. Fin design is critical.

In theory, too thick of a core can cause a heat sink. I’ve seen it with 6 inch thick Bell cores on another platform.

Where the 911 is “thinish “ in max size fit able, have you tested an IC that reacted like a heat soak ?
RE: the 2RS - there's some special tuning there as usually, to reach 700hp, you need to crank the boost up which comes with buckets of midrange torque. To achieve 700hp but "only" 550lb/ft or torque is pure magic (I had Sambo do something similar when I stepped up to the 68mm's). To your point, fin design is critical; specifically density. I think Jean or someone had attempted to get water misters on their car, this would help keep IAT's in check but ultimately, he went with a 2RS.

I had a friend in a TT that I would track with, we had the same type of mods running the OTS Cobb tunes but he had the big AMS intercoolers on. We reviewed the data from the AIM and every session after lunch, his starting IAT's and overall IAT's were higher during every single session after lunch (the hottest sessions of the day). It is for this reason, that I decided to go with the CSF's; they're larger than stock but too big like those ones that drag racers use. With some special Sambo tuning and the CSF's, I never ran into any heat soak.
Brian @ LGR (03-14-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 12:25 PM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KONG991TT

That’s my concern. I ended up ordering the do88 intercoolers because I thought it best to stay consistent with all the other do88 parts (plenum, y-pipe, inlets, connectors), but they are huge and heavy. Still, Sam seemed to think they would do well at the track.

I am running his Stage 3 track tune. World Motorsport has a water mist system for the 991/992 that I may add to keep IATs in check. I may also upgrade to the Stage 5 turbos to improve efficiency.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:52 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by VaderCab
That’s my concern. I ended up ordering the do88 intercoolers because I thought it best to stay consistent with all the other do88 parts (plenum, y-pipe, inlets, connectors), but they are huge and heavy. Still, Sam seemed to think they would do well at the track.

I am running his Stage 3 track tune. World Motorsport has a water mist system for the 991/992 that I may add to keep IATs in check. I may also upgrade to the Stage 5 turbos to improve efficiency.
You have zero worries with the DO88 system. I tested the recovery rate of the factory IC’s with Sam’s tune, then added the DO88 system. The recovery rate was as good as OEM even though it took more duration to get them to the same AIT.

I later built a custom spray system for extra hot days since I run pump 93. That works well also.
KONG991TT (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 12:53 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by VaderCab

More info on the World Motorsport water mist system?
Old 02-11-2024, 12:58 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
You have zero worries with the DO88 system. I tested the recovery rate of the factory IC’s with Sam’s tune, then added the DO88 system. The recovery rate was as good as OEM even though it took more duration to get them to the same AIT.

I later built a custom spray system for extra hot days since I run pump 93. That works well also.
More info on your custom spray system? Is the spraying the exterior of the intercoolers or is it a traditional methanol intake system that sprays the in the intake plenum?

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo