Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tuning Mods, Mods, Mods...How reliable

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020 | 06:01 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Default Tuning Mods, Mods, Mods...How reliable

I see all of these tuning mod posts and I'm curious. Seems like you can spend a lot of money for relatively modest gains in straight line performance, maybe 1/2 second in quarter mile, better dragy times, etc. Two questions. How reliable are they and how do they relate to track time versus straight line performance? I'm interested, but don't want to compromise reliability in an already powerful car. Better to mod suspension????
The following users liked this post:
isellpower (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020 | 06:45 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

The car is very robust and can take the heat as long as you follow directions of tuners with mods and fueling etc.

Best bang for your buck in power would be the JB4. Take a look and see for yourself:

BMS JB4 System for 991.1 and 991.2 TT/S
Old 10-27-2020 | 10:00 PM
Masonbrick
Rennlist Member

I won't touch my engine directly. I enjoy an HPDE every couple of weeks so my car is stock, except for the steel brake conversion....which the dealer installed for me.
I just don't have the guts to chance it
Old 10-27-2020 | 10:20 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
I see all of these tuning mod posts and I'm curious. Seems like you can spend a lot of money for relatively modest gains in straight line performance, maybe 1/2 second in quarter mile, better dragy times, etc. Two questions. How reliable are they and how do they relate to track time versus straight line performance? I'm interested, but don't want to compromise reliability in an already powerful car. Better to mod suspension????
gaining a half a second for a sub 11sec car isn’t modest! I cut a 1/2 second from upgrading my exhaust and a tune. As far as reliability I’ve had no issues, and car drives exactly the same. I don’t see or feel any difference at the track. It’ll definitely make you faster in straights. From what I’ve seen these cars are safe and reliable for sure until stage 3 (exhaust, headers, intercoolers and tune) But I believe even upgraded turbo cars have faired pretty well. But if your a full on track rat I’d probably focus on upgrading the suspension and add a exhaust/ tune later
Old 10-28-2020 | 03:22 AM
IMI A
Banned

These cars respond very well to tuning but a 991 turbo s does not need it. If you guys kept your cars stock longer you'll see that this car punches well above its weight in the right conditions. You need a bit of cool air and good pump gas not the rubbish they give you poor guys in US. A stock 991.2 turbo s cab runs 0-300kph in 24 secs (repeatable have the VBOX file) on regular V Power 99 pump fuel. 0-100kph in 2.6 secs. Standing quarter in 10.5 secs at 134mph. But you know these headline stats are misleading. Take the car on a road course and it will perform like a 80s group B WRC rally car. Anyone needs to go faster than that crazy extra power is addictive
The following 2 users liked this post by IMI A:
Alan MacKenzie (11-08-2020), Fam8 (12-02-2020)
Old 10-28-2020 | 10:27 AM
AIM Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IMI A
Standing quarter in 10.5 secs at 134mph.
Have not seen many cars do this stock. none in person in fact. Most are in 10.7-10.8 range with decent grip and 130mph trap.
Old 10-28-2020 | 11:21 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AIM Performance
Have not seen many cars do this stock. none in person in fact. Most are in 10.7-10.8 range with decent grip and 130mph trap.
My 2019 991.2 TTS ran 10.4 at 131mph bone stock. Nanook and VTKNIGHT ran as good or better. But all are 2019 models.
TtimeS (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020 | 11:24 AM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
My 2019 991.2 TTS ran 10.4 at 131mph bone stock. Nanook and VTKNIGHT ran as good or better. But all are 2019 models.
which is the variable correct? That possibly ‘19 tune being the same as the exclusive. Mine stock on dragy ran 10.7@131.16. Traction wasn’t there but trap was.
Old 10-28-2020 | 11:47 AM
lituoklis88
Advanced

To some of us, modding is a lifestyle.
Some people say your ruining cars by doing so. Frankly, i dont give a flyin F, what people think. I love modding my cars, and then feeling the difference. Sometimes big, sometimes none at all.
I love getting a quality made parts, and examining it makes me feel some type of way. I also work on all my cars, and Porsche is one of the easiest cars I ever had the pleasure working on.

Best part of the car is hands down the cornering capability, but most of us probably don't track our turbos. So showing it off to your boys goes a long way

Im stage 3 with 80k on the clock. No issues whatsoever. (991.1)
The following 2 users liked this post by lituoklis88:
Agentorange (10-29-2020), AirBusPilot (11-05-2020)
Old 10-28-2020 | 12:02 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TtimeS
which is the variable correct? That possibly ‘19 tune being the same as the exclusive. Mine stock on dragy ran 10.7@131.16. Traction wasn’t there but trap was.
Trap definitely shows the power is there. A 1.55 sixty would get it.
TtimeS (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020 | 12:02 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lituoklis88
Some people say your ruining cars by doing so. Frankly, i dont give a flyin F, what people think. I love modding my cars, and then feeling the difference. Sometimes big, sometimes none at all.
I love getting a quality made parts, and examining it makes me feel some type of way. I also work on all my cars, and Porsche is one of the easiest cars I ever had the pleasure working on.

Best part of the car is hands down the cornering capability, but most of us probably don't track our turbos. So showing it off to your boys goes a long way

80K and stage 3.......WELL DONE !!
Old 10-28-2020 | 12:22 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
When one considers the size of the engineering department Porsche supports to develop, maintain and evolve the turbo, then compares it to the average tuner, it can be hard to get your mind around maintaining ongoing reliability when you venture outside of the core engineering that brought you the car in your driveway.

There are some here, and in other forums, that will only modify their cars with Porsche parts, race, GT, and so forth. These are folks that want the best in engineering - the best that Porsche offers, and cost is not prohibitive.

And then, there is the aftermarket. Natural selection effectively removes those that slap together solutions without proper engineering, testing and support behind them. The problem with those guys is the cost associated with you providing your car as a test bed; when it breaks, you're on the hook. A most unpleasant (and costly) experience indeed.

And then there are those engineers and aftermarket shops that really go the extra mile and test, support and maintain relationships with you throughout the process. I think it would be a little naive of anyone venturing into the aftermarket thinking that when you crank your turbo up to 900hp that it will maintain the same reliability as it did stock, but there is also balance associated with certain mod risks that will, for the most part, maintain drivability and reliability while giving you an extra kick in the pants.

Moderation is an individual choice, and if the risks are acceptable, jump in head first. If not, take it slow.

For me personally, I actually like the fact the car is under warranty. I have changed the suspension by lowering the car, added some extra aero bits from the GT class cars, an air filter, some grills, and an exhaust coming soon. And recently, after two years of ownership, I had a chance to take it back out on the highway for a 2000km road trip. I realized, what you noted in that this turbo goes from zero to jail (at least in BC) in mere seconds, so my driving style has changed to accommodate these changes and I am now more about running a good speed average over distance than absolute top speed or acceleration.

But, everyone is different...
the_buch (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020 | 12:45 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

I agree. At a Stage 3 level, I feel we are only making what Porsche designed better, not radically changing it. Opening up the breathing through intake and exhaust upgrades, adding extra efficiency in cooling with larger intercoolers which allow less heat soak and lower Input Air Temperatures and then taking advantage of those changes through tuning for more boost(like enabling over boost all the time) or boost/timing curve changes to take advantage of 93 or higher octane, etc.

Porsche like all OEM manufacturers needed to compromise production cars for emissions, exhaust/turbo noise, octane available across the world. Knowing I will always use 93 octane and knowing I actually like the sound of the turbos spooling and diverter valve purging and a loud exhaust when I get into it, allows me to make my Porsche custom to my needs vs. standard to the masses. Plus with a scanner like Cobb, you can keep your eye on the results to make sure the fueling(AFR) and timing(cylinder intervention), IAT’s, Boost, are good, and you are not damaging the engine.

I just came back from a 200 mile drive in the North Carolina mountains, and the car never ran better. When I go to sell her, if someone else wants a stock version, I have all the parts and OEM tune to return the car to stock condition if the new owner desires. But who said anything about selling it 😀
Big Swole (11-13-2020)
Old 10-28-2020 | 12:48 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

I agree. At a Stage 3 level, I feel we are only making what Porsche designed better, not radically changing it. Opening up the breathing through intake and exhaust upgrades, adding extra efficiency in cooling with larger intercoolers which allow less heat soak and lower Input Air Temperatures and then taking advantage of those changes through tuning for more boost(like enabling over boost all the time), or boost/timing curve changes to take advantage of 93/93+ octane, etc.

Porsche like all OEM manufacturers needed to compromise production cars for emissions, exhaust/turbo noise, octane available across the world. Knowing I will always use 93 octane and knowing I actually like the sound of the turbos spooling and diverter valve purging and a loud exhaust when I get into it, allows me to make my Porsche custom to my needs vs. standard to the masses. Plus with a scanner like Cobb, you can keep your eye on the results to make sure the fueling(AFR) and timing(cylinder intervention), IAT’s, Boost, are good, and you are not damaging the engine.

I just came back from a 200 mile drive in the North Carolina mountains, and the car never ran better. When I go to sell her, if someone else wants a stock version, I have all the parts and OEM tune to return the car to stock condition. But who said anything about selling it 😀

Last edited by Ttz06vette; 10-28-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2020 | 07:59 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

I'm currently stage 2, 100 octane.

Stage 3 with Sambo is coming soon...zero concerns about reliability or issues at that level.

Originally Posted by IMI A
You need a bit of cool air and good pump gas not the rubbish they give you poor guys in US
Rubbish. We get good gas here...right down the road from me (thankfully).

The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJB:
Archille (10-29-2020), IMI A (10-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Tuning Mods, Mods, Mods...How reliable