Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I think what speed21 is referring to is a gear wrench. Let's face it : I haven't worked on a 991TT,but knowing Porsche,I am pretty sure they haven't changed the design so drastically that it's something we've never seen from previous Turbo generations. Yes,the intercooler is in the way so you can't really come with a power tool and extension/socket set up from the front but a gear wrench will do that job instead. Either way removing the intercoolers is a breeze if you had to,not to mention you're dealing with brand new fasteners without any rust. I'd say for someone that's done it before,it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours.

P.S. Here's an illustration from the 996TT. 4 studs secure the cat to the turbocharger with 4 nuts and washers : No 7 and No 8 in the picture.
Thanks neanicu for the diagram and so on. The gear wrench you speak of is also referred to as a craftsman's wrench, and many toolboxes unfortunately don't have one, even at certain official dealerships. Having the right tools is great for jobs like these where the usual ringy, open ender or socket can't achieve access or motion on the nut.. Agree removing the IC's is no big deal so long as you are mindful of the retainer clips when reattaching the pressure lines as I have frequently heard and read of cases where they have later blown out under pressure due to a lack of attention upon re installation... to make sure the snap locks are properly locked iykwim. That one really needs to be closely watched for. That said if you can avoid removing the IC's it is better in the sense everything remains undisturbed from factory plus time is certainly saved. Time is $ as you know....unless you are doing it yourself. I think 2 to 3 hours is possibly achievable for the well rehearsed but most would find this job takes longer on the basis of ensuring everything is spot on and not just thrown together in a race over time. The sensors are time consuming to get everything perfect and you want that on a car like this. The EP cats, and most AM cats also don't share the same sensor locations in the actual cat and that can mean a bit of fiddling in getting the wires positioned evenly upon re installation so there is no stress on any of them when everything goes back into place. Seeing how the job is done I can fully understand the need for care in that area. To gain good access it is also better to lower the rear of the engine by releasing the rear mounts so it drops by an inch or so, which can also help in accessing the wires between the engine and body.

I can understand in a wham bamm thank you mam type of job short cut$ can and are taken, and things aren't cleaned down and put back like new by the fitter, 02 wires can be knotted and twisted up ( I mean if the owner can't see it, it won't hurt and if they fail later then se la vie...**** happens). Well, me personally, on a car of this value I'd prefer the extra time spent on getting everything perfect and pay for that willingly, but that is just me and may not necessarily apply to everyone and every job.

Here is a shot of the tools supplied by EP for the job. Note the ratchet type wrench and fixed wrench with bend. These really do the job! The other tools are for the Torx screws in the wheel arches etc...to remove splash guards etc. Also supplied are 2 new flange gaskets and all new nuts etc....so it represents a nice package for the installer to speed up the job!
Attached Images  

Last edited by speed21; 07-10-2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-10-2014, 11:32 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Thanks neanicu for the diagram and so on. The gear wrench you speak of is also referred to as a craftsman's wrench, and many toolboxes unfortunately don't have one, even at certain official dealerships. Having the right tools is great for jobs like these where the usual ringy, open ender or socket can't achieve access or motion on the nut.. Agree removing the IC's is no big deal so long as you are mindful of the retainer clips when reattaching the pressure lines as I have frequently heard and read of cases where they have later blown out under pressure due to a lack of attention upon re installation... to make sure the snap locks are properly locked iykwim. That one really needs to be closely watched for. That said if you can avoid removing the IC's it is better in the sense everything remains undisturbed from factory plus time is certainly saved. Time is $ as you know....unless you are doing it yourself. I think 2 to 3 hours is possibly achievable for the well rehearsed but most would find this job takes longer on the basis of ensuring everything is spot on and not just thrown together in a race over time. The sensors are time consuming to get everything perfect and you want that on a car like this. The EP cats, and most AM cats also don't share the same sensor locations in the actual cat and that can mean a bit of fiddling in getting the wires positioned evenly upon re installation so there is no stress on any of them when everything goes back into place. Seeing how the job is done I can fully understand the need for care in that area. To gain good access it is also better to lower the rear of the engine by releasing the rear mounts so it drops by an inch or so, which can also help in accessing the wires between the engine and body. I can understand in a wham bamm thank you mam type of job short cut$ can and are taken, and things aren't cleaned down and put back like new by the fitter, 02 wires can be knotted and twisted up ( I mean if the owner can't see it, it won't hurt and if they fail later then se la vie...**** happens). Well, me personally, on a car of this value I'd prefer the extra time spent on getting everything perfect and pay for that willingly, but that is just me and may not necessarily apply to everyone and every job. Here is a shot of the tools supplied by EP for the job. Note the ratchet type wrench and fixed wrench with bend. These really do the job! The other tools are for the Torx screws in the wheel arches etc...to remove splash guards etc. Also supplied are 2 new flange gaskets and all new nuts etc....so it represents a nice package for the installer to speed up the job!
All very helpful. Reassuring to know that EP gives you the right tools for the job. Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Yes. This is what I'm referring to as a gear wrench. It has a ratcheting mechanism inside so you don't have to remove it each time you're turning the nut. Flip it over and it goes the other direction. I particularly love mine because it bends to a desired angle. I believe the size nuts are 13mm. Might be different on the 991TT.
Also,there shouldn't be any reason to lower the engine. There's enough room to fish the wiring in between the chassis. It is held in by metal clamps so you need to slide it off those. Be careful disconnecting the O2 connectors,especially on the upstream sensor. They twist right out of the cats if you have a proper O2 sensor tool. It is the same process fitting them into the new cat,just make sure-very important- that you are putting the O2s exactly where they came out since the upstream is different than the downstream.

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, craftsman makes a 6" shorty version of that wrench which is perfect and probably better than the angled one supplied.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
I have to say the stock system really does sound good vs the previous 997.2tt and 997.1tt. It's clear that they made an effort or at least a lot more than the last go around. A few of our local California based sharks still wanted more sound- at least on the outside and with the windows down. The dealers here and emissions are strict so changing cats is a no no for street cars... So we sort of did something similar to the 997.2 set up we had. That one is louder outside but still doesn't drone inside. If we were to do something like that on the gen1 TT however it _would_. The dfi engine, cats etc... on the later cars do allow one to get a good bit more open that's for sure.

I've got a blown ear drum from surfing a couple of years ago so I'm a lot more of a wuss than I used to be and sensitive to drone. This time around was certainly more complex with more tubing, bends, welds etc... And like speed21 says the stock one kind of / sort of has some to it. I didn't want to add anymore that's for sure. So in the end we didn't induce more drone. It does burble a lot more (some might like and some may not), hiss with turbo spool etc... but since we're still retaining the stock cats we're compliant here for warranty/emissions purposes. If I were going for power etc... I'd use higher-flow cats but I don't think I would do so in combination with ours as it would get too loud (at least for me). For now we'll be offering it locally and to folks that had our 997.2TT set up...

Porsche 991 Turbo S SharkWerks Exhaust - YouTube
What size CELs are the OEM Cats?
Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Bit the bullet and ordered the EP exhaust. Was told it should ship out on July 24th. My car is still not at the dealer. Will hopefully arrive this week.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:22 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
600. EP is 100 and most other 200. OEM cats are the same as the 997tt...both 600.

Originally Posted by enzom
Bit the bullet and ordered the EP exhaust. Was told it should ship out on July 24th. My car is still not at the dealer. Will hopefully arrive this week.
Congrats. Let us know your thoughts once you have it on. Mine gets better by the day.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

600. EP is 100 and most other 200. OEM cats are the same as the 997tt...both 600. Congrats. Let us know your thoughts once you have it on. Mine gets better by the day.
Thanks. I suspect the way my car is being held at the port that the exhaust may get to the dealer before my car does. I will have them put it on before delivery. I will never know what the stock exhaust sounds like.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
6-hundie...

Dan finally released our pipes
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=422
Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

sound clip?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
sound clip?
here y'are. I need to get some more and will soon...
Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 PM
speed21
Banned

Hey Alex I note your SharkWerks cross pipe thankfully does not make any of that ridiculous gunshot like Fabspeed catless and the Cargraphic Y pipe, both which appear to use that same design Y collector. I assume they are both sourcing it from Jim's Taiwan? It sure does looks the same y collector anyway..

Please quote me if I am wrong, but it appears this restrictive looking Y collector box is behind the shotgun problem or has something to do with it? It appears to have been made as a component so to accommodate a large range of vehicle set ups....i.e a one size fits all. A bit like the imported mufflers I suspect. All that is required from there on is basically a few mandrel bent pipes welded to these two components in a jig and voila they can basically produce an AM system for virtually any car or model..... to max out profit margins. Not a bad business model if I must say. Just price up the system depending on the car it is going on to....
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Alex I note your SharkWerks cross pipe thankfully does not make any of that ridiculous gunshot like Fabspeed catless and the Cargraphic Y pipe, both which appear to use that same design Y collector. I assume they are both sourcing it from Jim's Taiwan? It sure does looks the same y collector anyway..

Please quote me if I am wrong, but it appears this restrictive looking Y collector box is behind the shotgun problem or has something to do with it? It appears to have been made as a component so to accommodate a large range of vehicle set ups....i.e a one size fits all. A bit like the imported mufflers I suspect. All that is required from there on is basically a few mandrel bent pipes welded to these two components in a jig and voila they can basically produce an AM system for virtually any car or model..... to max out profit margins. Not a bad business model if I must say. Just price up the system depending on the car it is going on to....
I guess fluid dynamics and obvious path of least resistance and reduced back pressure wasn't taught in some schools. Not sure what the obsession is with this X on a turbo car is (I guess it's a cheap piece to make and buy from there even if one is exploiting a bunch of underage workers) I can't say it sounds as good as an EP (they always have a unique sound and I haven't yet heard one) but with stock cats there's no drone/resonance and it's got a bit of oomph to it! With the DFI engine I liked our 997.2 set up and this is close that if you will.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sharkster
I guess fluid dynamics and obvious path of least resistance and reduced back pressure wasn't taught in some schools. Not sure what the obsession is with this X on a turbo car is (I guess it's a cheap piece to make and buy from there even if one is exploiting a bunch of underage workers) I can't say it sounds as good as an EP (they always have a unique sound and I haven't yet heard one) but with stock cats there's no drone/resonance and it's got a bit of oomph to it! With the DFI engine I liked our 997.2 set up and this is close that if you will.
Yes this would be all dutch to Joe I'm afraid. And after his recent performance over on the 997tt section it is glaringly obvious he really needs to get himself educated and at the very least up to speed on the basics. Shocking really especially for a guy in his position to be so out of touch everywhere. And my guess is their current obsession with that silly cheap looking Y box has been based purely upon a BS marketing concept designed to aesthetically connect with certain buyers in making them believe they are buying something special when they are not. And perhaps (CG) have seen an opportunity to climb onto the same train while it is moving $...either that or Jim's have a bulk group buy deal running?

LOL. BS really does baffle brains.

Last edited by speed21; 07-29-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Still curious to know what these nice toys sound like from where it matters most of the time..._inside_ the cabin...when compared to stock. I can imagine why it's hard (not really fair even) to assess these systems from exterior cameras with wind and other environmental noise (and to judge by most samples I've heard so far nothing more than on-camera mics which are...well, basic). From inside with a decent mic...at least for me a side-by-side of stock versus AM might be even more compelling.

Quick Reply: Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?