Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 06:48 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS_GG

Akropovic exhaust installed. Significant weight reduction, and sounds incredible.
Can you tell me if you get any drone at all on the freeway when just cruising at 65-75? I am looking at a turbo s that already has an Akrapovic exhaust installed .
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2019, 10:07 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

First Kalifornia SMOG check done, so Gavin Gruesome Newsome has more money to squander...

Smog tech tried to look in the frunk for the engine, lol. Then he proceeds to ask me how he can get to the engine to do his visual check (to ensure the airbox/intake, etc are all stock). SMH, I assured him everything was stock told him he can look underneath the rear to check that the OEM cats are there and that's about it. He didn't look for anything at that point...promptly passed me and sent me on my way.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:50 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,124 Likes on 3,121 Posts

We used to have that here; it was called Air Care.

The easiest way to avoid Air Care was to insure your vehicles for use out of the Air Care regions (Metro Vancouver) - worked fine, never had to Air Care.

Can't you guys do something similar?
Old 12-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Had a Soul Performance Exhaust put in at Sleepers Speed Shop.

The following 2 users liked this post by Diamond Dog:
MotoJB (12-27-2019), WheelsB (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 09:02 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
We used to have that here; it was called Air Care.

The easiest way to avoid Air Care was to insure your vehicles for use out of the Air Care regions (Metro Vancouver) - worked fine, never had to Air Care.

Can't you guys do something similar?
Here in CA, they force you do do it every 2 years with cars like this.

Sure you can register elsewhere but my rentals happen to be in counties that also have SMOG.

I need to register the car with a buddy's address in another smog-free CA county...or do the Montana LLC and register/insure the car to the LLC there and be done with CA SMOG once and for all.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:03 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Diamond Dog
Had a Soul Performance Exhaust put in at Sleepers Speed Shop.

The verdict after some time in the car?

Sound quality? Turbo spool? Drone?

Old 12-27-2019, 10:24 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by MotoJB
The verdict after some time in the car?

Sound quality? Turbo spool? Drone?
The sound is changed for the better, but I wish it was louder. It's a deeper sound, but not like a muscle car sound. Really good tone. There is no drone and with the windows rolled up, it's a subtle difference in volume. I have only heard it ideling, and it sounds like "how you imagine it should have been in the first place" vs "jumping back as it's so loud". This exhaust is for someone that wants a refined sound and not someone who wants a "track sound". Really surprised at lack of drone. Increase in turbo spool sound is there. Pretty dramatic increase in pops and gurgles. Pops are not sharp and obnoxious which I appreciate.

I think the price point is great and the shop didn't charge me much (half of what other shops quoted) and they were so insanely careful with my car.

Maybe it's my lack of refinement, or maybe it's because my hearing is s*it now, but I wish it was a bit more obnoxious and louder. But I am happy and I could always replace the cats with their sport cats to make it louder. My wife who loves a good sounding exhaust says if I make it louder it will be "douchebaggery" and said my hearing is going out.

Talked tomthe guys at Soul before purchase and they were really nice and spent a ton of time with me

This is the video I blame for making me pull the trigger and i wrote to the video maker and blamed him for making me spend more money as I waffled on this for a few months. He has it on a Naturally Aspjrated 3.4 I believe, base model.

Last edited by Diamond Dog; 12-27-2019 at 10:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Diamond Dog:
Lance 4c (12-28-2019), MotoJB (12-28-2019), WheelsB (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

The sound is changed for the better, but I wish it was louder. It's a deeper sound, but not like a muscle car sound. Really good tone. There is no drone and with the windows rolled up, it's a subtle difference in volume. I have only heard it ideling, and it sounds like "how you imagine it should have been in the first place" vs "jumping back as it's so loud". This exhaust is for someone that wants a refined sound and not someone who wants a "track sound". Really surprised at lack of drone. Increase in turbo spool sound is there. Pretty dramatic increase in pops and gurgles. Pops are not sharp and obnoxious which I appreciate.

I think the price point is great and the shop didn't charge me much (half of what other shops quoted) and they were so insanely careful with my car.

Maybe it's my lack of refinement, or maybe it's because my hearing is s*it now, but I wish it was a bit more obnoxious and louder. But I am happy and I could always replace the cats with their sport cats to make it louder. My wife who loves a good sounding exhaust says if I make it louder it will be "douchebaggery" and said my hearing is going out.

Talked tomthe guys at Soul before purchase and they were really nice and spent a ton of time with me

This is the video I blame for making me pull the trigger and i wrote to the video maker and blamed him for making me spend more money as I waffled on this for a few months. He has it on a Naturally Aspjrated 3.4 I believe, base model.
Can you do a before and after video to get a realistic sound comparison on a turbo car?

Typically, a turbo car will sound completely different than a N/A car... the turbos themselves act as a muffler 😐 While my car is on its way to looking like a GT car, I’m afraid that it will never sound like one... ☹️
Old 12-28-2019, 09:10 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by miky360
No specific reason. Just so happen to find one before a cup lol. Looking to get the tow hook though. THAT is a beautiful small detail

Picked it up today . Needs a serious wash lol
Looks great! If you dont mind me asking what did the dealer charge for the install?
Old 12-28-2019, 09:23 AM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

No specific reason. Just so happen to find one before a cup lol. Looking to get the tow hook though. THAT is a beautiful small detail

Picked it up today . Needs a serious wash lol
This is so beautiful!
Looks like we are going to be twinning soon!
Agate Gray FTW!!!

Old 12-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

🤤🤤🤤

Mike

I’ve been doing a lot of research on several cars regarding downforce and how to best implemented into our cars. Cars that we have access to at the shop are GT3 Cup, GT3R and GT2RS Clubsport. At first I really wanted to see if I could get the 3R to work as I loved the look. However, my guys are advising against it since the rear wing works in conjunction with the large rear diffuser and large front air dam. The rear would be extremely difficult to get to work and generate tons of heat related issues. Spoke to Sam as well regarding their Pikes Peak car and he said they struggled with that setup burning many diffusers after 10min of track time.

That let us to focus on the Clubsport. We are going to be building all CF parts including
- Rear Bumper (which will likely include Clubsport Intercoolers and water mister system)
- Rear decklid and Wing
- Rear diffuser (very similar to a standard 2RS)
- Front hood with all of the cooling duct work for breaks and front radiator

We are taking advantage on the fact that the owner is getting extra parts for his car and we can then share costs of molding etc. all parts will be of equal or better quality than OEM. The guys does all of the work for most race teams in the east coast.

the rear bumper and wing is saving me 38lbs alone vs an RS wing and TT bumper.

if you are interested send me a PM. There are a couple of us jumping on this opportunity
Old 12-28-2019, 12:06 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gixxerboy63
Can you do a before and after video to get a realistic sound comparison on a turbo car?

Typically, a turbo car will sound completely different than a N/A car... the turbos themselves act as a muffler 😐 While my car is on its way to looking like a GT car, I’m afraid that it will never sound like one... ☹️
Exhaust is already in. I think we all can agree that the stock exhaust sound is horrible and anything is an improvement. Lots of YouTube videos with this exhaust and others. I have read a lot of commentary on the forums about fabspeeds exhaust being too loud, so it may fit the bill for people, that want a really loud Exhaust
Old 12-28-2019, 01:13 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

This is the video I blame for making me pull the trigger and i wrote to the video maker and blamed him for making me spend more money as I waffled on this for a few months. He has it on a Naturally Aspjrated 3.4 I believe, base model. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLIAtk_XLcc

Good input, thanks...and pretty nmuch what I had concluded when listening to Soul systems for the 991 turbo in my research. It appears they make their systems with a total of four resonators built into their xpipe design. Cats plus resonators would be why they are deeper, more muted and less obtrusive sounding. They are nice systems and pricing is good but I wanted to opt for something more aggressive.

In my case, I am going catless SpeedTech x-pipe and will see how it is. It'll most certainly be aggressive. No cats, no resonators. In the end, I may end up wanting something more tame. I can add cat resonator tubes ($750) or use my OEM cats, should I need to tone it down (or address drone).

Although I love a gloriously noisy car, I have to say I've also quickly grown to appreciate the quiet, subtle monster Porsche engineered. I took the wife wine tasting in Napa with the stock exhaust and recognized it would be a whole different experience, with catless, straight exhaust.In the end, I may end up wanting something more tame. I may turn the car into something I no longer want to take wine tasting. Not sure that'll be the longer term, preferred result. In addition to my own bad hearing and tinnitus (years of being in a band, racing bikes, etc), I'm also starting to practice a tad less "douchebaggery'. I don't want to be that guy burbling and shotgun popping at 14 miles per hour around my neighborhood. I'm sure the kid across the street with the modified BRZ wouldn't mind but...

I agree, you can simply go cat bypass tubes and have a completely different beast. That may be a good compromise. Unacceptable spousal levels of douchebaggery can pretty much be toggled on and off with the sport plus button and different right pedal technique.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:28 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Zunnsport grills and OEM floor mats with yellow stitching to match rest of interior

The following users liked this post:
MotoJB (12-28-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 05:37 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Originally Posted by trice9
Zunnsport grills and OEM floor mats with yellow stitching to match rest of interior

nice touch with yellow stitching on floor mats!
👍

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?