Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?

Just curious how many of the TT/TTS owners are finding their exhaust note?

I also see there are a few options surfacing in the Aftermarket and wonder how many owners are likely to change their system due to wanting something "more"?

Has anyone felt any of he offerings are worth changing for? And, if so which one?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Snorman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like quiet and seldom go for systems that are louder. I sold one of my GT-R's to make room for the TT (my '12) and it was modded with GT2867 turbos, IC's, DP's, intakes, etc.. I had a catted midpipe and stock catback. I loved the sound. It was very stock sounding and very quiet with no drone. That car made 710 awhp when I had it an my buddy who bought it switched it over to Ecutek and retuned the car, making 723 awhp.
So the jury is out for me until I see if an AM system is going to give very nice gains but be quiet.
S.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM
todo
Intermediate

I had my days of tuning these 'super cars' - my last Turbo was tuned 700HP (750 on Race) - I will never do this again. Putting all that power in the car messes up all the technology developed by Porsche with millions of dollars worth of investment.
Do we think the tuners know more than Porsche? The car is designed for ultimate performance and safety - why mess with that.
I also installed 20 inch wheels - bas *** looking but totally screwed up the ride of the car - had to always drive in soft suspension mode.
In my 458 Spider I recently installed the Factory OEM Race Exhaust mufflers - only did this because it was a Ferrari OEM product even though the price was totally ridiculous.
Summary - dont mess with these cars - they are designed by top engineers at Porsche - we can only wreck thier design by doing so.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:44 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

+1. I have modded cars in the past. Never again. All mine are stock and will stay that way.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:15 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 252 Posts

When I first started my car I was surprised at how quiet the exhaust was. But after spending a day driving the car all day with the top down, the exhaust note is dramatically louder after it's warmed up.

So no AM for me.

Sounds fine as is m

Jeff
Old 05-04-2014, 12:24 AM
speed21
Banned

Hmm. No takers so far. Doesn't look good for the AM boys. I think Porsche really did a good job on a lot of things with this car. Not much left on the table if anything.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Paul, they all sound like crap, even the ep, just leave it stock. Porsche got it right this time.
C
Old 05-04-2014, 01:33 AM
speed21
Banned

doc as i said before, I'm not pulling any trigger (yet)….and who knows I may never do, but am always curious to the mindset of the general population that has bought into this car. It's funny how time can change things and how impressions and expectations can change along the road of ownership iykwim. But you are dead right in that they sure made a good job out of this one! Someone in stuttgart must be reading the forums lol.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:36 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I know for a fact that they monitor the forums, ESP this one.
The car needs nothing, much to the chagrin of the am.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:39 AM
speed21
Banned

Yep, know what you mean on that doc. This new model has put a dark cloud over the future of a lot of the AM stuff imo….and to their displeasure I am sure. I know I would be concerned.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:58 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the Fabspeed full (headers, sport cats, x-pipe), and I'm happy w/ it. Not obnoxiously loud, but a monster on WOT and more aggressive off throttle burbling. There is a lot more discussion of the AM exhausts on 6speed, so you may want to check that out. The stock is very good, no doubt, but I wasn't going to turn down a free exhaust in exchange for a few weeks of development time in mid-winter. It's noticeably faster, as well, spooling the turbos quick. This is borne out by the dyno plots w/ gains of 30hp and 40tq. So essentially it should be at S performance levels now.

Unless Porsche can directly tie any issues to the exhaust, there won't be any warranty problems, hell most large Porsche dealers (including mine) sell and install exhausts themselves. Now ECU flashes on the other hand, that's definitely something you're rolling the dice with.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...w-reality.html
Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm sure this is a very subjective topic

I still haven't seen a definitive answer that going with AM exhaust will not invalidate the warranty...that would be a showstopper for some (many??) people I imagine.

I've driven the 997TT and have a 991TT. To my ears the sound of the 991 is night and day better. It's funny though. Below say 3.5k RPM in normal and sport mode the sounds is quiet and non-intrusive in the cabin -- seems good for day-to-day around town and the neighborhood. Above 4k RPM is sounds way more aggressive to me...in a really good way Of course in sport plus it holds the gear to the red line a lot...but you're going 70+ MPH in second so there's not much shifting action; at least on public roads Maybe that is telling me a need a shorter geared (GT3 anyone?? ) vehicle more than it indicates a need for AM exhaust.

Also my criteria are all about what it sounds like in the cabin. It's my daily driver and I drive it rather than stand around while others drive by me...exterior sound would seem to be about effect on others' ears while is more of a "don't care" for me personally. I find it odd that most of the videos with sound clips so far focus on exterior that you as driver most of the time never hear (and most of them seem to be recorded with pretty low bandwidth microphones so I wonder how representative those clips really are).

On balance, I'm personally pretty happy with stock...clips I've audited so far for AM haven't swayed me...perhaps I need to hear some in person or with better in-cabin recordings...that and knowing that my warranty doesn't immediate go bye-bye might tempt me to think about AM more seriously.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:13 PM
todo
Intermediate

There is a neat Capristo Valve open switch for the 458 Italia - all it does is that it opens the valve flaps on the 458 at low RPM giving the 458 the sound at low RPM as it on the high RPM.
You can open or close the flaps using the switch remotely and the switch costs 650 bucks plus install.
I my case unfortunately my dealer would not install stating warranty but I know many Ferrari dealers will install without a problem.
Since the 991 Turbo seems to be setup the same way as the 458 - to sound more aggressive at high RPM, it would be awesome if Capristo made a switch like this for the 991.
I would put such a mod in my 991 Turbo S cab in a heart beat as it does not mess with anything and only the valve stays open all the time instead of high RPM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:30 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just opened it up first time last night and ya, it isn't what my ZR1 was by any means but I was more than surprised with how mean it sounds stock. I'm leaving it alone. We gotta watch it up here, cause 50kms over and they take the car and your license. This car is just too hard to drive at the speed limit.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The fact that the op, the most ardent defender of europipe, is refraining from installing one speaks volumes.
Like I said, they all sound like crap, all.

Quick Reply: Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?