991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024 | 05:04 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

That was me last year. I went with the Garmin over the AIM stuff. It takes to much time to go thru the data at the track with the AIM. I find that the Garmin gives you everything you need before your next session. The AIM does give you more info but takes time to review between sessions. Plus I find the Garmin coach really helpful. I cut an average of 3 seconds off with the coach this year at multiple tracks.

The following users liked this post:
RSBro (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024 | 11:13 AM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Everyone I know personally, likes and mostly uses the Garmin.
I mostly only see the AIM rigs online or with instructors at my DE events, etc. or people/clients I know that have 'track cars', specifically and only for such usage. If I had 1 more garage spot, that's what I'd have!
Bluemax2 (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024 | 12:09 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

I agree. The Garmin for the money is a good lap timer. If you wait for their sales you can pick one up for 799.00 That's what I did.

I don't want to fall down the rabbit hole myself on a track car. Been there done that to many times before. At this point I just want to drive to the track on 200TW tires and go home and put my PS4's back on and daily it from there. Plus my wife does all the events with her GT4 so I have two of them to contend with.
RSBro (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024 | 12:41 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

That's the flipside of having a 911, too, is you don't 'need' a track-specific car. I've tracked everything except a GT-car, and all have been great in their own ways. C4S, C2, now TT, and with my brake upgrades and more track focused tires & wheels, should be a good improvement without affecting it's daily driver setup.
The following 2 users liked this post by RSBro:
Bluemax2 (09-06-2024), TurboSlipNot (09-08-2024)
Old 09-06-2024 | 01:03 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Your right. All it needs is a little mods here and there and it becomes a Lethal track weapon.
Old 09-08-2024 | 05:54 PM
TurboSlipNot
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSBro
That's the flipside of having a 911, too, is you don't 'need' a track-specific car. I've tracked everything except a GT-car, and all have been great in their own ways. C4S, C2, now TT, and with my brake upgrades and more track focused tires & wheels, should be a good improvement without affecting it's daily driver setup.
While i haven't tracked either the GT4 nor the TS yet, i do have some very permissive and desolate mountain roads around on which i've been able to get a sense of "what they are made of." Both of the cars are highly modified but since these are public roads, reasonable use/speeds apply - the gap gets only bigger if WOT usage were in full-effect as the turbo is almost instantly triple digits when floored. The TS' setup mandates R tires and along with the active chassis + 4WS (active aero replaced w/ GT3 components) the car just handles more G force better than the lighter up-rated GT4. What torque advantage the DeMan 4.5 might briefly have on the ESMotor 4.0 before it can spool is eclipsed by the 2-3X output difference of the Turbo and if that TS motor was stock then it would still have the upper hand on the 4.5L all across the band with its early-spooling factory setup. Factory TS might require more right-foot commitment but i doubt the 4.5 could keep up. The GT car feels more crisp (though the steering program does occasionally break suspension of disbelief unlike the TS' glorious wheel), is clearly lighter, sports tighter suspension, and the aero is more tangible due to all of those gains; but in the end these advantages don't add up to road-holding capability of all that TS tech on proper rubber (the GT4 is on Cup 2s and sticks quite well but it can't compare to the R888s). Brakes are an interesting point in this since both cars run carbon ceramics and the ~500lb difference should give the GT4 a huge advantage... but the 911's motor placement leverages the rear brakes much better resulting in better thermal dissipation of inertial mass across the swept surfaces. The previously fatal approach of hard-trail-braking a Turbo is permissible now given all of the tech keeping it on the line whereas the GT4 seems a bit more prone to lateral movement when upset like that. The procedure for rapid progression through a tight complex turn set is fairly different - you end up "muscling" the 991 through starting at lower speeds but the margin of speed still available to be gained by doing that ends up out-pacing the same "muscle through" threshold on the GT4 and it seems to take much less happily to that kind of driving over said threshold - more driver education needed on my end to figure out where that really ends but it gets hairy earlier when pushed past the breakaway point and it does break away. I can definitely see why people have dedicated GTs for the track - its an experience all its own and the RWD setup has a daredevil charm to it which the TS does not; capability-wise though it seems that the TS' technology stack overwhelms the GTs finesse in the end.

I fully intend to track both of these cars when i can find some free time to get proper measurements and externally timed laps on-record but unless i've managed to lose some absurd amount of operator skill in the year i've not driven mid-engine; i'm fairly certain that it would take a much better driver than me on a course favoring z-axis maneuvers to outpace a TS (much less this TS) even with this crazy-cakes 4.5 GT4.
The following 2 users liked this post by TurboSlipNot:
Bluemax2 (09-10-2024), RSBro (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 04:08 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

After getting my brakes, pads and track wheels+tires sorted, finally got an impact wrench, socket set, and torque wrench to tighten stuff up when swapping the sets and to make sure everything stays nice and tight during HPDE weekends. Now just to put those QuickJacks together...
Bluemax2 (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 05:08 PM
Miykl
Intermediate

Sounds good!!

I currently have the following on my calendar to get signed up for, I can't wait to really test my new Giro discs and Yoko Advans, plus see how well the new intercoolers and exhaust keep up being pushed hard.
MSR Houston - early October
COTA - late November
MSR Houston - early December

Our local chapter usually has one in January but, if I do those 3 back to back to back, I'll probably just wait until the early April event as I'll certainly need new tyres and probably pads after these 3.
I'm hoping to make the Nov and Dec events. Especially COTA.
RSBro (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 05:33 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

I'll be in the blue .2 TT! I'm undecided on December, but, January last year was hella cold, so I'll probably just nut up and go lol.
Old 09-10-2024 | 06:25 PM
Miykl
Intermediate

I'll be in the blue .2 TT! I'm undecided on December, but, January last year was hella cold, so I'll probably just nut up and go lol.
Dec will be a weather call. And the Oct date I dont think I can make schedule wise that's why shooting for COTA. Mine is a Guards Red .1. Hard to miss as not too many Turbos running around with cup car front fenders (runs 295/30 R20 front tires).
RSBro (09-10-2024)
Old 09-13-2024 | 09:36 AM
Cltbread
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Miykl
Hard to miss as not too many Turbos running around with cup car front fenders (runs 295/30 R20 front tires).
Danny's car out of Charlotte by chance? He had the only one I'd ever seen running the cup conversion. He moved on to a GT3.
Old 09-13-2024 | 09:48 AM
Miykl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cltbread
Danny's car out of Charlotte by chance? He had the only one I'd ever seen running the cup conversion. He moved on to a GT3.
BINGO. I used to be located in Bristol, TN and between RDR and just usual mtn drives had been around him and the car for some time. I was looking when he was selling and it was a no brainer. Its currently getting Sam's stage 5 turbos.
Cltbread (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024 | 09:56 AM
Cltbread
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Miykl
BINGO. I used to be located in Bristol, TN and between RDR and just usual mtn drives had been around him and the car for some time. I was looking when he was selling and it was a no brainer. It's currently getting Sam's stage 5 turbos.
Danny is a stand up guy! I'm sure it was very well sorted when you got it. Dang! And you are taking it a step further! It was already fast but you know that. Just for the record...his pretty blue GT3 sees tails on occasion to keep him humble. Well, let me clarify "not in the hills" but going to and from.

The increased mechanical grip from the 295 front tires has to make a tremendous difference on the track! I'd have to ask the pros here to validate.

Last edited by Cltbread; 09-13-2024 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2024 | 10:05 AM
Miykl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cltbread
Danny is a stand up guy! I'm sure it was very well sorted when you got it. Dang! And you are taking it a step further! It was already fast but you know that. Just for the record...his pretty blue GT3 sees tails on occasion to keep him humble. Well, let me clarify "not in the hills" but going to and from.

The increased mechanical grip from the 295 front tires has to make a tremendous difference on the track! I'd have to ask the pros here to validate.
I havent been on track with it yet, but in the mtns its incredible.

Yes, the car was well sorted, well maintained, and well loved. I think he might have shed a tear when we picked it up. Its been interesting to hear his perspective on his new car vs this one. Pretty much exactly as you'd expect though.
Cltbread (09-13-2024)
Old 10-01-2024 | 11:40 AM
Brian @ LGR
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have an unused still in box harness bar for the turbo - I need to get rid of near Summit Point, WV https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD5809910...tandalone.html

$500 picked up / or shipped, still in FVD box.

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo