Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:45 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7
Sure?
991.2 RS only PDK...
Yea... I question everything at this point. When an RS owner goes to the lengths of putting a manual in his car... they took notice if they hadn't already. I'm thinking there may just be an RS version with a manual again at some point.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:03 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yea... I question everything at this point. When an RS owner goes to the lengths of putting a manual in his car... they took notice if they hadn't already. I'm thinking there may just be an RS version with a manual again at some point.
One is always right to question. I wouldn't get my hopes up on getting a 991.2rs with a MT.

Back on OPs question. So hard to give advice on car buying. I'm a very impatient man. If I've decided I want a new toy. I want it yesterday. Some prefer to spec it themself and wait 9months to get it delivered.
A 991rs can be had today.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:33 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

A question I just went through myself....I will likely have a .2 GT3 allocation and then thought about a .1RS, which I could have now....like you would have stuck with PDK regardless....I really want an RS.... so why not wait for the .2RS I asked.....because there's no chance of me getting an allocation.

I would be waiting until this point in the time probably a couple years, maybe longer, from now for the .2 when prices over MSRP get a little more reasonable on used ones....I'm buying for today, and not worrying about if it will take a slight depreciation hit....all cars will at some point. Go with your gut....
Old 07-16-2017, 07:38 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

OP - if i were you, i would go with the .2 even if you order it in PDK. The reason for this is the .1 engine issue is claimed to also affect the RS and R (although no proof as of yet).

Also, the .2 in both manual and PDK have beat the RS lap times on the ring. That tells you in terms of value, you will pay less for .2 (something newer even than .1 RS) and get better performance.

You mentioned how great it is in PDK to go to 9,000 now imagine doing that with a manual, i only see that experience to be more of an event. Not trying to convince you on PDK / manual i am just saying it will be as thrilling if not more in my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide, the RS is a stunning looking car, either choice will be a good choice was just trying to highlight the advantages of going with the .2
Old 07-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Good luck with your choice. First question is do you want to drive now vs later? The depreciation conversations are old and dumb which I wouldn't listen too......it's a car they all depreciate. By the way .1 GT3's are still selling close to MSRP built in 2015? No one on this board can produce RS's going to the second buyer at MSRP ....decent deal for RS is still around 10% over. Some greed our there at 20% over, but some dealers are in the car deep.

By the way I'm not a RS homer that it the holy grail, but I will saw its pretty dawn good and looks awesome. I have a .2 GT3 allocation at MSRP, but I rather have another RS. So for me I will drive the crap out my RS, and enjoy for what it is today. You never catch up in the car game chasing the new toy, because the next one is coming history proves it. I live for the now vs waiting for what could happen later waiting as I enjoying driving today. If you have a gt3 at MSRP manual with a delivery within 6 months I would do that? Lot of variables not wrong or right so good luck! I actually prefer my RS in PDK works for me, and I smile every time when I pull out purple rain
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2017, 08:37 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I would stay away from the 991 generation. If you are desperate for an RS, get on the list for a new one !
Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by bccars
I would stay away from the 991 generation. If you are desperate for an RS, get on the list for a new one !
That makes absolutely zero sense. The "new" RS is still in the 991 pedigree.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:44 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
++ same opinion

get a 997.2 RS or 991R
​​​​​​​
Old 07-16-2017, 01:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Historically you will lose less on the RS.
Assuming they drive similarly and you want PDK then that's what I would do.
Only negative is that the track insurance and tires are a bit more expensive for the RS but that could be earned back through lesser depreciation.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryC
Hi all,

I have an Oct build 991.2 GT3 on order and have the opportunity to pick up an RS with 94 miles on it. The RS is going to be more expensive but not faster. I've been wanting an RS but the rational side of me is having a hard time justifying the price delta. I also worry that the value of the RS will take a hit when the .2 comes out. But still - it's an RS!

Looking for opinions on which path to take on this one.... Would also like to hear opinions on a fair price. It's a $210k msrp car so it's pretty loaded but does have 18ways instead of buckets.

Thanks!
Barry
RS all day every day. Not even a question or doubt in my mind for a nano second.... depending on price delta of course.

.2GT3 has same valve train as the RSR and '16 GT3R with some other similarities in the engine but there are quite a bit of diffreenc anddeviations.. quite a bit vis a vis the factory RSR. It is NOT the exactly same motor. If you wanted the "same" motor as the RSR the engine alone would cost $300K. I chuckle when everyone here says "its the same engine". Guest89(Dave) has laid this out clearly and unrefutably.

.1GT3RS has a "Motorsport" engine to same extent as .2GT3 since the '15GT3R ran the "same" motor with same valve train as the '16 .1GT3RS in '15. If that's important to you. The new GT2RS doesn't have "motorsport" motivation under the hood either. Its a suped up/beefed up TTS motor.

.2GT3 and .1GT3RS have nearly identical performance figures but keep in mind .2GT3 is using superior shoes with the new N2 MPCS. Shoes make a huge difference. I really believe that in light of the still better aero and wider track on the RS given the same shoes the RS would throw down faster times.

Bottom line, the RS with 94 miles at a $210 MSRP in todays market is a $25K to $30K over car. Without LWB maybe a 10K less than that.

Yes, the .2GT3RS is apparently coming. Remember the prices on the .1GT3RS for the first 2 years? Do you have any good reason to think price gouging at dealers will suddenly diappear? If so please enlighten me.

Expect the new .2GT3RS to be going for $75K to $100K over list which means .1GTRS prices will be stable if not go up slightly. Especially if there is no major upgrade in performance.

I don't know if anyone said this but its true. "An RS is an RS". Foolish to dimiss that.

I can tell you that I had my RS parked in front of an ice cream stand last evening when we stopped for some ices. There were no less than 3 comments on the car and at least 2 cars slowed to look at it. One was almost rearended.

Man, just look at it. You tell me.

Name:  GT3RS satin finish.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  136.0 KB

Old 07-16-2017, 03:14 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm going through this same struggle - but whether to keep RS or trade it for the new .2 GT3. The RS is just amazing on the track. And it looks awesome. I'm not as concerned about the depreciation - I think it's hard to enjoy a car when you obsess about the value. I struggle with how the GT3 could be materially better. And how terrible the break in period on the MT would be...
Old 07-16-2017, 03:58 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryC
Hi all,

I have an Oct build 991.2 GT3 on order and have the opportunity to pick up an RS with 94 miles on it. The RS is going to be more expensive but not faster. I've been wanting an RS but the rational side of me is having a hard time justifying the price delta. I also worry that the value of the RS will take a hit when the .2 comes out. But still - it's an RS!

Looking for opinions on which path to take on this one.... Would also like to hear opinions on a fair price. It's a $210k msrp car so it's pretty loaded but does have 18ways instead of buckets.

Thanks!
Barry
What is your goal? If this is your first or an intermediate step get the .2 GT3 enjoy it, then move on as so many do to the RS of whatever gen you choose down the road. If this is the only move or last move then treat yourself to an RS which will always be a bit " better " whatever that means. Remember in two years whatever you buy will be bested by the march of time and technology.

Few us can utilize the full capabilities of either so the speed/performance differential is more for bragging rights than real world use. Once you get to the RS level going back to a GT3 has less significance unless you really want a manual which is a unique difference this time around.

Enjoy whatever your choice.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:10 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by Waxer
That's the pic right there! That's the one that ultimately sold me
Old 07-16-2017, 05:35 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 575 Posts

may be this will sell you
Old 07-16-2017, 06:25 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

For me I'm going with a new .2 GT3(PDK) and also have an October build date with January delivery. I will be getting a new car that I specd instead of a used car(even at 94 miles, its used) that someone else specd and I positively would want the LWB seats in an RS, sofas in an RS makes no sense to me. Now for the biggest reason for a new .2, the price and performance. I love the fact that for +- $40-50k less for the new .2 than a used .1RS, you will have a newer version of the 4.0 with better all around performance. The fact that it will be my personally specd car along with the better performance, lower price and newer infotainment/rear camera/sat radio(doesn't matter to most but matters to me on long trips or driving to the track,lol), its a no brainer for me. The only positive I see going with the .1 RS over the .2 3 is that the RS might look better to some, not all(that's obviously an opinion) and might hold value, but I don't care about value I just want to drive these cars and enjoy them.
OP, good luck with your decision, you honestly can't go wrong with either of these badass cars.

Quick Reply: GT3RS w/ 94 Miles or 991.2 GT3?