Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 07:40 PM
dbhajek
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Installed this at lunch. Test drives after dinner!

Looking forward to the review.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:38 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dbhajek
Looking forward to the review.
I installed mine about 18 months ago after having one in a 997.2 Turbo S and loving it. Installation is super easy, even easier than the 997, and probably about 5 minutes if you're careful. On the road, normal feels a lot more supple with much better damping overall, less porpoising on rough roads and a more supple ride overall with what I suspect is aggressive rebound with more relaxed compression damping. With PDCC I didn't really notice any effect on cornering attitude which was near perfect, but I will say that Sport mode is now an easy choice as the ride is often better than normal. Haven't taken the car to the track yet but I think a huge bang for buck update. German hardware with American software is a match made in heaven.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:10 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
You and me both - mine are pretty much identical to the ones I took off - yours are different?

Mine are different. I got them from Suncoast. Called them and they said they are the correct OEM parts. They look OK - but the new clears are "thicker" and not flush with the car. See pics. Is this right?
Old 05-13-2020, 11:32 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky

Mine are different. I got them from Suncoast. Called them and they said they are the correct OEM parts. They look OK - but the new clears are "thicker" and not flush with the car. See pics. Is this right?
They should be flush like the orange lens. Mine are. Make sure they are seated properly. Take care with the receiver groove in the back.
The following users liked this post:
rodsky (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:00 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
They should be flush like the orange lens. Mine are. Make sure they are seated properly. Take care with the receiver groove in the back.
agreed, I don’t think they are installed right.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:49 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

agreed, I don’t think they are installed right.
I dont think thats it. Look at the difference in thickness of the lenses. I called Suncoast and they said i have the right part. But the new lens is much thicker.. So i question - whether this is indeed the right part..

Any update on your Cobb?

Old 05-13-2020, 01:51 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,124 Likes on 3,121 Posts

That is a little weird - mine are definitely flush to the body - perhaps for a different model?
Old 05-13-2020, 02:24 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

I dont think thats it. Look at the difference in thickness of the lenses. I called Suncoast and they said i have the right part. But the new lens is much thicker.. So i question - whether this is indeed the right part..

Any update on your Cobb?
If I recall correctly, Suncoast has two clear lenses available. One that's an LED and one that appears to have a bulb in it.

LED: LED Flavor

Bulb: Non LED Flavor

The LED ones are about $120 and the others are about $70. Do you remember what you paid?
rodsky (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 02:51 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

As a quick update on my DSC installation, I did get a chance to drive it shortly before the storms hit here. Just like my experience with the 997tt, I consider this to be a must do mod. The impact for me on the 991tts is lesser than the 997tt because I haven't lowered my car yet. However, much of the annoying porpoising is gone and the car is more refined. I think anyone with lowered springs should consider this mandatory.

I still don't quite understand how it works at the moment, I have to admit.

Normal is Normal
Does Sport have enhancements on the DSG?
Does Sport +?
Or does the suspension only firm up with you press the PDCC?
Old 05-13-2020, 02:58 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As a quick update on my DSC installation, I did get a chance to drive it shortly before the storms hit here. Just like my experience with the 997tt, I consider this to be a must do mod. The impact for me on the 991tts is lesser than the 997tt because I haven't lowered my car yet. However, much of the annoying porpoising is gone and the car is more refined. I think anyone with lowered springs should consider this mandatory.

I still don't quite understand how it works at the moment, I have to admit.

Normal is Normal
Does Sport have enhancements on the DSG?
Does Sport +?
Or does the suspension only firm up with you press the PDCC?
It is smarter than both of us and uses (I suspect) an on board acceleromter package to monitor, and then adjust (in real time I believe) the shock valving in order to improve suspension functionality. In order for it to work as well as it does, a very clever software guy has built an algorithm that works very well in controlling the shocks - as it improves 'comfort' driving, and makes the 'track' guys happy with improved precision.

I think, I also may be wrong...
Old 05-13-2020, 03:07 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

If I recall correctly, Suncoast has two clear lenses available. One that's an LED and one that appears to have a bulb in it.

LED: LED Flavor

Bulb: Non LED Flavor

The LED ones are about $120 and the others are about $70. Do you remember what you paid?
Mystery solved - i think. I must have ordered the non-LED side marker.. Are the LED ones "thinner". I can hopefully return and get the LED ones..
Old 05-13-2020, 03:25 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Mystery solved - i think. I must have ordered the non-LED side marker.. Are the LED ones "thinner". I can hopefully return and get the LED ones..
Yep, they are thinner!
Old 05-13-2020, 05:14 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Yep, they are thinner!
THANKS! It was driving me nuts
CincyScott (05-13-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 04:29 PM
keef95
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
I installed mine about 18 months ago after having one in a 997.2 Turbo S and loving it. Installation is super easy, even easier than the 997, and probably about 5 minutes if you're careful. On the road, normal feels a lot more supple with much better damping overall, less porpoising on rough roads and a more supple ride overall with what I suspect is aggressive rebound with more relaxed compression damping. With PDCC I didn't really notice any effect on cornering attitude which was near perfect, but I will say that Sport mode is now an easy choice as the ride is often better than normal. Haven't taken the car to the track yet but I think a huge bang for buck update. German hardware with American software is a match made in heaven.
I've ordered one of these controllers as well. Waiting for it to arrive but after reading many of your reviews I'm likely more excited about this mod than I was the other mods I've done!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:31 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am thinking this may be my next project for the 991 - seems to get nothing but good reviews.
keef95 (05-14-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?