Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smog check failed - complaining about EGR or VVT systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:00 AM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Take it to your local dealer and have them reset it.

I had to deal with this same EGR monitor error. Bought a pricey OBDII reader and would get up at sunrise multiple sunday mornings trying all different types of drive cycles while the roads were kind of empty. Huge pain in the *** and was unable to to get the EGR monitor to reset. Finally gave up and took it to my local dealer. They had it reset for me with in a couple hours. Charged me $130 i think. The dealer i bought the car from was very apologetic and refunded me the $130 plus the cost of the ODBII reader.

Edit: You would think part of CPOing a car, the dealer would take 10 minutes plug into the computer of the car and check for any emissions errors.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:02 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gave up on the drive cycle at 4AM after several run.

I'm schedule to bring it to the dealership on Thursday.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:58 PM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just scheduled an appointment with my dealership and they said there is a software update they need to do on the car along with a tank leak diagnostic service campaign on it which were all emissions related.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:21 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why are they charging to reset these? Emission is part of the new car warranty, don't get jack.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:39 AM
roberttran1985
Instructor

My car needed a software update and now passes smog.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:26 AM
hsiabooya
8th Gear

Had to deal with this exact situation last month (bought my car out of state CPOed wouldn't pass smog with EGR and/or VVT not being ready). I pinged the original dealer who was no help. Ended up taking to a local dealership they quoted $200 to set it. Ended up finding some real issues with the car that caused the monitor to not set. They ended up fixing that issue under warranty and waived the drive cycle cost. All is good now and I passed smog. Best of luck!
Old 08-28-2016, 01:04 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Originally Posted by hsiabooya
Had to deal with this exact situation last month (bought my car out of state CPOed wouldn't pass smog with EGR and/or VVT not being ready). I pinged the original dealer who was no help. Ended up taking to a local dealership they quoted $200 to set it. Ended up finding some real issues with the car that caused the monitor to not set. They ended up fixing that issue under warranty and waived the drive cycle cost. All is good now and I passed smog. Best of luck!
What was the issues with the car?
Old 08-28-2016, 02:17 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to pay $225 just for the inspection/reset....oh well..plus $80 for the smog certificate.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:15 PM
hsiabooya
8th Gear

My issue was a missing oil restricter that was somehow missing from the car. They suspect it was due from the x51 install the car previously had. It was kind of a nightmare type of situation as a new purchase of a rare car. They had it for 3 weeks until they figured out the exact issue.

The missing oil restricter wasn't problematic enough to throw an engine code but it did mess with the vario lift gate and caused the monitor to be not ready. In some ways it was fortunate for the car to be sold out of state (especially to CA where they require every retitled car to be resmogged).

Seeing that your issue was really due to a reset and not other issues is a good and fortunate outcome, it could be worse!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:39 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Originally Posted by hsiabooya
My issue was a missing oil restricter that was somehow missing from the car. They suspect it was due from the x51 install the car previously had. It was kind of a nightmare type of situation as a new purchase of a rare car. They had it for 3 weeks until they figured out the exact issue.

The missing oil restricter wasn't problematic enough to throw an engine code but it did mess with the vario lift gate and caused the monitor to be not ready. In some ways it was fortunate for the car to be sold out of state (especially to CA where they require every retitled car to be resmogged).

Seeing that your issue was really due to a reset and not other issues is a good and fortunate outcome, it could be worse!
Crazy. Good thing it was caught.

Quick Reply: smog check failed - complaining about EGR or VVT systems