Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS w/ 94 Miles or 991.2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:38 PM
AustinClimber511
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny. I have a 2016 McLaren 650S Spider and am reading this thread to decide between a 991.1 GT3RS and 991.2 GT3. I'm leaning heavily towards the RS.

My 650S issues to date:
- Overheats during a 30 minute track session on COTA due to inadequate turbo/engine cooling. Nothing catastrophic but reduces performance as it heats up.
- Stock camber setup is woefully inadequate on Toyo 888s much less Hoosiers. Have to add pretty significant camber which requires plates, etc. to get right without rub/fender impact
- Have had the hard top roof go out already. Took 3 trips to the dealer (6 weeks total) to get fixed
- Soft close doors have intermittent failure where they won't shut or refuse to open even when the mechanical release is used. Had to pull fuses to reset the system to get out of the driver side door. Scary when you consider getting stuck on track in case of an accident/fire.

The camber issue is fixable and the soft close door issue is addressable with the new generation mechanism but the overheating requires the 675LT intake cooling side skirts. It's frustrating to have an exotic car built for the track that can't take real track use. Oh yeah, and then there is a the turbo torque cliff. You have to manage gears to keep RPM above 4k or you fall off the turbo cliff torque curve. Getting caught below the cliff mid-turn can result in a scary surprise as 70ftlb of torque suddenly shows up and you're looking at the apex the wrong way. It can be managed once you get used to it but there's nothing like an NA engine. Lastly, the exhaust... disappointing for such an epic car. My fiancé's Boxster S has more character and the 650S has the sport exhaust upgrade.

Nothing is bullet proof or perfect but for the $$ it's hard to beat an NA GT Porsche with PDK for a DD and hard track use.

Look for me in your rear view and then get that left arm ready. ;P

Last edited by AustinClimber511; 07-28-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
I'm just the opposite than you guys/girls about the GT3 and the GT3rs. I like the less "in your face" look of the GT3 and the molded fixed wing over the look of the RS. To me the RS looks like it sits so high riding on those 21's(stock, not lowered) and the wing looks too import looking, like an afterthought. The only other real fast track car out there(common, that we see a lot) with a wing like that is the ACR, the Italian companies and AMG GTR make just as much downforce with less wing, more underbody or active aero. Since I drive my cars, I could care less about resale since in reality these cars are not investments. I feel just as special driving my GT3 than you all in your RS's. If I was going to step up and spend more money(over 200k) than my .2 GT3 coming(184k), my choice would definitely not be a .1 GT3RS, I would be going the McLaren or used 458/488 route. Just my opinion, we all have our own and I guarantee we are all happy with our choices of cars owned.
it it appears you will spend at least $60k more for a 488 over an RS. Not sure if the delta in performance is worth it. Not to me but I was never moved by Ferraris any way but it's a choice between styles and brands. Plus you have turbo vs NA.

GT3 to RS is a choice between the highest expression of performance 911 model and the and penultimate NA GT3 i.e. RS which has tremdous significance within the brand and is highly valued within the Porsche world.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

It depends on what 488 and GT3rs, could be as little as 20k difference.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Ferrari...9ZckOc&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Porsche...lZVwF6&vxp=mtr

I agree that the GT3rs is highly valued within the Porsche world, but not all worlds. I stand by what I said that if I was to be buying a car in the 200-300k range, the GT3rs would not even be a thought. As for me and my price spending right now, the .2 GT3 fits perfect and imo looks better than the RS. I could care less about significance in the Porsche world or the resale value. I guess I'm just not brand loyal and I don't enjoy stroking manufactures off just to be able to actually purchase a car. Porsche enthusiast are very loyal, but I believe that many other manufacturers are passing Porsche up with the performance numbers on the track. PAC needs to step it up imo or they are going to keep losing customers to McLaren and MB AMG GTr, hell, even to American made vehicles now a days(joke,lol)
What Porsche GT cars offer above all others is the consistency lap after lap with very little issues, This is where Porsche shines.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 07-28-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:41 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

It depends on what 488 and GT3rs, could be as little as 20k difference.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Ferrari...9ZckOc&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Porsche...lZVwF6&vxp=mtr

I agree that the GT3rs is highly valued within the Porsche world, but not all worlds. I stand by what I said that if I was to be buying a car in the 200-300k range, the GT3rs would not even be a thought. As for me and my price spending right now, the .2 GT3 fits perfect and imo looks better than the RS. I could care less about significance in the Porsche world or the resale value. I guess I'm just not brand loyal and I don't enjoy stroking manufactures off just to be able to actually purchase a car. Porsche enthusiast are very loyal, but I believe that many other manufacturers are passing Porsche up with the performance numbers on the track. PAC needs to step it up imo or they are going to keep losing customers to McLaren and MB AMG GTr, hell, even to American made vehicles now a days(joke,lol)
What Porsche GT cars offer above all others is the consistency lap after lap with very little issues, This is where Porsche shines.
.2 GT3 did 7.12 on the ring the AMG GT R did 7.10 bur the competitor for the GT R is the RS i am sure the .2 RS will have a better time than 7.10 at the ring

GT2 RS will probably be below 7 anyway for sure go with .2 Gt3 for NA or wait for the .2 RS
Old 07-29-2017, 09:34 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Wise words from RobbieRob !
Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm just the opposite than you guys/girls about the GT3 and the GT3rs. I like the less "in your face" look of the GT3 and the molded fixed wing over the look of the RS. To me the RS looks like it sits so high riding on those 21's(stock, not lowered) and the wing looks too import looking, like an afterthought. The only other real fast track car out there(common, that we see a lot) with a wing like that is the ACR, the Italian companies and AMG GTR make just as much downforce with less wing, more underbody or active aero. Since I drive my cars, I could care less about resale since in reality these cars are not investments. I feel just as special driving my GT3 than you all in your RS's. If I was going to step up and spend more money(over 200k) than my .2 GT3 coming(184k), my choice would definitely not be a .1 GT3RS, I would be going the McLaren or used 458/488 route. Just my opinion, we all have our own and I guarantee we are all happy with our choices of cars owned.
AMG GTR and Italian companies make more down force than ACR 2000 lb.s. that's just not true which is why the ACR top speed is 176 telling people you feel just as special in a GT3 on the street is fine but on a race track less down force trying to keep up with an RS will cause you to feel differently after a spin.

These are all great cars really great - curious why you think wing looks too import if the car is truly track focus looks are second to function.

My 360 Challenge car with a wing was faster than a 430 Challenge car without wing on short tracks - Ferrari changed the rules and added an aero wing kit because they needed down force the new levels of hp are to be honest insane without a wing 200 mph cars are serious business I prefer windy roads than straight. Anyway these factories are IMO nuts (though I love it) offering these cars to us

Last edited by nuvolari612; 07-29-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:44 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

[QUOTE=nuvolari612;14358478]AMG GTR and Italian companies make more down force than ACR 2000 lb.s. that's just not true which is why the ACR top speed is 176 telling people you feel just as special in a GT3 on the street is fine but on a race track less down force trying to keep up with an RS will cause you to feel differently after a spin.

I never said more downforce, I said just as much, maybe not as much as the ACR which is extreme but as much as the GT3RS. Ok, as for feeling special in my GT3 on the street but not on the track comment you made. Really? The .2 GT3 is 8 seconds faster around the RING, .1 to .1 the GT3rs is one of the few cars that Randy Pobst spun at Big Willow, numerous times and he went on about how the RS doesn't make you feel as confident on the track as the GT3 does. Its a good article, read paragraph 5. As an amateur track driver like I am, most people will go faster in a GT3 on the track than the GT3rs. We all know it depends on the driver, so I won't be spinning to keep up with an RS but actually could be the other way around.
Lastly, I am not trying to put down an RS, it is a special car, but for the pricing and all the Porsche drama trying to get the one you want that goes along with it, I wouldn't even consider it in the 200-300k range of cars. And I say that because I am not a hardcore track person, 2-3 times a year, which in reality is more than most. Most never see the track.

Article- http://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodge...he-911-gt3-rs/
Old 07-29-2017, 01:25 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Very simply, we all like what we like. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

I like F cars. I'm a car guy. But they don't move me enough to get one. I love Mac's but the resale is a killer and I can't afford to take a $90K hit on a car in 2 years.

I would love to get a 720S but again resale is a killer.

If I get offered a GT2RS I'm on the fence because of TT vs. NA and the price but I am fairly confident the car will hold its value very well even if it doesn't appreciate.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:42 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Originally Posted by Waxer
Very simply, we all like what we like. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

I like F cars. I'm a car guy. But they don't move me enough to get one. I love Mac's but the resale is a killer and I can't afford to take a $90K hit on a car in 2 years.

I would love to get a 720S but again resale is a killer.

If I get offered a GT2RS I'm on the fence because of TT vs. NA and the price but I am fairly confident the car will hold its value very well even if it doesn't appreciate.

I agree with you, it is a good time to be alive as a car enthusiast, so many options.
Yes, the resale, even though it is not my main concern, is just horrific with the Mclarens, that is why I chose my next car to be the .2 GT3 and not a low mileage used 570s.
Waxer, unfortunately in the future, we all will be driving TT cars, it is inevitable and it will be a sad time.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Both cars are great. The right answer is to buy the one that calls to you, factoring in cost/depreciation to the extent that it matters to you.

RS will always have a special blinginess and extra measure of intensity, but new .2 GT3 is looking really good too, with the punchy engine, sound, handling, performance, etc. The .2RS will surpass all of them ...
Old 07-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

If I was making the decision based on a quick fling, I'd buy the .2gt3. I would want to try the new engine and Porsche's latest and greatest offering (and I've already owned an 991.1rs). My biggest complaint about the 991.1gt's to-date vs the outgoing 987's is the engine; not nearly the same level of thrill. Just about everything else on the 991 smokes the 997.

If I was deciding between the two to keep "forever" I'd go with the RS. The performance between the two will be negligible long term and it will be about what moves you more when you look at it and get behind the wheel for a Sunday drive. There will be a new toy out that makes both of them feel like a 964rs feels today. At that point, i'd rather have the purple, massive wing, wide *** machine I just sold. In the near term, I want the latest/greatest experience I haven't tried yet; and that's the .2gt3. Until the 2rs and then until the .3-3rs. I'd hope to try all of them.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:08 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Can't get a GT3 a lot MACs for sale down south.
http://motorcarsofgeorgia.com/used/cars/atlanta-ga
Old 07-30-2017, 09:30 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Interesting discussion here and one I had with a few friends last night over some drinks.. The irony that the RS (highest expression of track capable 911 and penultimate NA in porsche world) is now more likely to be spotted at a C&C rather than a track event.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:19 PM
BarryC
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi all - thanks for all of your feedback! I picked up the RS yesterday and am keeping my .2 on order. I'll decide which car to keep once my .2 arrives. The RS really is quite special! Ive had a couple 991 GT3's already but the RS really is on another level. So it'll be interesting to see which car wins my heart...

Barry
Old 07-30-2017, 01:19 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed but it will change once they start depreciating and get back in the hands of the enthusiast. The last 7.1 round went this direction and history will probably repeat with the number of the 991's built.

Quick Reply: GT3RS w/ 94 Miles or 991.2 GT3?