Sponsored by: Road Spy

Support group for "waiting" anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Badknees
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enzom
Good question. You can bet I will be hitting refresh on my ipad browser all day tomorrow.
lol!

I need to get a life.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Badknees
Racer

California Highway hasn't turned toward Davisville. Maybe the Captain is trying to go west near NY for safety then follow behind Arthur into RI.

edit: Turn on the wind layer and you can follow the center of Arthur and see wind speeds!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:14 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Badknees
California Highway hasn't turned toward Davisville. Maybe the Captain is trying to go west near NY for safety then follow behind Arthur into RI.

edit: Turn on the wind layer and you can follow the center of Arthur and see wind speeds!

Maybe they are going to head straight to Port Elizabeth and get my car to me sooner!
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2014, 07:25 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha! Cracking up at how big this thread has gotten. I was seriously going out of my mind when I started it. I ALWAYS do this. I ended up not being able to wait at all and bought a TTS cab off the showroom flloor and now have a GT3 due in November. We need a group discount on Xanax!-lol
Old 07-04-2014, 08:06 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, appears that CH went further west before turning north to avoid the center of the hurricane, although latest plot has it turning SW. Destination still DVV on the MT site. Sustained winds near vessel 29 kts, but sea state must be very snotty.

On Coldlist's post, I wonder how many waiters have signed on to this thread or for that matter, what percentage of TT/TTS owners and waiters are on this forum? No question about our intense interest in these cars.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Badknees
Racer

Originally Posted by AndrewP
No question about our intense interest in these cars.
My wife tells me I have Porschitis. Incurable.
California Highway is still heading west, going for the not-as-strong winds, I bet.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

My wife tells me I have Porschitis. Incurable. California Highway is still heading west, going for the not-as-strong winds, I bet.
She is turning!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Badknees
Racer

Heading back North.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Heading back North.
Nothing like an early summer hurricane to delay your new babies arrival. Sux!
Old 07-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

While I have no vested interest in the California Highway, looking at the plot is interesting. It very much gave Davisville a miss, and is now puttering away dead slow (2 knots) heading directly away from Davisville, after cruising back toward Davisville for 3 hours. I'm guessing the seas are a bit too rough for a car-carrier tub. It's sure not traffic causing the course change.

The California Highway could easily be in Davisville today if seas would permit, judging by distances and speeds, but clearly that's not going to happen. 7/6 at 4 AM EDT assumes about 8 hours waiting for weather, by my estimation.

The Floriday Highway, which has my wife's Cayman S, is not yet in range of shore tracking. It's due in Davisville at 1 AM EDT 7/7.

Speaking of Porschitis, I'm going slowly insane because my Panamera has been "under construction" for 24 days. I think they marked it as started and then lost the order.

I don't think I'm ever custom-ordering a car again. This has eaten up a huge amount of my mindshare for the last 3 months, and I'm now convinced that August will roll around, and the German month long holiday, and my car will still not be built.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
While I have no vested interest in the California Highway, looking at the plot is interesting. It very much gave Davisville a miss, and is now puttering away dead slow (2 knots) heading directly away from Davisville, after cruising back toward Davisville for 3 hours. I'm guessing the seas are a bit too rough for a car-carrier tub. It's sure not traffic causing the course change. The California Highway could easily be in Davisville today if seas would permit, judging by distances and speeds, but clearly that's not going to happen. 7/6 at 4 AM EDT assumes about 8 hours waiting for weather, by my estimation. The Floriday Highway, which has my wife's Cayman S, is not yet in range of shore tracking. It's due in Davisville at 1 AM EDT 7/7. Speaking of Porschitis, I'm going slowly insane because my Panamera has been "under construction" for 24 days. I think they marked it as started and then lost the order. I don't think I'm ever custom-ordering a car again. This has eaten up a huge amount of my mindshare for the last 3 months, and I'm now convinced that August will roll around, and the German month long holiday, and my car will still not be built.
The captain is making me nuts. 2 knots? Come on, man.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Badknees
Racer

Maybe he got a ticket for too fast for conditions. This is strange. If he needed to loiter, I thought he'd do it closer to Davisville.

Gus, hang in there. My order had some strange stuff going on, delayed, but whatever. I'm getting EXACTLY what I want. I don't have to talk myself into or out of an option, etc. just to get something off the lot.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enzom
The captain is making me nuts. 2 knots? Come on, man.
2 knots is good, because he's heading away from Davisville. I expect he's doing that because the waves are pretty serious for such a tubby ship, so he's turning bow-first into them to avoid getting swamped.

NWS says the seas in the area are roughly Sea State 5 right now. Specifically, 6-10' for significant waves, with the usual disclaimer that exceptional waves can be double that height.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Here is a interesting bit of reading, from a car-carrier ship captain talking about rolling in heavy seas. Much heavier than this, but still gives some insight into what the captain of the California Highway is probably thinking.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:48 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Parametric rolling

Very scary phenomenon. The crossing has certainly had drama for those with cars on the CH and very probably for the crew, who hopefully were not injured.

I am very much with Badknees on the custom order process. I got exactly what I wanted and do not mind the wait, which for me will be about three months.

Florida Highway ETA 1:00 a.m. Monday morning so I would expect it to be on the AIS grid soon, but it may well be that ETA's are as much a function of dock space as travel time. My recollection is that the initial MT ETA was a day later.

Quick Reply: Support group for "waiting" anxiety