Sponsored by: Road Spy

Built4L

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 10:52 PM
Payam
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Haha hey. Thanks for asking. Hobbling around and 80% I think. I was probably moving around a lot earlier than I should have but it’s all good. That sucked!

Super excited to get out to the event this weekend with the guys
Me too man, I can't wait. We're going to have a nice big crew with us!

Old 10-26-2022, 11:00 AM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

~ 1100 hp / 900 tq. Hmmm..... Looks slow

Last edited by jsbihn; 10-26-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:40 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by BMS
Alrighty, time to update this thread with some results and the final full breakdown of the mods done:

ACF TT Kit, Inconel 625 Manifolds, Garrett G30-770 Turbos, Tial 44mm MVR Wastegates.
ACF Titanium exhaust full 3.5" to quad tip, recirculated gates.
Evospec 4.0L Built Motor sleeved, forged rods and pistons. Stage 2 CNC ported head, SS intake valves, inconel exhaust valves, upgraded springs, larger cams.
Evospec/Radium Surge fuel tank system triple Walbro 525 pumps, -8AN lines, and regulator/return system.
Evospec Custom wiring harness for Motec extras.
Evospec Custom fire suppression system.
Dodson Clutches with billet oil pan and bracing.
By Design Billet Intake Manifold with Port injection, IDX 2600 injectors.
BMS Intercoolers with custom hydraflow clamps.
BMS Charge Y Pipe with dual Tial BOV with custom hydraflow clamps.
BMS Large turbo 4" intake filter.
BMS 2 Gallon Stealth Methanol Kit. (will need to be installed for cooling down IATs)
BBI Roll cage.
BBS FI-R (still need to order)
Syvecs AWD controller
Motec ECU system with Motec EGT to CAN module, Motec E888 expander for extra I/O all tuned by Wayne Potts (ISC Tuning)
Added extras for fine tuning and safety.
- LPFP Sensor
- Coolant Pressure Sensor
- 6 EGT sensors (1/cyl)
- 2 Back pressure sensors (1/bank)
- 2 Shaft Speed Sensors (1/turbo)

This car runs on full E85 but it has flex fuel map when needed in an emergency. All dyno runs are using pump E85 from the gas station.
Map 1 Red 18psi (WG spring)
Map 2 Blue 26psi
Map 3 Green 32psi
Map 4 Yellow 38psi (Maxing out the turbos)

Very cool to see what the modern 991 engines can do on a Motec ECU. Those are some serious numbers. Congrats! It's amazing how much power you can safely extract on the Motec.

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-13-2022 at 12:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Nikolov (11-12-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 01:58 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,029 Likes on 3,065 Posts

On the high power pull, I calculate that to be close to 1300hp at the crank; that is damn impressive.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:05 PM
moto_geek
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Great work and congrats on the milestone.. engine to handle 38 psi.. that's impressive. Looking forward to a draggy..
Old 11-17-2022, 03:01 PM
Payam
Instructor

Thank you all. Still has some fine tuning to do, otherwise it's pretty good on the streets etc.

Did a best of 184mph in the 1/2 mile on map 3 (1kwhp) which is actually pretty low IMO. Looking to my logs the IAT is the culprit unfortunately. After staging for about 20 minutes my IAT would hit about 150-160F starting the run, methanol would spray and it would go down to about 130F and come up to 180F+ at the end of the run. Wayne adjusted the methanol pump duty cycle to run more but it didn't make too much of a difference. The hot IAT would equal to lower timing as that's how it's mapped out. It was at about 20* vs 27* on the dyno. So I estimate that 1kwhp map was down on at least 150whp. I didn't turn it up to map 4 cause there was no point.

Next thing to do is to go air to liquid, that's the only way we can actually get the cold air we need with an icetank. The colder denser air with more timing will do the 195mph+ that I'm looking for and possibly a glory 200mph run.

Old 11-17-2022, 03:05 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,029 Likes on 3,065 Posts

184mph in a half mile - pretty low...

What a world we live in.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:06 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam
Thank you all. Still has some fine tuning to do, otherwise it's pretty good on the streets etc.

Did a best of 184mph in the 1/2 mile on map 3 (1kwhp) which is actually pretty low IMO. Looking to my logs the IAT is the culprit unfortunately. After staging for about 20 minutes my IAT would hit about 150-160F starting the run, methanol would spray and it would go down to about 130F and come up to 180F+ at the end of the run. Wayne adjusted the methanol pump duty cycle to run more but it didn't make too much of a difference. The hot IAT would equal to lower timing as that's how it's mapped out. It was at about 20* vs 27* on the dyno. So I estimate that 1kwhp map was down on at least 150whp. I didn't turn it up to map 4 cause there was no point.

Next thing to do is to go air to liquid, that's the only way we can actually get the cold air we need with an icetank. The colder denser air with more timing will do the 195mph+ that I'm looking for and possibly a glory 200mph run.
Very impressive !

Not that it really matters, due to your massive Mass Air Flow, but which brand ata are you using ?

AtW for the win. On my other car I can leave the line at 54F AIT on a 90F day. Pick up 30F at from 0 to 184mph.

You will love it.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:04 AM
Payam
Instructor

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Very impressive !

Not that it really matters, due to your massive Mass Air Flow, but which brand ata are you using ?

AtW for the win. On my other car I can leave the line at 54F AIT on a 90F day. Pick up 30F at from 0 to 184mph.

You will love it.
Using our BMS ones. Tested against the TIAL ones back in the day and saw no difference. There's just not enough air flow to cool these huge chunks of aluminum esp when they're sitting right above the turbo where heat rises.

Yes, I'm excited for A2L. I have two 1000hp Garrett cores waiting to go on. Just need to find some time to get it fabbed up and finished. No real rush at the moment cause my R8 build is underway right now and should be finished in a couple of weeks if all goes to plan.
The following 2 users liked this post by Payam:
fel1979 (11-20-2022), subaru335i (11-22-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 11:43 AM
Stage7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I love your build. Best of luck with all of your goals.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:50 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I feel like theres maybe something wrong with the meth. That makes no sense. I ran almost 194 last 1/2 in indiana at probably similar power and thats with rolling out and punching it right around 60, my IAT's from what I remember at the end of the pull were low like low 100s. Water to air is definitely the move but theres been plenty of cars that have gone over 195 and 200 without it. The only person I know how that has water to air is dave but hes going 214 prior to that all his pre 210 pulls were done with meth from what I remember. 180+ IAT's at the end of the 1/2 pull is what cars without meth have. Maybe theres an issue with the nozzles?

The following users liked this post:
mgz911 (11-23-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 10:21 PM
Payam
Instructor

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
I feel like theres maybe something wrong with the meth. That makes no sense. I ran almost 194 last 1/2 in indiana at probably similar power and thats with rolling out and punching it right around 60, my IAT's from what I remember at the end of the pull were low like low 100s. Water to air is definitely the move but theres been plenty of cars that have gone over 195 and 200 without it. The only person I know how that has water to air is dave but hes going 214 prior to that all his pre 210 pulls were done with meth from what I remember. 180+ IAT's at the end of the 1/2 pull is what cars without meth have. Maybe theres an issue with the nozzles?

https://youtu.be/hu3VN3dGcxo
Nah, they're just really small nozzles lol. Wayne doesn't like methanol so we dialed it back and went with the smallest nozzles I could. Two 5gph nozzles that flow very little. I know it's working because the IAT starts at 150 beginning of run, once I punch it and see methanol signal, it goes down to about 130 and slowly picks up back to 180 at the end of the run. I might play with adding two more of the same sized nozzles before the intercooler to see if it helps at all. I honestly don't like methanol either and wanted to do A2L from the beginning when I started the build, it's a proven concept that works much better for this application.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:56 AM
Nikolov
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I feel like you should be able to hit 200, or be very close to it, with your power levels. I've never tried a 1/2 mile run before, but If the weather here clears up this week, I might give it a try before I put the winter tires on.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:31 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Nah, they're just really small nozzles lol. Wayne doesn't like methanol so we dialed it back and went with the smallest nozzles I could. Two 5gph nozzles that flow very little. I know it's working because the IAT starts at 150 beginning of run, once I punch it and see methanol signal, it goes down to about 130 and slowly picks up back to 180 at the end of the run. I might play with adding two more of the same sized nozzles before the intercooler to see if it helps at all. I honestly don't like methanol either and wanted to do A2L from the beginning when I started the build, it's a proven concept that works much better for this application.
I agree A2W is the best for set pulls at the track or 1/2 mile, but I feel like its annoying for everyday random stuff. I had it a big ice tank and a giant intercooler with 2 1000 garrett cores in my ctsv. IAT's were amazing but random nightly mexico stuff it was annoying to have to drain it, go get ice, refill, ect. Most of the time, I'd just leave it be and while the IATS were still okay it wasnt as good meth or fresh ice. I think meth is plenty for regular street duty, and you already have it installed, might as well have it optimized. I think your math is on point with the car being down about 150 wheel, maybe a little less, so 850ish wheel to go 184.

Originally Posted by Nikolov
I feel like you should be able to hit 200, or be very close to it, with your power levels. I've never tried a 1/2 mile run before, but If the weather here clears up this week, I might give it a try before I put the winter tires on.
Takes about 1150ish-1200 to hit 200 in the 1/2 in reasonable conditions in a 991. Will go faster if you can put down a good 1/4 too, just rolling into it or taking off slowly seemed to lose too much momentum on my car.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:18 PM
Payam
Instructor

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
I agree A2W is the best for set pulls at the track or 1/2 mile, but I feel like its annoying for everyday random stuff. I had it a big ice tank and a giant intercooler with 2 1000 garrett cores in my ctsv. IAT's were amazing but random nightly mexico stuff it was annoying to have to drain it, go get ice, refill, ect. Most of the time, I'd just leave it be and while the IATS were still okay it wasnt as good meth or fresh ice. I think meth is plenty for regular street duty, and you already have it installed, might as well have it optimized. I think your math is on point with the car being down about 150 wheel, maybe a little less, so 850ish wheel to go 184.
I agree, it will be a pain in the *** but this car is already racecar and I rarely drive it on the street. I'll play a bit more with the WMI with Wayne to find the happy medium. I know he doesn't want to go bigger nozzles, so maybe adding two more before the IC would help. Another idea was to put water spray bar over the intercoolers and have the meth kit spray water over the intercoolers while doing runs. Everything is basically setup for it, just need to get the cooling bars from summit. Yes 850whp is exactly what I think the car was at for the 184mph runs. I'll post a video so you can see how I was rolling into second as fast as I could then punching it from there.

Quick Reply: Built4L