Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tuning Mods, Mods, Mods...How reliable

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020 | 02:21 AM
IMI A
Banned

Originally Posted by KBS911
To be more specific I just want to know what the limit is before you run into mechanical/engine issues. How much is too much, and since I track my cars (PCA instructor) what is the point of no return versus application of power on the track versus straight line QTR mile/Dragy time? I see folks getting 700-900 hp and getting incredible straight line performance, but what is the sweet spot?
A good free flowing exhaust, quality aerospace intercoolers and a good tune is the sweet spot. Only needs mild tuning for track. Will still get you another 100PS + reliably. Brake are an issue even on stock power on track so you need to upgrade these too I manage to get the brake pedal soft in circa three hard laps of a faster circuit like Bedford Autodrome GT circuit . I've seen friends go straight through corners in 991 on a fast lap when on the brakes! Brand new cars too. I think the front brakes on 992 are bigger improvement than power in many ways. Incredible 10 piston calipers.
Old 11-03-2020 | 05:07 AM
PorscheJN
Instructor

Originally Posted by IMI A
A good free flowing exhaust, quality aerospace intercoolers and a good tune is the sweet spot. Only needs mild tuning for track. Will still get you another 100PS + reliably. Brake are an issue even on stock power on track so you need to upgrade these too I manage to get the brake pedal soft in circa three hard laps of a faster circuit like Bedford Autodrome GT circuit . I've seen friends go straight through corners in 991 on a fast lap when on the brakes! Brand new cars too. I think the front brakes on 992 are bigger improvement than power in many ways. Incredible 10 piston calipers.
Sorry for going little off topic but who makes aerospace intercooler?
Old 11-03-2020 | 07:43 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

I did a lot of research after buying my 17 tts before modding the car, one name kept coming up more times than anyone elses name, that was Sam at By Design, never heard the name before, so I picked up the phone and called him, several times, each time getting more info on what I was looking for, not someone trying to sell me something. There was not a COBB tune out for my car at the time, so I sent the car to Sam, for tuning, intercoolers, headers, exhaust, intake, dyno'd each mod, that was 2 1/2 years ago, and I am still as happy as I was then today, the car is lightning fast and not one issue. Not sure if your roads are really good or really bad, where I live and drive the roads are terrible, so I installed a DSC controller for the suspension and the difference was NIGHT AND DAY, made rough roads much smoother and made the car WAY more fun to drive and handle even better on all roads.
The following users liked this post:
AirBusPilot (11-05-2020)
Old 11-03-2020 | 09:51 AM
IMI A
Banned

Originally Posted by PorscheJN
Sorry for going little off topic but who makes aerospace intercooler?
I'd use these for track. They can be adapted for 991 turbo s.
Facebook Post
Old 11-03-2020 | 10:30 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IMI A
I'd use these for track. They can be adapted for 991 turbo s. https://www.facebook.com/NineExcelle...23640164315016
I'm sure they are nice......but $10,400 US dollars nice........????!!!?????
The following users liked this post:
BMS (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020 | 10:32 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That is very rich for a pair of intercoolers.
Old 11-03-2020 | 10:33 AM
Bruce H.
Racer

I see all of these tuning mod posts and I'm curious. Seems like you can spend a lot of money for relatively modest gains in straight line performance, maybe 1/2 second in quarter mile, better dragy times, etc. Two questions. How reliable are they and how do they relate to track time versus straight line performance? I'm interested, but don't want to compromise reliability in an already powerful car. Better to mod suspension????
You're a PCA instructor who wants to track this car and obviously know the trade-offs in reliability that many track rats have experienced on different platforms when modding for more power. You know techniques for improving lap times start with improving driver skill level, track tires, alignment and suspension, and weight reduction. And you know that the most important thing when you take your car to the track is that it will be dead reliable, all day, every track day. You're not wrong!

Most race track test reviewers state that the last thing the 911 Turbo needs is more power...and they're not wrong either. When Randy Pobst and Jethro Bovington can match or beat GT3RS times of the same generation on two different tracks, and on street alignment and tires vs track spec for the GT cars, you know two things...that the Turbo on track should obviously have track tires and alignment, and it has an excess of power to level the field given those two major handicaps. Weight reduction rounds out the list of low hanging fruit.

There's no shortage of expertise here to guide you to adding more power, but that seems like a consideration for way down the road unless you change your priorities. Most involve opening up the exhaust. Staying within track noise limits is a consideration that seems to be more common and stringent, at least at some tracks I frequent. I track a stock exhaust Viper that just squeaks under the limits but 911 GTs and Turbos with PDK have to lift as they pass the sound meters to avoid a full throttle upshift. One track moves around the sound meters to defeat that practice. Sucks large to end any track day early for any reason!

The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
KBS911 (11-04-2020), KONG991TT (11-03-2020), Masonbrick (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020 | 11:22 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
I'd rather spend that on a set of BBK's!

To be more specific I just want to know what the limit is before you run into mechanical/engine issues. How much is too much, and since I track my cars (PCA instructor) what is the point of no return versus application of power on the track versus straight line QTR mile/Dragy time? I see folks getting 700-900 hp and getting incredible straight line performance, but what is the sweet spot?
Thanks for clarifying. Reliably, 650hp on stock turbos for track duty (that's about what I'm running with a full Kline Inconel setup, Cat delete, Cobb, and CSF intercoolers). Your problem will be keeping everything cool and preventing the car from pulling boost lap after lap over 30 minute sessions. Options would be to run larger turbos for better efficiency and meth to help lower combustion if you want to track the car with 900hp but I'd imagine that might be to a point where's just a pain in the *** to drive. Sam can help you get there if you want big power and give you a tune that'll allow to whip the horse repeatedly over 30 minute sessions without it bucking you off (a great analogy by him!).

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
You're a PCA instructor who wants to track this car and obviously know the trade-offs in reliability that many track rats have experienced on different platforms when modding for more power. You know techniques for improving lap times start with improving driver skill level, track tires, alignment and suspension, and weight reduction. And you know that the most important thing when you take your car to the track is that it will be dead reliable, all day, every track day. You're not wrong!

Most race track test reviewers state that the last thing the 911 Turbo needs is more power...and they're not wrong either. When Randy Pobst and Jethro Bovington can match or beat GT3RS times of the same generation on two different tracks, and on street alignment and tires vs track spec for the GT cars, you know two things...that the Turbo on track should obviously have track tires and alignment, and it has an excess of power to level the field given those two major handicaps. Weight reduction rounds out the list of low hanging fruit.

There's no shortage of expertise here to guide you to adding more power, but that seems like a consideration for way down the road unless you change your priorities. Most involve opening up the exhaust. Staying within track noise limits is a consideration that seems to be more common and stringent, at least at some tracks I frequent. I track a stock exhaust Viper that just squeaks under the limits but 911 GTs and Turbos with PDK have to lift as they pass the sound meters to avoid a full throttle upshift. One track moves around the sound meters to defeat that practice. Sucks large to end any track day early for any reason!
^^^This
Old 11-03-2020 | 11:41 AM
IMI A
Banned

Talking

He did ask

I agree with the instructors power not needed. Ridiculous already but try a 992
Old 11-03-2020 | 03:24 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

A methanol kit would work so much better at 1/10th of the cost LOL

-Payam
Old 11-03-2020 | 03:56 PM
Kapoosh1
Advanced

Shameless plug below but I had a Cobb with PDK Map on my 991.1 Turbo and enjoyed it immensely. Power numbers aside, It totally transformed the car from a fun to drive aspect.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1218218

Old 11-04-2020 | 06:38 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

I think you hit the nail on the head! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2020 | 11:06 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Very good points. Now that we know the context of how you use the TTS, it puts things in perspective. Its one thing to mod your car for street, around town driving. Its different when you are considering track. Handling and reliability and weight are the more important considerations vs. power. So focus there . Once your done with that, and have the car down, you could add a little power without impacting reliability.
Old 11-04-2020 | 05:27 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input everyone, and the well considered responses! It helped. I think I'll hold off on the power mods for now. My TTS is indeed faster on the track, for me at least, than my 16 RS and 19 GT3. I have already lowered the car with GMG springs and added Forgeline wheels with Cup 2's, alignment, and of course SRF brake fluid. These cars really are amazing!
The following 2 users liked this post by KBS911:
KONG991TT (11-05-2020), Miatavi (07-05-2023)
Old 11-04-2020 | 07:16 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Thanks for the input everyone, and the well considered responses! It helped. I think I'll hold off on the power mods for now. My TTS is indeed faster on the track, for me at least, than my 16 RS and 19 GT3. I have already lowered the car with GMG springs and added Forgeline wheels with Cup 2's, alignment, and of course SRF brake fluid. These cars really are amazing!
Nice! Did you max stock suspension camber, or use lower control arms, and what camber are you running? I'm sure you've read the Tracking a Turbo thread where they got into weight reduction. You should be clearly quicker than a 991.2 RS as well with equal driver. A track buddy sold his '19 TTS and bought a new GT2RS. He feels it's too on edge for him and is considering a 991.2 GT3RS but I really think he might be better off with a light spec'd 992.1 TS with track tires and alignment. Never a dull moment!

Quick Reply: Tuning Mods, Mods, Mods...How reliable