Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017 | 07:18 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nolimits
In one particular rising corner I use to have to go from full throttle to maintenance briefly while tracking out and walking the edge. Now it’s flat out with confidence and I had to change how I take some other corners too, dang. Thanks to DCS for a great product and their support. On to some fine tuning and testing on other tracks.

I am not going to install the DSC but it would be interesting to know how this tool really impacts lap times with supporting data. Any datalogs of Gs and cornering speeds /lap time comparisons would be great to support the improved confidence and driving feel you are describing.
Old 09-10-2017 | 12:59 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
I am not going to install the DSC but it would be interesting to know how this tool really impacts lap times with supporting data. Any datalogs of Gs and cornering speeds /lap time comparisons would be great to support the improved confidence and driving feel you are describing.
Thanks for the wheel info, will probably add those as a third option for next season. Also the OEM PCCB heat shields behind the rotors now come in a smaller diameter that looks the same as the rotors so that will hopefully help on fit. I have PNs if you want them.

As for pre-DSC baseline data I hadn't logged anything specific to this. DSC likely has plenty. Agree that facts and data are best supporting info. I finally just finished up Racelogic HD2 set-up for this car, getting right CAN data elements took some time. Will be using that for data and track analysis. The DSC supports some collection too. Ran the car more yesterday on track and just loved it. Next week a different track with a rougher surface.

As far as track results for the DSC all I can say is my Sport mode track feel/handling is now much like what a coilover/sway swap does, less weight transfer, firmer, better transient response and turn-in etc. This, but dynamically adjusted and without the usual impact to DD, actually DD can be made better than OEM too.

Much depends on car config and driver skill set. This purchase was a no brainer for me and exceeded expectations, but suggest anyone looking at options check with an experienced vendor/shop for your specific goals.

Last edited by nolimits; 09-10-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2017 | 03:20 PM
kart driver
Racer

Thanks for the wheel info, will probably add those as a third option for next season. Also the OEM PCCB heat shields behind the rotors now come in a smaller diameter that looks the same as the rotors so that will hopefully help on fit. I have PNs if you want them.

As for pre-DSC baseline data I hadn't logged anything specific to this. DSC likely has plenty. Agree that facts and data are best supporting info. I finally just finished up Racelogic HD2 set-up for this car, getting right CAN data elements took some time. Will be using that for data and track analysis. The DSC supports some collection too. Ran the car more yesterday on track and just loved it. Next week a different track with a rougher surface.

As far as track results for the DSC all I can say is my Sport mode track feel/handling is now much like what a coilover/sway swap does, less weight transfer, firmer, better transient response and turn-in etc. This, but dynamically adjusted and without the usual impact to DD, actually DD can be made better than OEM too.

Much depends on car config and driver skill set. This purchase was a no brainer for me and exceeded expectations, but suggest anyone looking at options check with an experienced vendor/shop for your specific goals.

What is the downside of the DSC to the DD? I presume there should be some ))
I would want to hear some feedback of how it feels on a poor quality road.

As the OEM suspension in this car is just dealing amazingly comfortable with a poor pavement. I don't know any other car in this range of dynamics, which is so comfortable for DD.
Old 09-10-2017 | 10:10 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kart driver
What is the downside of the DSC to the DD? I presume there should be some ))
I would want to hear some feedback of how it feels on a poor quality road.

As the OEM suspension in this car is just dealing amazingly comfortable with a poor pavement. I don't know any other car in this range of dynamics, which is so comfortable for DD.

No down side I know of except cost, especially if OEM ride quality is already what you want. Note the DSC can be configured to provide a softer more compliant DD/street ride than OEM though, just by easing shock calibrations and other elements if desired. This may be better for some, either way nice rides all the way around.
Old 10-03-2017 | 04:27 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Track season more or less is over here in Norway now and that gives time for reflection of how the car has performed and what to do to further improve it.

The 991.2 Turbo S has following set up for track use:
Bucket seats (original from Porsche)
Heigo half roll cage
Schroth harness both seats
Tarett camber plates
Forgeline GE1
Cup 2's 265 front and 325 rear
DSC V2 box
Castrol React brake fluid

The interior set up is spot on, really happy with that.
For the tyres I went wider than stock. I have noticed some very minor rubbing in the front well. For the rear the tyres stick out from the body a little more than I like. The sizes have performed very well on the track though.
The rims are really looking great on this car, however, I'd like a little less aggressive offset in the rear (at least with the 325's).
Camber plates has provided -2,1 camber.
DSC box was fitted a week ago and I just had one track day with it. I just works very well. So far I have used it as in stock configuration, no further programming yet. I really is a nice addition to the car. I get a minor fault note on the front axle lift (after I use the lift) since I put in the DSC box. I just wipe it away and nothing more happens.

So, what is next?
After 10 track days I definitely need new rubber. They wear more at the outer sides, meaning I need more angles on the wheels. I will discuss this with the dealer later in the week. Most likely I need to have -3,0 front and -2,6 rear (as I see others in here run). I think that will still give a nice ride on the road as well. Possibly I will need to get more stuff from Tarett to get there.
For next rubber I will downsize rear to stock 305's (most for the looks) but most likely keep 265 front.
I also would like some more noise, however, it must also be possible to drive more muted when I like. Some of the systems out there are really nice, but too expensive IMO. It is important to meet my local track regulation at 100db at 4000rpm. I would really like to take some advise on this.

I really think these new upgrades on suspension together with some programming on the DSC box will make the car even more capable on track than it is today.

Please give your comments

Last edited by Nordic Flyer; 10-03-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2017 | 10:06 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nordic Flyer
Track season more or less is over here in Norway now and that gives time for reflection of how the car has performed and what to do to further improve it.

Heigo half roll cage
Tarett camber plates
Forgeline GE1
DSC V2 box
Check out Awe Tuning's wind deflectors. They help with wind shutter at high speed. A different rear wheel offset would have prevented those tires from sticking out. I think your Forgeline dealer failed you on that. What are the wheel sizes and offsets? Otherwise, very nice setup!
Old 10-03-2017 | 10:44 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Check out Awe Tuning's wind deflectors. They help with wind shutter at high speed. A different rear wheel offset would have prevented those tires from sticking out. I think your Forgeline dealer failed you on that. What are the wheel sizes and offsets? Otherwise, very nice setup!
Thanks Randy,

Offsets are +47 rear and +52 front
Forgeline claim this is their standard Turbo fitment. With 305's I think it will be just fine.
Old 10-03-2017 | 05:35 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nordic Flyer

Heigo half roll cage
Tarett camber plates
Forgeline GE1
DSC V2 box

The interior set up is spot on, really happy with that.
For the tyres I went wider than stock. I have noticed some very minor rubbing in the front well. For the rear the tyres stick out from the body a little more than I like. The sizes have performed very well on the track though.
The rims are really looking great on this car, however, I'd like a little less aggressive offset in the rear (at least with the 325's).
Camber plates has provided -2,1 camber.
DSC box was fitted a week ago and I just had one track day with it. I just works very well. So far I have used it as in stock configuration, no further programming yet. I really is a nice addition to the car. I get a minor fault note on the front axle lift (after I use the lift) since I put in the DSC box. I just wipe it away and nothing more happens.

So, what is next?
After 10 track days I definitely need new rubber. They wear more at the outer sides, meaning I need more angles on the wheels. I will discuss this with the dealer later in the week. Most likely I need to have -3,0 front and -2,6 rear (as I see others in here run). I think that will still give a nice ride on the road as well. Possibly I will need to get more stuff from Tarett to get there.
For next rubber I will downsize rear to stock 305's (most for the looks) but most likely keep 265 front.
I also would like some more noise, however, it must also be possible to drive more muted when I like. Some of the systems out there are really nice, but too expensive IMO. It is important to meet my local track regulation at 100db at 4000rpm. I would really like to take some advise on this.

I really think these new upgrades on suspension together with some programming on the DSC box will make the car even more capable on track than it is today.

Please give your comments
And our season is about to start, you're a flight away

About the camber plates.. Together with Tarrett control arms you will get more camber.. I run -3.2 and can go further. Even with that camber Trofeos have slightly higher temps and wear on the outside, so you are not maximizing their potential. (Edit: just read you have Cup 2)

The 52 offset is more suitable for the 991 GT3, I run 997GT2RS offset (48 & 47) on 19" and Trofeo 245/35 front, the fit is perfect I could even do with slightly more aggressive offset. Never felt any need to go wider up front, the car is super well balanced. The Trofeo have a very wide section of 10.3" if I recall correctly. It's more than good.

I fitted 265 Hoosier R7s front and there was minimal rubbing, but my car is lowered also with Eibach.

If you want serious track performance you need to change your suspension, I doubt DSC with stock shocks will give you better lap times, they do give you better comfort and balance it seems, but I doubt at the edge on a race track.
Old 10-06-2017 | 12:44 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Default DSC V2 Thoughts

My final comments after having fine tuned the DSC calibrations and run several tracks. I set-up Sport to be very track like, firm calibrations with high sensitivity and response. Left regular mode soft for a nice street ride. My two bits comes with significant experience and skill set on track, 30yrs, many types of cars, advanced/instructor, driving beyond the edge ... no brag just perspective intended. Love the config I have, chases down Cup cars, GT3 RS etc. The DSC is a good contributor. I feel no need for coilovers, larger sways. At best progressive springs are better on track for sure, but on the street they're still not close to an OEM or better ride. To each his own but I'm content with the elements and config on the car now, it's capability speaks well. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 10-06-2017 | 01:49 AM
pfl
Rennlist Member

My final comments after having fine tuned the DSC calibrations and run several tracks. I set-up Sport to be very track like, firm calibrations with high sensitivity and response. Left regular mode soft for a nice street ride. My two bits comes with significant experience and skill set on track, 30yrs, many types of cars, advanced/instructor, driving beyond the edge ... no brag just perspective intended. Love the config I have, chases down Cup cars, GT3 RS etc. The DSC is a good contributor. I feel no need for coilovers, larger sways. At best progressive springs are better on track for sure, but on the street they're still not close to an OEM or better ride. To each his own but I'm content with the elements and config on the car now, it's capability speaks well. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I would love it if you can share your config.

I just got the DSC V2 and have been tracking and instructing for about 12 years so much less than you but would love to get a good file.

991.1 Turbo with only Trofeo R + DSC V2.
Old 10-28-2017 | 06:00 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

If I may ask you guys for your help, interested into buying a 991.2 TTS, pls help me with two Qs

1. Can we put for example 380F/R Girodisc irons on yellow calipers and keep the ceramics to put back before resale ? I would like to use 19" slicks, but dont like the really tight fit I have seen for some 19" wheels with ceramics (410/390), I guess 380/380 Giros are ok with better pads and fluids and maybe some weight reduction - track seats and exhaust- not big deal

2. Anybody used slicks? Worried a bit about the void warranty if slicks are used, guess at least for a plain track slicks should be a worry

3. Do you think 991tts would be a nice track car? I am coming from 996tt with widebody, cup style aero, 285/325 pirelli slicks, 3100lbs, big brakes etc and other cars are apha10 4.1liter Gt-R and e36 gutted race car 2.8t. All of them running with both Rcompound or slicks

4. I feel 991.2TTS with the antilag system, bigger fuel system, intake manifold etc has some serious advantages over the regular 991TT, if not possible to run 19" slicks on TTS, might consider downgrading to TT 540hp

thanks
Old 10-29-2017 | 08:25 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pepinozaur
If I may ask you guys for your help, interested into buying a 991.2 TTS, pls help me with two Qs

1. Can we put for example 380F/R Girodisc irons on yellow calipers and keep the ceramics to put back before resale ? I would like to use 19" slicks, but dont like the really tight fit I have seen for some 19" wheels with ceramics (410/390), I guess 380/380 Giros are ok with better pads and fluids and maybe some weight reduction - track seats and exhaust- not big deal

2. Anybody used slicks? Worried a bit about the void warranty if slicks are used, guess at least for a plain track slicks should be a worry

3. Do you think 991tts would be a nice track car? I am coming from 996tt with widebody, cup style aero, 285/325 pirelli slicks, 3100lbs, big brakes etc and other cars are apha10 4.1liter Gt-R and e36 gutted race car 2.8t. All of them running with both Rcompound or slicks

4. I feel 991.2TTS with the antilag system, bigger fuel system, intake manifold etc has some serious advantages over the regular 991TT, if not possible to run 19" slicks on TTS, might consider downgrading to TT 540hp

thanks
1. Yes you can change to Girodisc with yellow calipers easily, but changing rotor size won't help with 19" wheel fitment, because the caliper clearance is the issue, and is not affected by the rotor diameter.

2. I've run with Cup2 exclusively, and unlike the GT3, I have never been able to find a 19" wheel that will fit over the TTS calipers. Unless you gut the whole brake kit and start over with a new caliper mounting point, I don't think this is going to work.

3. I track 50-60 days a year in a 991.2 TTS and would run over any of the cars you list above on track with ease. I cannot recommend this car enough, but don't skimp on the safety equipment. The 991,2 TTS runs over any GT3 and with some minimal aftermarket help it pulls away from 991 GT3RS on Cup2 tires!!

4. The TTS and TT have the same caliper mounting points, so either is going to have similar issues with 19" wheels and slicks. You should think about changing how you drive this car to get the best lap times, plus invest in some camber plates and keep telling yourself "slow in - fast out" and you will be fine.
Old 10-29-2017 | 01:02 PM
Cookie991
Intermediate

For what it’s worth I have a 991.2 TTS & a GT3RS, and while I love my TTS, the RS is faster and more fun on the tracks I run in the NW (except when it rains).

However if you could put the TTS on a diet and add more aero, that would be a different story.

I had s 991.1 TTS and I’d have to say the .:2 on-track performance IMO is a significant leap forward in terms of overall drivability and performance.

Cheers

B
Old 10-30-2017 | 12:21 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cookie991
For what it’s worth I have a 991.2 TTS & a GT3RS, and while I love my TTS, the RS is faster and more fun on the tracks I run in the NW (except when it rains).

However if you could put the TTS on a diet and add more aero, that would be a different story.

I had s 991.1 TTS and I’d have to say the .:2 on-track performance IMO is a significant leap forward in terms of overall drivability and performance.

Cheers

B

Would be good to meet. Just spent a couple great last season days this weekend at the Ridge and Pacific. Only RS I've had trouble keeping up with was a new one with OEM size Trofeo Rs. I've got suspension work to get camber, 991.1 OEM Trofeo R sizes, no weight or aero work. Look forward to running something optional like larger R7 or Trofeos on this car. Working on finding right wheel set-up this winter. Have some ideas. Love both cars.

Last edited by nolimits; 10-30-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2017 | 01:53 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by longboarder
Just finished my first track day with the 991.1 TTS. AutoClub Speedway in SoCal. It's a very fast track where horsepower and big breaks are key but there are also a number of very slow speed corners and U turns which rewards the lighter cars with good turn-in. Car is all stock with 4,000 miles including PZero N0's. Just have power mods GIAC/Champion tune intercoolers exhaust upgraded 68mm turbos 100% meth.

I have only one comment - these tires are completely inadequate! Whoever is getting laps times as good as GT3 and GT3 RS kudos.

In my case I melted the tires in less than 10 laps. First, no threshold braking. The brakes completely outmatch the tire capabilities. The car turns amazing for stock camber and all this weight but slips and sides al over I was fighting it every low speed corner. PSM off of course. Started tire pressure in the high 20's and they felt best in the low 30's but with all the sliding around they heated up quickly. It was a hot day around 85-90 def F so I'm sure that didn't help.

On TrofeoR's this thing should be a lot better. I'll give it a shot someday but in the mean time I just bought a 991.1 GT3 to tide me over for a while.

Cheers.
I have similar problems on the track with my 991tt (w/o PDCC). For an awd car, it seems to have a lot of lift throttle oversteer, and turn-in on low speed turns will bring the tail around unless I gently get back on the throttle.

I also found the car seems to like higher tire pressures than I’m used to. I’ve run other cars at low 30s hot, but the ideal pressures seem to be 35/39 hot, on MPSS tires on stock wheels. The car feels greasy and all over the place with pressures in the low 30s.

If this doesn’t sound right to the more experienced members here, do you think something is wrong with my car? Could a fault in the RWS be causing the rear to be so loose?

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo