Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Davisville ETA is now tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
I am very much with Badknees on the custom order process. I got exactly what I wanted and do not mind the wait, which for me will be about three months.
That was my original reasoning, but now I'm seeing cars with all the options I want plus additional stuff being offered for less than what I agreed to pay. The main differences being 1) color (Ruby Red vs. white/gray/black) and 2) 2015 vs. 2014.

Model year I don't care about, given the lack of changes. It affects resale, but I tend to keep cars a long, long time, so it's negligible effect for me.

Color is a big deal, though I'm wondering if a wrap can fix that. I'm seeing quite a few gloss wraps that look like paint to me, though I do not understand the obsession with matte wraps, which look like cheap, badly done paint to me. One video shows changing a nice red 911 GT3 into a matte gray that looks like primer without clearcoat.

Not that I have any first hand experience with wraps, I've only seen internet photos. Color's a big enough deal that if it's not really comparable, I'd rather have have this painful wait and the right color than a car off the lot and a color I don't really want. I'm sure most others waiting here feel the same about their cars.

At this point, my wait for the Panamera looks to be between 4 months and 6. Depending on whether they finish before the August break. Since I have no idea why it's in limbo, I have no idea if that's likely or not.

Marine Traffic still has the California Highway heading SW, though slower, eating up some of the progress it made this morning.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Badknees
Racer

Gus, since you keep your cars for a long time, that to me is another reason to get exactly what you want. If you find it on the lot, great. But what's another month or two in the big scheme of things if you keep it for a long time? I don't know how much driving time you get in Boston - only you can set a value on getting it before winter sets in.

The California Highway is now 15 kts NE toward Davisville. Just one day late.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:03 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Matte Gray

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
That was my original reasoning, but now I'm seeing cars with all the options I want plus additional stuff being offered for less than what I agreed to pay. The main differences being 1) color (Ruby Red vs. white/gray/black) and 2) 2015 vs. 2014.

Model year I don't care about, given the lack of changes. It affects resale, but I tend to keep cars a long, long time, so it's negligible effect for me.

Color is a big deal, though I'm wondering if a wrap can fix that. I'm seeing quite a few gloss wraps that look like paint to me, though I do not understand the obsession with matte wraps, which look like cheap, badly done paint to me. One video shows changing a nice red 911 GT3 into a matte gray that looks like primer without clearcoat.

Not that I have any first hand experience with wraps, I've only seen internet photos. Color's a big enough deal that if it's not really comparable, I'd rather have have this painful wait and the right color than a car off the lot and a color I don't really want. I'm sure most others waiting here feel the same about their cars.

At this point, my wait for the Panamera looks to be between 4 months and 6. Depending on whether they finish before the August break. Since I have no idea why it's in limbo, I have no idea if that's likely or not.

Marine Traffic still has the California Highway heading SW, though slower, eating up some of the progress it made this morning.
Funny, but I have the same reaction to matte gray. I remember seeing '58 Mercury's and similar '50's cars with primer and aside from one's preference on appearance, my impression, as I have no direct experience, is that it is difficult to keep looking good and unsoiled.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:33 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Now we are talkin'. 168 knots. Should be there in an hour or so.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Badknees
But what's another month or two in the big scheme of things if you keep it for a long time?
Impatience! Lots and lots of impatience. Let he who is reading this thread who is without impatience cast the first lugnut.

There are really a variety of things that are contributing to my irrational reaction.

I kinda lust after some of the options I didn't buy on my car, because $102k already seemed like a lot. And now I'm seeing I could get those if I compromised on color.

I sold my '97 Supra TT back in May, and I've been without a car that's mine since then. I'm driving my wife's car. Which is... uh... also a '97 Supra TT, but there's a this-is-not-mine feel to it. The Cayman S that is arriving on the Florida Highway is also hers. This is obviously the silliest part.

The unexpected limbo in construction bothers me. Delays starting construction, delays getting on a ship, delays moving from port to dealership I expected. During construction, well. I don't know what to think of that.

I have some plans for September that call for a 4 seater, which we won't have if the Panamera doesn't arrive.

I know a lot of people don't drive performance cars in winter, but I do, so that's not really an issue. Snow tires are usually enough to deal with what's left on the roads here if they're in good shape, even with wide performance tires.

Last edited by Gus_Smedstad; 07-05-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 07-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enzom
Now we are talkin'. 168 knots.
Performance cars deserve a performance cargo carrier.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Badknees
Racer

168 - too bad he couldn't keep it there.

Do they even unload cars on a Sunday?

Once he leaves Davisville, I hope the next port is Brunswick.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Badknees
168 - too bad he couldn't keep it there.

Do they even unload cars on a Sunday?

Once he leaves Davisville, I hope the next port is Brunswick.

Moored in Davisville!

I posted a schedule in post 157. Next ship to go to Brunswick is the Florida Highway - scheduled to arrive on 7/12. The California Highway is heading to Houston. When it leaves Davisville tomorrow, Marinetraffic should post the next port. If something changed in the itinerary, I would imagine that is how we would know.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Badknees
Racer

Originally Posted by enzom
Moored in Davisville!

I posted a schedule in post 157. Next ship to go to Brunswick is the Florida Highway - scheduled to arrive on 7/12. The California Highway is heading to Houston. When it leaves Davisville tomorrow, Marinetraffic should post the next port. If something changed in the itinerary, I would imagine that is how we would know.
California docked. It should be going to Brunswick.
Florida Highway is now just outside Rhode Island.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

I was just looking at the Florida Highway's position, and I discovered a neat feature of the Marine Traffic website. If you pull up the map and right-click on the ship, that sets a waypoint. Left-clicking anywhere draws a line to the new point, with distance and ETA based on the ship's present speed. You can add additional waypoints by left clicking.

According to this, if the Florida Highway continues to dawdle at 14 knots, it will arrive in Davisville at 0200 GMT (2200 7/6 EDT), 3 hours ahead of schedule.

Also, you can see which dock the California Highway is using. There are two other transponders nearby, which turned out to be tugs. I guess RO ROs are ungainly enough to need them near dock.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Badknees
Racer

I wonder if there is room for both ships to unload cars at the same time, or will Florida have to wait for California to leave. Is Davisville a 24/7 cargo port? Today is Sunday ...
Old 07-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Name:  YOXtF2D.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  245.7 KB
Name:  n3v5afd.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  18.6 KB

Last edited by Gus_Smedstad; 07-06-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Added image of docked RO RO.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Badknees
Racer

Thanks, Gus. That answers that
Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember visiting a carrier in the early '70's at what is now a dedicated commercial facility so the main dock is huge, as the photos show. Very probably two ships could offload cars simultaneously.

Quick Reply: Support group for "waiting" anxiety