Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What scan tool to bleed coolant?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 07:37 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default What scan tool to bleed coolant?!

What can I use to bleed the coolant system on a 991.2 TTS? I've had the thinkdiag and now the launch x431 ... Both advertised that I'd be able to do it but neither can (unless I just can't find the setting.... But I'm looking under special features)

Besides piwis, are there any other options? Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 08-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I looked on my launch x431 when I got it (~1 y ago) and it was not there. I have not looked since,, but I thought I saw an update for Porsche that mentioned it. Have you updated to the latest Porsche DIAG program?

I also noticed that the x431 does not do the oil fill process correctly for my 991.2 tts, it runs, brings it up to temp, but never shows a value after reading. I saw that was listed as fixed in an update too. Haven’t tried it since either.

i finally just flipped the purge valve open when it was cool, and went for a drive, when I got back the purge valve had flipped closed and I have not had any low coolant issues since. I think the dealer (non Porsche) flushed but did not do a proper purge/fill before me .. I was adding coolant in small amounts for 2-3 weeks .. went so far as to buy a new coolant tank … it is still in a box in my garage.

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; 08-25-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2024, 09:08 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rumble-Bee
I looked on my launch x431 when I got it (~1 y ago) and it was not there. I have not looked since,, but I thought I saw an update for Porsche that mentioned it. Have you updated to the latest Porsche DIAG program?

I also noticed that the x431 does not do the oil fill process correctly for my 991.2 tts, it runs, brings it up to temp, but never shows a value after reading. I saw that was listed as fixed in an update too. Haven’t tried it since either.

i finally just flipped the purge valve open when it was cool, and went for a drive, when I got back the purge valve had flipped closed and I have not had any low coolant issues since. I think the dealer (non Porsche) flushed but did not do a proper purge/fill before me .. I was adding coolant in small amounts for 2-3 weeks .. went so far as to buy a new coolant tank … it is still in a box in my garage.
Yeah I just opened the box a couple of hours ago and immediately did all the updates. There was one that actually stated coolant bleed ...did that one and a Porsche specific one. Still no options. I'll toy around with it some more and see if I can figure something out.

I tried to vac bleed the system and also let it idle with the valve up, but still overheats. Should I be leaving the cap off the coolant fill when I do that?
Old 08-25-2024, 11:47 PM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
Yeah I just opened the box a couple of hours ago and immediately did all the updates. There was one that actually stated coolant bleed ...did that one and a Porsche specific one. Still no options. I'll toy around with it some more and see if I can figure something out.

I tried to vac bleed the system and also let it idle with the valve up, but still overheats. Should I be leaving the cap off the coolant fill when I do that?
I don't know about leaving the cap off.

Be aware that the factory coolant temp gauge is a lie (as is the cake) due to the factory programming. It will display 194 degrees for all real temps between 176.5 and 230.5 F
More info on this here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1283...t-the-fix.html

See my spreadsheet image below for how to get real temps displayed.

On the coding front, check out the spreadsheet image I uploaded here for some things you might want to do: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1384...l#post19523446

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; 08-26-2024 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:08 AM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

I don't know about leaving the cap off.

Be aware that the coolant temp gauge is incorrect by factory programming. It will display 194 degrees for all real temps between 176.5 and 230.5 F
More info on this here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1283...t-the-fix.html

See my spreadsheet image below for how to get real temps displayed.

On the coding front, check out the spreadsheet image I uploaded here for some things you might want to do: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1384...l#post19523446
I didn't know that, but thought it was weird my car would all of a sudden jump up on the needle instead of of gradually going up. This makes sense now.

I have the thinkdiag and the x431 and was going to return both tomorrow haha... I don't think I dove deep enough into the thinkdiag. Would you recommend I keep it at this point? Any opinion on if it's better than the x431?
Old 08-26-2024, 12:16 AM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

I didn't know that, but thought it was weird my car would all of a sudden jump up on the needle instead of of gradually going up. This makes sense now.

I have the thinkdiag and the x431 and was going to return both tomorrow haha... I don't think I dove deep enough into the thinkdiag. Would you recommend I keep it at this point? Any opinion on if it's better than the x431?
I have no experience with the Thinkdiag, I only have the x431, I got it before I knew/heard about the Thinkdiag. I do not have an android tablet, so I would stick with the x431 anyway. I have used the x431 on 4 different cars (each a different mfg), It has done what is needed in each case, except for the Porsche oil fill and coolant bleed. I posted in the Thinkdiag thread because it is a Lanuch product and the coding specifics seems interchangeable.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:21 AM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

I have no experience with the Thinkdiag, I only have the x431, I got it before I knew/heard about the Thinkdiag. I do not have an android tablet, so I would stick with the x431 anyway. I have used the x431 on 4 different cars (each a different mfg), It has done what is needed in each case, except for the Porsche oil fill and coolant bleed. I posted in the Thinkdiag thread because it is a Lanuch product and the coding specifics seems interchangeable.
Ah gotcha. Since it was in the thinkdiag post I assumed that was the tool you used. Maybe I'll take some extra time tomorrow and explore the coding sections.

I sent a message directly to Launch asking about the 991.2 cooling bleed function and so far they only asked me "can you bleed it manually?" Lol....I told them I can but then I wouldn't need to tool -- still waiting for a response haha.

I did see that the x431 update specifically says bleeding the coolant is a new feature for the 992... So maybe 991s got skipped. Hopefully they can confirm it one way or another.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:26 AM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

At the very least fix the lying coolant gauge before you return them

Please return to this thread with update after/if you get a response from Launch.

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; 08-26-2024 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2024, 04:41 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

At the very least fix the lying coolant gauge before you return them

Please return to this thread with update after/if you get a response from Launch.
Spoke with launch, they said it doesn't exist and that if there's a manual way to bleed it, then I won't have the option.. but I've seen it done and have seen pics on here a long with YouTube videos... I got the new launch x431 pro in today and it literally has the feature built in if you dive into the settings... But when I click DME, special features, it's literally not an option.

​​​​​​I Went overboard and also ordered an autel mk808, which just came in a few min ago. I'm going to try that now.
With the x431 I found some actuators that I cycled for the coolant, but don't know if they actually work or did anything. I did manage to remap the coolant temp curve

Now that I did that, what temp should my car read at during normal conditions?

Last edited by Muuhaha; 08-27-2024 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 06:39 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

I'm on daddy duty but I'll run out in a minute to check .. the autel also says the feature is available. We'll see!!
Old 08-27-2024, 08:03 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Looks like we have a winner! Autel MK808s

Amazon link

I will say I liked the x431 pro version better...it seemed a lot faster. This is like the basic bare bones Autel scanner so a higher end one would probably be just as snappy. The original x431 was also the low model and was probably the worst. So it seems like maybe launch deleted the function for coolant bleeding somewhere along the lines. Unless I'm missing something --

So probably going to return the launches and the thinkdiag and keep the Autel...maybe upgrade to a better model, but the feature is there!!

Old 08-27-2024, 08:32 PM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Thanks for the updated information. Are “Short Tests” available under DME?

Normal temps vary for me. Normal and sport also behave differently by design, I was running 205-210 today in Sport mode. That is in 100 outdoor temp running down the highway.

IIRC Normal targets 215-220 to burn off condensation in the oil, while Sport/+ brings the 3rd radiator into the loop to target lower temps. 200-215.

Keep in mind the thermostat is electronically controlled too. And the control logic is different by driving mode.

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; 08-27-2024 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:27 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the updated information. Are “Short Tests” available under DME?

Normal temps vary for me. Normal and sport also behave differently by design, I was running 205-210 today in Sport mode. That is in 100 outdoor temp running down the highway.

IIRC Normal targets 215-220 to burn off condensation in the oil, while Sport/+ brings the 3rd radiator into the loop to target lower temps. 200-215.

Keep in mind the thermostat is electronically controlled too. And the control logic is different by driving mode.
I'm pretty sure I saw short tests on all of the scan tools. I briefly went into all of the menus just to see an overview of what they did -- don't remember what short test mentioned.

I couldn't run the coolant bleed all the way, for whatever reason my post radiator temps weren't going up, so I think I have a bubble in the radiator I replaced and it's not letting everything circ back. The sensor was reading 96* the whole time (33*C) even as my engine temps ran up to 220. I'm going to jack the rear of the car up and run it again, and if that doesn't work, re-vac the whole system again.

I'll keep my eye on the temps. I guess Porsche programmed it the way they did so that the needle stays in the middle of the analog gauge during all normal operating temps. Thanks for all the info!!
Old 08-28-2024, 12:42 AM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

I'm pretty sure I saw short tests on all of the scan tools. I briefly went into all of the menus just to see an overview of what they did -- don't remember what short test mentioned.
To get a more precise temp reading you might set water temp on the driver menu in MFD that way you have a digital number vs a needle. BTW: the remap you did affects BOTH the digital water temp display and the needle.

Short Tests can help getting emissions monitors to a "ready" state to pass smog. It can set non-defective I/M sensors to a "ready" without the impossible to get right drive cycle.

See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9459...l#post19575496

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; 08-28-2024 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2024, 01:11 AM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Did you do the bleed process with the vent/purge clip open? It is done that way when using PIWIS to trigger the process.

See the attachment in this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post15934092

Step 5.

Quick Reply: What scan tool to bleed coolant?!